Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I was thinking the exact same thing.
AirTags everywhere:
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Mach-E Was Stolen 1635902843418
my only thought is they would be found since they start beeping once they’ve been traveling without the owners phone nearby for a certain amount of time. Gotta put it some place hard to find.

SnowBunnE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y
Country flag
my only thought is they would be found since they start beeping once they’ve been traveling without the owners phone nearby for a certain amount of time. Gotta put it some place hard to find.
Good Point. I was thinking of duct taping it somewhere inconspicuous: Maybe under the Frunk or in a location where the beeping wouldn’t be as noticeable? I need one of those AirTag holders for the keys…my wife and her keys…I hear “Babe have you seen my keys?” Once every other week, it seems. ?‍♂

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good Point. I was thinking of duct taping it somewhere inconspicuous: Maybe under the Frunk or in a location where the beeping wouldn’t be as noticeable? I need one of those AirTag holders for the keys…my wife and her keys…I hear “Babe have you seen my keys?” Once every other week, it seems. ?‍♂
Maybe where the jumper frunk cables go in that little removable door

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
air tag your car anything that costs money or you don't wanna lose. Gotta the kids tagged, the dog tagged, and the vehicle. As for the wife...................................well some things are ok to lose. ?
Air tags are cool but it’s good to know they aren’t actual GPS devices. They rely on there being sufficient coverage of iPhones around to relay the signal and that’s only if the people walking or driving by haven’t turned off FindMy network. Should work perfectly ok in a bigger city, but If it’s out in the boonies, not as accurate. But maybe the crooks will be dumb enough that it will use their iPhone lol

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I think it's worth mentioning that professional thieves probably know how to scan for the presence of bluetooth tags (especially if they know how to do replay attacks). You can too with apps on your phone. If they detect one that may or may not be a deterrent, they might just drive it to a place where they'll never be picked up.

If the thief has an iPhone, the AirTag will notify them they are being tracked after some period of time and they will be able to play a sound to find the AirTag.

But AirTags and Tiles would work great for dumb thieves.

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
I think it's worth mentioning that professional thieves probably know how to scan for the presence of bluetooth tags (especially if they know how to do replay attacks). You can too with apps on your phone. If they detect one that may or may not be a deterrent, they might just drive it to a place where they'll never be picked up.

If the thief has an iPhone, the AirTag will notify them they are being tracked after some period of time and they will be able to play a sound to find the AirTag.

But AirTags and Tiles would work great for dumb thieves.
I just did a quick search on disabling the speaker on the AirTag. It looks quite easy to pry it open and physically remove the speaker. That's what I would do if I hid one in my car.

Tarynem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium (pending)
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am SICK at the thought of walking outside and seeing a new MME gone. While I love the brighter colors on the MME, I didn't choose one because the car getting enough attention as is.

Tim H

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ionic
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I had a friend who owns a new Tesla Model Y show me the camera functions and security that Tesla builds into its cars. You can't get near a Tesla without it taking very clear, detailed video of you. The software will also highlight specific events (like when a lady opened her car door into his car) so that you don't have to watch everything and can instead skip straight to important segments. While the video my friend showed me was displayed on the screen in his car, I'm pretty sure you can also access this thru the Tesla app on your cell phone. So it would seem to me that a thief can't steal a Tesla without there being a record of the theft.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had a friend who owns a new Tesla Model Y show me the camera functions and security that Tesla builds into its cars. You can't get near a Tesla without it taking very clear, detailed video of you. The software will also highlight specific events (like when a lady opened her car door into his car) so that you don't have to watch everything and can instead skip straight to important segments. While the video my friend showed me was displayed on the screen in his car, I'm pretty sure you can also access this thru the Tesla app on your cell phone. So it would seem to me that a thief can't steal a Tesla without there being a record of the theft.
If the MY had CarPlay and a tax credit I probably would have got one of those.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
This is a cool feature, but of course the question will be: How will it help?

The police will just file it with the thousands of ring doorbell videos they get of people stealing stuff.

Unless you personally know the person who stole the car and know how and where to find them, all it will be is a video of who stole your car…… and you won’t get the car back and no one will go looking for that person.

Bank of America has some great high definition multi angle video of the woman who smashed my wife’s window and stole her purse (as well as dozens of other cars the same day.)

Because 2 days after she did, the criminal walked into the bank and successfully cashed a $3,000 check…….. on the account we reported stolen and had closed right away.

Unless there is a murder involved, no one is chasing down the criminals in videos unfortunately.
Sponsored