Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Your opinion seems to be from the viewpoint of a driver that gives 0 Fs about 1/4 mile numbers. Looks and handling may get it done for you. And that is ok.

But, Ford chose to name their 1st true EV Mustang, then chose to offer a GT variant, and, a Performance Edition to top it off. Said GTs are not able to match the regular 4X in 1/4 mile trap speed, and, that is actually unprecedented in the Mustang world. 5 second blasts were not disclosed. Mustang faithful looking to jump to EVs are justifiably upset. Many Mustang owners go to racetracks, 1/8th, 1/4 mile and road courses. Many were excited to have a Performance EV Mustang to do this.

Ford stated the Y as a target and they exceeded it in many ways. It’s a better overall vehicle. Problem is, the mainstream auto reviewers are calling them out on the woeful trap speed, as they should if they’re doing their jobs.

The bigger problem may be the future.
Mustang is going hybrid next year. Full EV is shortly thereafter. So, now what? What does this issue do for Ford’s EV cred once they bring a full Bev Stang GT coupe to market? When all of the EV performance comp is running expected trap speeds etc.? It’s not good.
Totally fair comment - I wasn’t thinking about Mustang GT owner’s expectations…
Sponsored

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Uhh…..

Have you read all the Mach E vs Model Y comparison tests?

Ford made a bad first impression, over and over on acceleration.

Literally every comparison article or video hangs on the fact that the Mach E is slower. In fact, that little tidbit is the only reason it KEEPS losing comparison tests.
I have…seen most. I think harping on a single metric is a little bit thin. Sure, I get it’s supposed fly the Mustang GT flag, and it’s not winning. But how many people are honestly going to make a purchase decision as big as this one based on a *single* metric. Too shallow for me….

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I have…seen most. I think harping on a single metric is a little bit thin. Sure, I get it’s supposed fly the Mustang GT flag, and it’s not winning. But how many people are honestly going to make a purchase decision as big as this one based on a *single* metric. Too shallow for me….
Not everyone getting a GTPE will be just looking at a single metric, if people look at the GTPE as what it really is which namely a premium + then they I think they will be happy. However thanks to Fords marketing a naming people are quite right to look at the performance with a very critical eye and on this front in present form it comes up very short.

If I take of my just wanted the manegride so wasn't interest in performance hat off and instead put on my performance hat and look at the my GTPE objectively, handling wise there is the weight issue to deal with so I will cut the GTPE some slack there but it has a steering ratio better suited to a bus than a performance vehicle :(, I can somewhat understand Ford with not wanting a produce to some would be a twitchy feeling a heavy vehicle, but it is not good enough by performance Fords standards.

Brakes are adequate and the blended braking feel is good, but it needs a better tire / wheel package. I can understand range concerns as all mach-e suffer from being under tired and under wheeled compared to the competition so this is an issue across the board.

So that generally leaves it down to what is the only true BEV performance party piece at the moment and that is acceleration. The tiny teaser (as mentioned above that 5 seconds limit is only in ideal situations most of the time you get a lot less) you get the GTPE for a vehicle with performance edition in the naming simply isn't good enough.

With more competition on the horizon marketing a performance edition that lacks performance is going to be a hard sell long term so Ford will either need to change marketing direction or actually fix the problem.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Shallow?

Now there are correct and incorrect reasons to buy a car? ?

I’ve seen many people pick a car based on color alone. And that’s FINE!

Acceleration is something people pay thousands, even 10’s of thousands of dollars to get more of. Obviously you don’t care about it, but why insult people about their reasons for liking or not liking a car?

I mean seriously…….. acceleration is the biggest difference between a premium and a GT. So I guess everyone who pays extra for the GT must be shallow…..

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Shallow?

Now there are correct and incorrect reasons to buy a car? ?

I’ve seen many people pick a car based on color alone. And that’s FINE!

Acceleration is something people pay thousands, even 10’s of thousands of dollars to get more of. Obviously you don’t care about it, but why insult people about their reasons for liking or not liking a car?

I mean seriously…….. acceleration is the biggest difference between a premium and a GT. So I guess everyone who pays extra for the GT must be shallow…..
Hang on here folks - I think we've lost sight of the original topic in this post. My comments are aimed at MotorTrend, not GT owners. I'm defending Ford and the GT here.

But I do like how passionate people are when they think I've called them shallow for choosing acceleration / HP / ¼ mile times over all else. I've been a card-carrying NHRA fan since I was a teenager (I even had a John Force poster), I've watched tractor pulls, monster truck races, snowmobile races - if it has a motor and you can race it, I'm in. I raced RC cars - and yes, people even raced RC "top-fuel" cars on carpet tracks. And if I could afford a GT PE I'd have one in a heartbeat (to go along with a 911 GT3 which I also can't afford), but I would not give a sh*t about the 5-sec cut-off, or the fact that it's "sluggish" to 120 MPH. And I get that at some level it matters, but on other levels it doesn't at all. That's my point.

All on the same team here folks...

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hang on here folks - I think we've lost sight of the original topic in this post. My comments are aimed at MotorTrend, not GT owners. I'm defending Ford and the GT here.

But I do like how passionate people are when they think I've called them shallow for choosing acceleration / HP / ¼ mile times over all else. I've been a card-carrying NHRA fan since I was a teenager (I even had a John Force poster), I've watched tractor pulls, monster truck races, snowmobile races - if it has a motor and you can race it, I'm in. I raced RC cars - and yes, people even raced RC "top-fuel" cars on carpet tracks. And if I could afford a GT PE I'd have one in a heartbeat (to go along with a 911 GT3 which I also can't afford), but I would not give a sh*t about the 5-sec cut-off, or the fact that it's "sluggish" to 120 MPH. And I get that at some level it matters, but on other levels it doesn't at all. That's my point.

