Someone was in my Mach-E today

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Not to hijack your thread myself, OP, but something very similar happened last night except my car alarm (sorry neighbors) went off. The honking and FordPass alert went off in the middle of the night - when I went out to look, the back door was just slightly ajar but still resting on the presenter (ie someone must have pushed the button but never fully opened it.)

The fact the alarm went off suggests that the car was locked/"armed" and I distinctly remember locking it before bed with the fob. I guess the alarm did its job, but I can't figure out how it would still allow the door to open? If this were a key fob repeater attack, I would have expected the car to fully unlock without complaint. Maybe this would be addressed by the door module updates people have been discussing in the CSP?
No clue what happened here.

But in the first week of owning mine, I had the car let me unlock/open the door without a key or phone on me, then the alarm went off.

Is it possible the motion sensors/alarm can be on when the car is unlocked?

Add it to the list of buggy things. But this is definitely a safety/security issue.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
How far does the Phone as a key or provided key work? I was in church today, and when I came out, someone had been in my car and gone through my glove box and center console and scatter everything through out the car. I use the walk away lock feature and the horn beeped when I left the car.
this is terrible!
sorry for your loss!

I don't trust the lock on walk away, and never have. I hate having it lock/unlock every time I walk thru my garage.

I lock manually upon exit, and turn off BT on my phone as I walk away. I turn BT back on as I approach, give it a few seconds to see me coming, and have had almost no glitches with PAAK for months.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Ok so the OP was at church, the second person was at home... Can either of you check cameras from the church, your house, your neighbors house to see if there's some light that can be brought upon this?

The OP had both a FOB and PaaK. The second report just mentions a FOB.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Given the location there is only one logical explanation.... demons.

Seriously, knowing someone violated your personal space is never a good feeling.

I do remember coming out of a movie complex with my wife and noting that the range on the auto unlock was more than I expected. Not sure if this was a function on the PaaK or FOB. Oddly enough, the movie was ghostbusters, but I do not think it was related to your experience.

There seems to be a lot of necessary tweaking of the technology and functions of the Mach-e. Just hoping there will be many and done frequently.

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
this is terrible!
sorry for your loss!

I don't trust the lock on walk away, and never have. I hate having it lock/unlock every time I walk thru my garage.

I lock manually upon exit, and turn off BT on my phone as I walk away. I turn BT back on as I approach, give it a few seconds to see me coming, and have had almost no glitches with PAAK for months.
I listen for the car to lock when I walk away. Turning off BT is not going to work for me as my watch connects to my phone via BT.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I’ve made a habit of using the lick button on the insider driver door before exiting the car. That way the car locks as soon as the door closes and there’s no question as to whether it really locked or not.

With that said, we have no idea whether a fob was “cloned” via the various high(er) tech devices used by some thieves or if it was just a target of opportunity.

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
EU model here, and since no one has commented on it I assume the US model differs, but mine only honks if it cannot lock, or I leave the car running.
Also it is easy for the unlock button to be accidentally pressed in a pocket - and it has very long range.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Really? I don't use Spotify, but I would think the quality would be the same over wireless CarPlay or AA since they use WiFi.
I thought so too, but it wasn’t. Maybe audio is still going over Bluetooth or something, or still using the same compression as Bluetooth despite having more available bandwidth. Either way the audio quality is noticeably worse using wireless CarPlay.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Not to hijack your thread myself, OP, but something very similar happened last night except my car alarm (sorry neighbors) went off. The honking and FordPass alert went off in the middle of the night - when I went out to look, the back door was just slightly ajar but still resting on the presenter (ie someone must have pushed the button but never fully opened it.)

The fact the alarm went off suggests that the car was locked/"armed" and I distinctly remember locking it before bed with the fob. I guess the alarm did its job, but I can't figure out how it would still allow the door to open? If this were a key fob repeater attack, I would have expected the car to fully unlock without complaint. Maybe this would be addressed by the door module updates people have been discussing in the CSP?
Yes, get the 21P22 update to hopefully fix the locking glitch in the door modules. "Increased door module robustness" is listed as part of the update.

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
Tell me more about the camera. I read some reviews on it and some say the app isn’t that great. How is it overall? Will the camera connect to the car’s hotspot to upload to cloud or for live viewing on the app? Thanks.
I have the Ford version of the Thinkware camera. DC-M1-FG. Connecting it to the cloud is not straightforward. You have to set up your phone as a hotspot, which means that the phone has to be reachable as a WiFi access point (hot spot). Basically if you leave your phones hot spot function on and when the phone is close enough it will connect to the cloud. Being in church or anywhere else with your phone means no cloud connection for easy remote access. Having the file in the cloud is a plus I would say. Seems a little much to do to get it there. So I either connect the phone using WiFI on my phone or pull the SDRAM card out and plug it in to my PC and upload to my personal cloud (iCloud, OneDrive etc). May try to connect to the home network to see if I can. I have had the camera in the car for 10 months and yet to have an incident let alone one worthy of remote access.

For security if the camera is set for parking with motion/bump detection on and you have security turned on in FordPass you get notified what was opened and when and hopefully the front or rear camera catches something.

All in all I have to say I would look around more for my next camera vs Thinkware because of the software. The camera it self works fine and the video quality if very good. Also add the GPS antenna as it adds all the pertinent data to the video. Speed, direction, location and time stamp.
Sponsored