Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting for MY23.5 Order Banks to Open
Occupation
IS Director
Country flag
I know this debate has been posted a million times on these forums, but the recent BC price changes have sparked some doubt in my heart.

i currently have a deposit on a MME GT that will be delivered this summer, but one of the main reasons I’m buying an EV is for the advanced ADAS systems that you currently cant find on ICE vehicles so the 800/year is really pushing me away from a MME and into the open arms of a Model Y LR with Enhanced AP, a lower price, and a full tax credit.

id love to hear some opinions about the current state of both cars and the effeciveness of BC1.2 vs EAP if anyone has used both on recent model cars.

My biggest MY reservations are: Build Quality, Rough Ride/Suspension, and the nearest Service center being 2 hours away.

thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I know this debate has been posted a million times on these forums, but the recent BC price changes have sparked some doubt in my heart.

i currently have a deposit on a MME GT that will be delivered this summer, but one of the main reasons I’m buying an EV is for the advanced ADAS systems that you currently cant find on ICE vehicles so the 800/year is really pushing me away from a MME and into the open arms of a Model Y LR with Enhanced AP, a lower price, and a full tax credit.

id love to hear some opinions about the current state of both cars and the effeciveness of BC1.2 vs EAP if anyone has used both on recent model cars.

My biggest MY reservations are: Build Quality, Rough Ride/Suspension, and the nearest Service center being 2 hours away.

thanks in advance!
Well, if build quality is that high on your list of reservations then you really need to be prepared if you purchase a Y. It cannot be overstated just how junky that car feels compared to a Mach E. I detailed reasons why in a prior post about a Y and 3 rental (both 2022s at <9K miles) we had for a few weeks early this year. Things like window seals that are misformed such that water leaks in (yes really) or dashboard plastics that creak/resonate constantly even when the road isn’t particularly rough. The Tesla cheer crew can wave away those irritations, but people who desire/demand a solid, quiet vehicle with just a touch of upscale feel will be very disappointed. The Mach E isn’t particularly luxurious imo, but it feels like an S-class Mercedes Benz when you hop into it after a 2-3 week stint in the Teslas. I am not exaggerating. Tesla fooled people into being placed in the Luxury Car bracket based on the S and X models but the 3 and Y are at least 2-3 levels down from those.

As far as the Y AutoPilot/ADAS goes, it performed at least as well as BC, but, there was one spot on the highway section (75mph) where it did a brake tap every time for no reason. I assume this to be the Tesla phantom braking issue that’s being investigated by NHTSA among other things.

The decision would be easy for us as BC is something we use very infrequently. If you *really* need it that bad then maybe check out the Hyundai/Kia EGMP platform EVs or the GM Ultium offerings. as they have really good ADAS and build quality that meets/exceeds the Mach E.

Good luck 👍🏻

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

thanks in advance!
By the Tesla

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I agree about surprising build quality of the Tesla. I was recently upgraded to one as a rental car (Model 3). This was my first time in a Tesla. Coming from my MachE, the Tesla felt like a cheap rental. As this is my only time in a Tesla, maybe they aren't all that way....but I had obviously over estimated them. It squeeked, wind noise was loud, I don't think I'd ever be happy with one. Apparently I value build quality over software quality (come on Ford, step it up).

YouEeee

First Name
Duy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 ford mustang mach e gt
Country flag
My wife driving 2023 model y

For a long trip we use tesla , less bouncy , more space and comfortable , simple to drive

out state price for charging is cheaper also

ryano7700

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have had my MME GT since September.3,800 miles all in city. 1 failed HVBJB replaced.
The MME has radar, apple car play, and blind spot monitors. Those are big pluses to me. I HATE the 5 second thing. I grew up with mustang GT’s and they were fast as you cared to drive them with no limit but common sense.

I rented a MYLR for a week in April and drove it about 2,000 miles. It had 42,000 miles and it was from hertz so probably had a tough life. I am particular and I didn’t notice any poor build quality. I like the seats better than my MME. On the other hand, my 17 year old son, who has ridden in the back of both of them a good bit said that back seats in both suck.

All that being said, if I had known I could get a MYLR right now for about $16k less than I spent for my MME or a MYP for about $11-12k less. No brainer for me. MY all day long! Er, I mean I love my MME. Do you want to buy it?

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag

I haven't driven a Tesla, but they're in my newsfeeds multiple times a week. Tesla Autopilot is probably the most advanced you can get in a vehicle, but it seems like every few months there are reports of dangerous behavior from it, occasionally with deaths resulting. Combine that with Elon Musk's constantly hyping it up and making promises that aren't kept, and I can say that even if I had a Tesla (and I was seriously considering one), I don't think I'd use it. As some others have insultingly put it, with Tesla you're basically paying to be a beta tester. Everyone has different levels of risk that they're willing to put up with but that's too much for me - there's too much at risk. I don't use BlueCruise (not sure if it's even active in my area but don't really care to try) but there is something safer about having a system that is more limited, and recognizes its limitations. I was enthusiastic about Tesla's initiative some years ago but as I've watched its progress over the years, I agree with the accusations that Tesla is being reckless.