Ok that makes more sense, and I agree, with one exception. I do think it’s shallow to harp on the one acceleration thing when it has better performance in every other aspect.

However, I’m glad they harp on it because hopefully the negative press will pressure Ford to do something about it.

As far as I can tell, no article has patted Ford on the back for being safe and conservative with the 5 second limit. Pretty much everyone thinks it’s stupid and unnecessary.

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag

You’re right, we are on the same team. Ford is in need of some tough love for failing to disclose what Porsche, BMW, Polestar, Hyundai/Kia do regarding their EV power outputs. Momentary 480/634 for 5 secs should have been part of a “Launch Control” or “Passing Boost” spec. After that, you get 300/400 or whatever. That’s what the others do.

The Base Porsche Taycan with the PBP option states something like 469hp in LC mode but 375hp continuous or thereabouts.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/taycan/taycan-models/

As it stands, it’s deceptive advertising on Ford’s part. And that’s why the media is crucifying the GT on the 5 sec. Issue.

Last edited:

Lookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Country flag
I'm a performance oriented person so of course I would, but I have another car that would destroy this in the 1/4 mile so at the end of the day I'm not really concerned with it dropping off a little after reaching highway speeds. It's still a very high functioning daily driver for 99% of what I use it for.
Just wondering what car destroys the MME GTPE in the 1/4 mile? Is it stock?

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Ok that makes more sense, and I agree, with one exception. I do think it’s shallow to harp on the one acceleration thing when it has better performance in every other aspect.

However, I’m glad they harp on it because hopefully the negative press will pressure Ford to do something about it.

As far as I can tell, no article has patted Ford on the back for being safe and conservative with the 5 second limit. Pretty much everyone thinks it’s stupid and unnecessary.
True!

bristol16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE, '15 SS
Country flag
Just wondering what car destroys the MME GTPE in the 1/4 mile? Is it stock?
The other car is not stock, which is why buying a drag car for my daily driver wasn't as important as buying a good all-around sporty vehicle like the Mustang. I have a Chevy SS with a Whipple supercharger, cam, exhaust, and some other supporting mods done to it. They run in the 12s stock at 110ish MPH. I'm sure the Mustang would have an advantage off the line, but the SS hooks up very well despite its power (and being RWD with a manual trans) and also weighs 1,000lbs less and would run it down quickly. Also no 5 second power limit on the SS :)

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
The other car is not stock, which is why buying a drag car for my daily driver wasn't as important as buying a good all-around sporty vehicle like the Mustang. I have a Chevy SS with a Whipple supercharger, cam, exhaust, and some other supporting mods done to it. They run in the 12s stock at 110ish MPH. I'm sure the Mustang would have an advantage off the line, but the SS hooks up very well despite its power (and being RWD with a manual trans) and also weighs 1,000lbs less and would run it down quickly. Also no 5 second power limit on the SS :)
Yep, can confirm. Mine just has tune, axle back and CAI and I’m 12.2-12.4@115-117 already. Was 12.7-12.8@111-112mph stock. Bet you’re near/at 130mph traps with the Whipple (2.9?).
Ford Mustang Mach-E MotorTrend: Mach-E GT PE vs. Model Y Performance comparison C1CCE21F-C8DE-46F8-9050-3BD05A5E3E00

I think I can hear @Mach1E sobbing in a corner right now. ???

bristol16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE, '15 SS
Country flag
Yep, can confirm. Mine just has tune, axle back and CAI and I’m 12.2-12.4@115-117 already. Was 12.7-12.8@111-112mph stock. Bet you’re near/at 130mph traps with the Whipple (2.9?).
C1CCE21F-C8DE-46F8-9050-3BD05A5E3E00.jpeg

I think I can hear @Mach1E sobbing in a corner right now. ???
Yep, 2.9L. Don't feel bad @Mach1E , my car is in the corner waiting on the nice weather again...Mass winters suck. One of my favorite cars I have ever owned, a true holy grail car for me. Some day (soon) 4 door cars with a huge V8 and a manual trans will be a thing of the past and that makes me sad. Those that enjoy them better do so while they can.
Ford Mustang Mach-E MotorTrend: Mach-E GT PE vs. Model Y Performance comparison IMG_6089
Ford Mustang Mach-E MotorTrend: Mach-E GT PE vs. Model Y Performance comparison IMG_6130

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep, 2.9L. Don't feel bad @Mach1E , my car is in the corner waiting on the nice weather again...Mass winters suck. One of my favorite cars I have ever owned, a true holy grail car for me. Some day (soon) 4 door cars with a huge V8 and a manual trans will be a thing of the past and that makes me sad. Those that enjoy them better do so while they can.
Ford Mustang Mach-E MotorTrend: Mach-E GT PE vs. Model Y Performance comparison IMG_6130
I loved my SS, was a great car. As Pushrods knows, I broke my promise to myself (that I would supercharge it).

That said, haven’t really missed it since I got my GTPE. The SS was super fun to drive but the new car is just more fun.

Plus, CarMax giving me $45k for my 2015 ($9k more than I paid new) certainly helped!

Sweet ride!

OP
OP
Pushrods&Capacitors

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
@BIGBIGSURGE seems to know something.

Lmfao. ? I’m actually looking to get a GT350 in the near future when I can finally give up the Commodore/SS. Thing is, GT350s run 12.0-12.3 @ 117-120mph 1/4 miles even hampered with less than stellar launch characteristics, since they’re set up for road course work. No GTPE is ever gapping one from a roll. From a dig to 60, sure, but after 70 it’s ovah.
Sponsored