Stolen out of my locked garage

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
No complaints so far. It's mostly family so after they acknowledge the warning it stops bugging them.

On the plus side, a friend of mine had his car stolen out of his driveway and credits (right or wrong) the AirTag for scaring the thieves off, and then being able to locate the car. He figures either the pinging or alerts on their phone caused panic when they couldn't find the AirTag, then ditched the car. He then told the cops where the car had been abandoned.
Nice, I haven't put one in the car yet but seeing how easy it is to turn off the connected services, I may do it. Now it's time to play "where in the car do I put this?"
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Nice, I haven't put one in the car yet but seeing how easy it is to turn off the connected services, I may do it. Now it's time to play "where in the car do I put this?"
Tape one to the outside of the frunk tub. Good luck thieves in getting that one out of the car in a hurry. 😈🐩

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
I got one of these for my keychain, a Belkin secure cable loop that you could loop around something in the frunk. They either need the special allen wrench to undo the screw or something like bolt cutters to cut the cable. Both seem like more work than someone would want to do if stealing a car. Probably abandon it right there. Of course they could probably hit the actual AirTag with a hammer or something like that, but again, might be more work than they want to spend time doing.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
My thoughts exactly

OP
OP

NavyTiger

First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22’ Mach-E GT
Country flag
Latest update: Ford insisted the owner is not allowed to know the location of their vehicle, only law enforcement.

Also Milwaukee Police have not started looking for it, but my assigned officer said they’ll “try” calling soon (almost 2 full days after I told them how to get the location). I guess I’ll see.

Since there are no efforts to solve it (only 5% of car thefts are solved in Milwaukee), why aren’t even more cars being stolen? Seems like free money.

jay1122

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E select AWD
Country flag
I would expect at this point, the car is either chopped down with tracking systems removed or trashed and abandoned. Should contact the insurance and file a claim for payout. If it gets recovered some how by miracle, the insurance will take it.

Last edited:

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Do make sure you tell the police and your insurance company that you took your car to the dealership to have the stolen fob removed.

reasoning being is the dealership has at the very least some liberty as they failed to remove it. The bigger issue is it could be an inside job there. There was a dealership in Houston I knew off that had an employee programming an extra fob to some cars to make it easier to steal.
Basically it causes the police to dig deeper and pull logs from the dealership on if things were done or not done.

OP
OP

NavyTiger

First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22’ Mach-E GT
Country flag
I would expect at this point, the car is either chopped down with tracking systems removed or trashed and abandoned. Should contact the insurance and file a claim for payout. If it gets recovered some how by miracle, the insurance will take it.
USAA will pay out in a couple weeks they said.

Mostly sad because the car was a deployment gift to myself and I have a 1.9% loan for it 😔

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
So, what, residential breaking and entering with robbery and car theft isn’t worth the police’s time? I guess there’s just too many murders clogging the detectives’ schedules? Seems like a crime that should get some attention to me, public safety and all.
This wasn’t a robbery. Robbery is a crime against a person. Burglary is a crime against property and what happened here.

Police agencies always focus more resources on crimes against people than property crimes. As they should!

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I'm in Texas right now and can see my mach E AirTag at home 25 minutes ago. Every iPhone is a Bluetooth peer as it goes by my house. Just updated as I was typing - 2 mins ago.
You can’t use an AirTag to track someone who has an iPhone. The AirTag would notify them they’re being tracked.

Magicinstalls

Banned
Banned
First Name
steven bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GTPE, Ford E Transit, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
tech
Country flag
I guess I will have to plant an AirTag in my car and remove the speaker now

Magicinstalls

Banned
Banned
First Name
steven bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GTPE, Ford E Transit, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
tech
Country flag
You can’t use an AirTag to track someone who has an iPhone. The AirTag would notify them they’re being tracked.
Yes, you can use an AirTag better yet two or three of them, pull the speakers out of them, and hide them so good that they will never find them! Chances are to leave the car at the side of the road in a panic

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Yes, you can use an AirTag if you remove the speaker and put it in a place they will never find it even if they know it's there you can track your car
My understanding of how AirTags work is they notify any iPhone user that they’re being tracked. Apple didn’t make AirTags to track people, and for liability reasons the AirTag will notify any iPhone that’s in proximity for a certain period of time.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Latest update: Ford insisted the owner is not allowed to know the location of their vehicle, only law enforcement.

Also Milwaukee Police have not started looking for it, but my assigned officer said they’ll “try” calling soon (almost 2 full days after I told them how to get the location). I guess I’ll see.

Since there are no efforts to solve it (only 5% of car thefts are solved in Milwaukee), why aren’t even more cars being stolen? Seems like free money.
You don't want the car back at this point. I agree its frustrating that the thieves will likely get away with it, but your car is likely trashed, one way or another. I suspect that if you were dealing with a small-town local police or county Sheriff, your experience would be more positive. Big-city cops these days appear to me to leave a lot to be desired at the organizational level. I am sure many of the individuals are fine.
Sponsored