A few other things caused Tesla to strike out for me:
1) Lack of CarPlay as an option. Tesla may have the most advanced in-built software system, but I rely heavily on my cellphone's other functions. It hurts every time I drive by a Tesla and see one of those vent- or dash-mounted phone holders. I had one of those back in the early 2000's through the 2010's. It's 2023 and this is supposed to be one of the most technologically advanced cars you can buy. No thanks. I could overlook it through the mid-2010's but by the late 2010's CarPlay was pretty widespread. To not even have it as an option is pretty sad.

2) No radar or proximity sensing (technically, ultrasonic sensors). Tesla have become "high on their own supply" when it comes to hyping up artificial intelligence and visual recognition. I don't want my car to function about as well as I do, I want it to either do better or to give me something more than what I can get with my own two eyes. I only recently started driving vehicles with proximity sensors and it is immensely useful. Again, it's 2023 and this is supposed to be an advanced vehicle with some of the best features, yet it's missing out on something that is incredibly useful to anyone who does driving in tight quarters.

3) No 360 camera. I love the Tesla Sentry system and the variety of cameras for documenting traffic incidents and vandalism, but in theory you can add cameras to get a similar effect. I use the 360 camera system multiple times a day for determining how close I am to a curb, aligning in a parking stall, and (usually in coordination with the proximity sensors) making sure I am far enough into a parking stall without hitting anything, and also not hanging out of a stall. The Tesla cameras can likely be used to estimate similar things, but the 360 camera system seems superior for those purposes, and unlike being able to add front- and back-facing dash cams to your Mach-E, I don't believe you can add 360 functionality to a Tesla.

Are any of those features critical? No; I drove for years without them, and I could do so again. But again, it's 2023, these features are becoming standard on even mid-range vehicles, and Tesla doesn't have them. What you get is the best charging network and what is arguably the best motor-battery performance regardless of the season, but as far as I can see, that's about it for the advantages. Maybe those matter heavily for you, and if so, Tesla should still be a contender. Otherwise, look at the Mach-E, or the electric offering from Kia and Hyundai.

OP
OP

thackworth12

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IS Director
Country flag
I haven't driven a Tesla, but they're in my newsfeeds multiple times a week. Tesla Autopilot is probably the most advanced you can get in a vehicle, but it seems like every few months there are reports of dangerous behavior from it, occasionally with deaths resulting. Combine that with Elon Musk's constantly hyping it up and making promises that aren't kept, and I can say that even if I had a Tesla (and I was seriously considering one), I don't think I'd use it. As some others have insultingly put it, with Tesla you're basically paying to be a beta tester. Everyone has different levels of risk that they're willing to put up with but that's too much for me - there's too much at risk. I don't use BlueCruise (not sure if it's even active in my area but don't really care to try) but there is something safer about having a system that is more limited, and recognizes its limitations. I was enthusiastic about Tesla's initiative some years ago but as I've watched its progress over the years, I agree with the accusations that Tesla is being reckless.

A few other things caused Tesla to strike out for me:
1) Lack of CarPlay as an option. Tesla may have the most advanced in-built software system, but I rely heavily on my cellphone's other functions. It hurts every time I drive by a Tesla and see one of those vent- or dash-mounted phone holders. I had one of those back in the early 2000's through the 2010's. It's 2023 and this is supposed to be one of the most technologically advanced cars you can buy. No thanks. I could overlook it through the mid-2010's but by the late 2010's CarPlay was pretty widespread. To not even have it as an option is pretty sad.

2) No radar or proximity sensing (technically, ultrasonic sensors). Tesla have become "high on their own supply" when it comes to hyping up artificial intelligence and visual recognition. I don't want my car to function about as well as I do, I want it to either do better or to give me something more than what I can get with my own two eyes. I only recently started driving vehicles with proximity sensors and it is immensely useful. Again, it's 2023 and this is supposed to be an advanced vehicle with some of the best features, yet it's missing out on something that is incredibly useful to anyone who does driving in tight quarters.

3) No 360 camera. I love the Tesla Sentry system and the variety of cameras for documenting traffic incidents and vandalism, but in theory you can add cameras to get a similar effect. I use the 360 camera system multiple times a day for determining how close I am to a curb, aligning in a parking stall, and (usually in coordination with the proximity sensors) making sure I am far enough into a parking stall without hitting anything, and also not hanging out of a stall. The Tesla cameras can likely be used to estimate similar things, but the 360 camera system seems superior for those purposes, and unlike being able to add front- and back-facing dash cams to your Mach-E, I don't believe you can add 360 functionality to a Tesla.

Are any of those features critical? No; I drove for years without them, and I could do so again. But again, it's 2023, these features are becoming standard on even mid-range vehicles, and Tesla doesn't have them. What you get is the best charging network and what is arguably the best motor-battery performance regardless of the season, but as far as I can see, that's about it for the advantages. Maybe those matter heavily for you, and if so, Tesla should still be a contender. Otherwise, look at the Mach-E, or the electric offering from Kia and Hyundai.
Thanks for the good write up! I ended up choosing the Model Y, specifically for the charging(network and speed), included AP with no subscription(optional monthly sub for fsd during roadtrip season) and most heavily price.

