Navigation system / GPS problems

bdesatnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 BMW i3, 2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E AWD ER
Country flag
While on a 4 hour road trip several days ago, my Navigation system went haywire...attached are a few photos.

First, the North-South-East-West compass didn't show the car pointed in the direction we were traveling. We were traveling North and the compass indicated South, then switched to West, Northeast, etc. The attached photo shows the car going West - we were going North or Northeast the entire time.

I plugged in my destination and, during the ride, the map showed the car off the road - the Nav system kept redirecting us. I finally cancelled the route and tried using Waze through Apple Carplay - it too showed the wrong location.

While all of this was going on, speed sign recognition wasn't working properly, either. I had cruise set to 71 mph - at random, the speed limit sign would show 25mph, 35mph and the car would slow down unexpectedly. Attached photo shows our speed at 69 and the speed limit sign shows 35 - highway speed was 70.

Lastly, for the entire ride, BlueCruise did not activate - it would normally be available on this route.

When we got home, I turned the car off, waited about 30 minutes and started the car - things seemed to be back to normal. This happened once before recently but not on a long road trip.

I'm interested in seeing if anyone else on the forum has had similar experiences and thoughts on getting this rectified.

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4816.jpg

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I had a similar GPS malfunction once. I have no idea what might have caused it. Seems like I had to turn the car off to fix it. It was odd and transient.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Lost GPS has happened to me many times, in fact it happened earlier this week. When I got home I checked the satellite signals (go to navigation settings, about, then satellites) and no signals were showing. It was interesting however that after the nav got lost by a few hundred feet, it eventually seemed to dead reckon back to a proper position.

Reset sync and it will correct itself.
Sponsored