Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E 4X, '17 Outback, '10 Jetta, '01 Beetle
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
TL;DR: I think my vehicle stopped sharing position and heading information from its GPS with my phone via via Android Auto.

TL:

A few weeks ago, I started having "searching for GPS..." issues with Android Auto using my Pixel 7 Pro. It had worked perfectly from when I got it in October 2022 until this recent development. I am in the Google Maps Beta program.

I'm fairly certain the issue was present with Waze on Android Auto as well but that testing was perfunctory.

I started a case with Google because my first instinct was that it was hardware issue with the phone's GPS. (I have not yet followed up on the case after I followed their "clear the cache, uninstall updates" troubleshooting steps.)

Expecting to have to have my phone repaired or replaced, I set up my Pixel 6 Pro and it occurred to me that I should do more testing to establish whether my first thought that it was a hardware failure with my 7 Pro.

As it turns out, the 6 Pro had similar poor performance under the same conditions. It had worked fine before I got the 7 Pro in October.

I then loaded GPS Test on both phones, my wife's 7 Pro, and a really old LG G5 with broken GPS antenna. (The G5 had a hardware design issue with its GPS antenna; when the issue reappeared on the warranty replacement, I attempted to fix it myself and made it worse.)

What I noticed:

With Android Auto disabled or disconnected, all the Pixels got poor signal when placed in the console with the wireless charging pad - whether they were charging wirelessly or not.

Signal was better if placed on the dash but they'd still occasionally lose a GPS "fix."

That old G5 actually supports Android Auto and I used to to navigate to work this morning. It kind of sort of worked as one might expect with no GPS antenna - location updated when I was in locations where I'd expect there to be Wifi signals.

I find it highly unlikely that my car suddenly started interfering with GPS reception.

My hypothesis:

The charging pad location gets poor GPS signal reception.

This was not obvious because the car normally shares location and heading information from its GPS fed by the roof-mounted antenna with the phone via Android Auto.

Something changed (for me) a couple of weeks ago and I suspect this data sharing broke.

I could be a system or app update to my Pixel 7 Pro. And my Pixel 6 Pro. But there's no way a system or app update broke anything on the ancient G5.

Next steps:

Test a non-Pixel Android phone with my car.

Test one of our Pixel phones with a different vehicle that supports Android Auto, noting the typical phone-based GPS reception with the GPS Test app.

I am also considering calling Ford. @Ford Motor Company
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
TL;DR: I think my vehicle stopped sharing position and heading information from its GPS with my phone via via Android Auto.
This is an ongoing Google defect in Android Auto specifically. Other mapping or GPS programs on your phone are continuing to get good locations... Other vehicle makes and models are showing this same issue in Android Auto as of about 10 days ago or so.

Please file a bug report here:

https://support.google.com/androida...loses-gps-signal-only-when-using-android-auto

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag

Eckless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
Thank you all! On that Google Support thread, it says we're now a "trending issue"! :)

And just to add to the troubleshooting I've done, and none of these helped:
1. Factory reset the phone
2. Factory reset the Ford
3. Clear data in Google Maps
4. Set Maps to "always have location access"
5. Set maps to have unrestricted battery access

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yeah it's a fascinating problem... My auto insurance monitoring nanny is still tracking my driving properly. Just Android Auto is messed up. And if I shake/wave the phone around while I'm driving, it'll occasionally get a location update and or start dead reckoning again (even if inaccurately).

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
On the plus side, AA Coolwalk showed up in my car today. Love it!

Eckless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
On the Google support site
https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/198448311?hl=en&msgid=201168651

there's a message from the Android Auto team saying that the issue should be fixed in Google Maps version 11.66, which should be available soon.

(Yes, the Google Maps app, not the Android Auto app. :) )

I'm in the Google Maps beta, and can verify that the 11.66 version has been working well for me the last couple of days.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I was about to throw my phone out the window until I learned this is an AA + Maps bug and now I'm using Waze.

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
On the Google support site
https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/198448311?hl=en&msgid=201168651

there's a message from the Android Auto team saying that the issue should be fixed in Google Maps version 11.66, which should be available soon.

(Yes, the Google Maps app, not the Android Auto app. :) )

I'm in the Google Maps beta, and can verify that the 11.66 version has been working well for me the last couple of days.
I can confirm! My Pixel 7 Pro started behaving like it did in the good old days yesterday. And my Pixel 6 Pro was still being wonky until after I did app updates.

At first I thought it was the February security update I applied to the P7Pro but my P6Pro is still on the December update - before and after it went from wonky to proper which coincided with app updates.

Oh, and Coolwalk showed up with both phones yesterday. Not sure how I feel about it. I like bits of it but those bits are far less important to me than some of the other ways I still find AA to be...."deficient."

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Extra, weird (or extra weird) data point:

I updated the Maps app (to 11.66.0602) on my old LG G5 (Android 8) that has a severed connection to the GPS antenna and gets absolutely no GPS reception.

And navigation when connected to Android Auto *works*. So I think it's undeniable that the phone is getting GPS data from the car's system. (When Google hasn't broken that data exchange in an update, anyway.)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I can confirm! My Pixel 7 Pro started behaving like it did in the good old days yesterday. And my Pixel 6 Pro was still being wonky until after I did app updates.

At first I thought it was the February security update I applied to the P7Pro but my P6Pro is still on the December update - before and after it went from wonky to proper which coincided with app updates.

Oh, and Coolwalk showed up with both phones yesterday. Not sure how I feel about it. I like bits of it but those bits are far less important to me than some of the other ways I still find AA to be...."deficient."
My P7P received the 11.66.0602 Maps update tonight. Google Maps on AA is finally working again in my Mach-E.

SPatil

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustand Mach EV 2020
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If the phone uses the car GPS that would explain what is happening.
It still looks like a module update for Sync to me. As a sync reset brings it back to life.
My theory is that the GPS is working. It is not communicating with the navigation module.
My Android Auto(connected to Pixel 3) started to lose GPS OFTEN 4 days ago. I was able to use the on board navigation system. But that required a pull over to set it up. This is a big problem for me.

I had decided my android phone and the Mach EV were using different GPS systems. I wasn't successful disconnecting my pixel from the car and seeing if GPS worked independently of Car. Has anyone else?

IF(?) GPS is not communicating with the navigation module, whom do we call/tell.

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
My Android Auto(connected to Pixel 3) started to lose GPS OFTEN 4 days ago. I was able to use the on board navigation system. But that required a pull over to set it up. This is a big problem for me.

I had decided my android phone and the Mach EV were using different GPS systems. I wasn't successful disconnecting my pixel from the car and seeing if GPS worked independently of Car. Has anyone else?

IF(?) GPS is not communicating with the navigation module, whom do we call/tell.
What is the version of your Google Maps app?

OP
OP

Jim622

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e
Occupation
District service manager with 50 plus years in the field
Country flag
Mine has been working well after a few updates. Both Android Auto and ford navigation are now working.
Sponsored