After all taxes, fees, and an unavoidable ADM the machE was about 70k with only 3,250 tax incentive, while a MYLR to my desired spec is around 52k with a 7500 tax rebate, too big a price difference to ignore even without factoring in 800/yr for BC1.2 for all years past 3 of ownership.

Ive been living in a base trim 2018 Rav4 with no USS or carplay so while those features should probably be standard, they aren’t something I’ll miss cause Ive never had them.

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Do you want to tow? The Model Y is rated to tow. Do you need to be able to navigate narrow gaps or fit in a tight garage? The Mach-E has ultrasonic sensors and 360 degree camera. Do you road trip, and if so, quick rest stops or slower ones? If you prefer to keep your stops brief, 10-15 minutes max, Model Y. If you are fine with taking a bit longer because everyone in the car needs to pee, stretch their legs, grab some food, etc, before hitting the road again, the Mach-E should be fine. Do you trust Elon Musk to not yank something else like the ultrasonic sensors before the replacement to operate a useful feature of the car is available? How much does it bother you that the price of BlueCruise has gone up a lot? How do you feel about not having a driver display, and looking at the center screen for stuff like speed? These are the things I've been asking myself, because both cars are tempting, though for me, there's also a question of how much do I dislike the thought of giving Musk even more money, but I get that isn't necessarily a concern for everyone. I also think, is either car the one I really want, because reliability is a huge concern for me (I am used to Toyota reliability, but their EV is not necessarily the right car for me, unfortunately.)

Good luck with your choice. There are a lot of people who like both cars, so odds are that you'll be happy either way. It just is a question of where your priorities lie.

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Thanks for the good write up! I ended up choosing the Model Y, specifically for the charging(network and speed), included AP with no subscription(optional monthly sub for fsd during roadtrip season) and most heavily price.

After all taxes, fees, and an unavoidable ADM the machE was about 70k with only 3,250 tax incentive, while a MYLR to my desired spec is around 52k with a 7500 tax rebate, too big a price difference to ignore even without factoring in 800/yr for BC1.2 for all years past 3 of ownership.

Ive been living in a base trim 2018 Rav4 with no USS or carplay so while those features should probably be standard, they aren’t something I’ll miss cause Ive never had them.
Hah, I was too slow. Congrats on your purchase!

Msnwcpa

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mme ordered, Lexus hybrid, Toyota hybrid
Occupation
IT
Do you want to tow? The Model Y is rated to tow. Do you need to be able to navigate narrow gaps or fit in a tight garage? The Mach-E has ultrasonic sensors and 360 degree camera. Do you road trip, and if so, quick rest stops or slower ones? If you prefer to keep your stops brief, 10-15 minutes max, Model Y. If you are fine with taking a bit longer because everyone in the car needs to pee, stretch their legs, grab some food, etc, before hitting the road again, the Mach-E should be fine. Do you trust Elon Musk to not yank something else like the ultrasonic sensors before the replacement to operate a useful feature of the car is available? How much does it bother you that the price of BlueCruise has gone up a lot? How do you feel about not having a driver display, and looking at the center screen for stuff like speed? These are the things I've been asking myself, because both cars are tempting, though for me, there's also a question of how much do I dislike the thought of giving Musk even more money, but I get that isn't necessarily a concern for everyone. I also think, is either car the one I really want, because reliability is a huge concern for me (I am used to Toyota reliability, but their EV is not necessarily the right car for me, unfortunately.)

Good luck with your choice. There are a lot of people who like both cars, so odds are that you'll be happy either way. It just is a question of where your priorities lie.
Yes! The selection of the car should be based on priorities and most people on this forum seem unbiased towards MME / Tesla.

Msnwcpa

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mme ordered, Lexus hybrid, Toyota hybrid
Occupation
IT

Congrats! Makes perfect sense.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Why are you looking at a MME - which has sports-car-ish suspension?

There are other EVs with more compliant suspensions and are available - EV6, Ioniq 5, ID.4, Lyriq, GV60, BMW i4, BMW iX, Audi e-trons, etc.

This.

I talked my brother in Austin to test drive a bunch of EVs last week and I joined him. I found the 3/Y to be as rough as I remembered and he really liked the Ioniq 5. However, he told me straight up due to price he'd pick the Model 3 RWD if he bought an EV. He preferred the suspension/ride of the Ioniq 5 and many other things but for $10K less he'd pick the cheaper EV.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP

thackworth12

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IS Director
Country flag
Why are you looking at a MME - which has sports-car-ish suspension?

There are other EVs with more compliant suspensions and are available - EV6, Ioniq 5, ID.4, Lyriq, GV60, BMW i4, BMW iX, Audi e-trons, etc.
I was mostly looking at the MME and the MY as the only two models that don't have an instant 'deal breaker' for me. For reference, I heavily considered the Ioniq, but the fact that current year models can't use Iphone PAAK it killed it for me.
Sponsored