prius2pony

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium First Edition
Country flag
Makes sense, although check what kind of chargers the walgreens has - whether it is DCFC or level 2. You'll also need to get an EVSE that lets you change the current supplied (16A/24A/32A), or just plain get a 16A L2 charger.
According to plughare.com, my Walgreens has 2 [free!] Volta Chargers, J-1772. So what does that tell me? Is the Mach-e compatible? Now I see the info; they are Level 2. Also I have 3 Chadmo (level 3) chargers within 5 miles of home.
Sponsored

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
According to plughare.com, my Walgreens has 2 [free!] Volta Chargers, J-1772. So what does that tell me? Is the Mach-e compatible?
Surely it's a reason to go there instead of CVS. :)

Those free chargers will probably net you about 10-20 miles of range per hour that your car is plugged in.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Man, I've got some learnin' to do. I will [soon/later] check out those details. Thank you again!
Note too that the Mach-e comes with a portable charger already, so you don't necessarily need to buy one to use at home. Many people do just so they can leave the portable one in the car all the time.

There's differing opinions on whether it's bad to just plug in every day vs running down and only plugging in when you get low. For a low-mileage driver, and if you want to charge during the daytime, it may just be easier to plug in daily. In fact, if your mileage is quite low (like <20 miles day avg), you may not even need a 240V outlet. You could just plug into a 120v outlet already in your garage. It adds 3 miles each hour, and the included charger can do that (it'll plug into 120V or 240V). You could see how that goes for a while, then opt to have a 240V outlet in later if you find you need more. Ideally a 40A, as the included charger matches that (32A, which requires a 40A circuit).

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
According to plughare.com, my Walgreens has 2 [free!] Volta Chargers, J-1772. So what does that tell me? Is the Mach-e compatible? Now I see the info; they are Level 2. Also I have 3 Chadmo (level 3) chargers within 5 miles of home.
Next to Volta, it should say the kW rating. Probably 9.6kW or 7.6kW, which is standard L2 charging. Adds roughly 20-30 miles per hour of charging.

Yes, the J1772 plug is the one the Mach-e is compatible with (not CHAdeMO). That's for L2 chargers (AC power). For L3 chargers (DC power), it's the CCS combo plug. Usually that means finding an Electrify America charger, although occasionally others have then.

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I love the idea of having the MME charge for an hour before I leave for work so the battery is warmed up a little.
Actually using the charge times and setting a "Go Time" (If the Mach-E supports it) not only will the battery be warmed up but the cabin will too.

On the Focus Electric you would set a "Go Time" (up to two per day) that basically meant "I leave for work/home/etc. at this time make sure the car is ready". Not only does it prepare the battery (cool in the summer, warm in the winter, etc.) it also brings the cabin to a temperature you set.

I'm hoping the Mach-E also supports something similar--I don't see why they won't...

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
J-1772 is the specific type of L1/L2 plug, and that is the kind of plug every BEV except tesla uses. So, yes it is compatible with the mach-E. If you have your electrician add a 240 outlet in your garage those L2 chargers at walgreens won't really help much since the mach E comes with an L1/L2 charger already. The L3 chademo charger is not compatible with the mach E, so that won't help you.

This video goes over some of the basics; starting at around 2:50 he explains the differences and how it works:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/electric-car-charging-how-long-does-it-really-take.284/

Last edited:

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
Don't know of the Zappi is sold in the US but is a brilliant piece of tech if you have solarpanels and an EV search for fullycharged and zappi or this video

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Actually using the charge times and setting a "Go Time" (If the Mach-E supports it) not only will the battery be warmed up but the cabin will too.

On the Focus Electric you would set a "Go Time" (up to two per day) that basically meant "I leave for work/home/etc. at this time make sure the car is ready". Not only does it prepare the battery (cool in the summer, warm in the winter, etc.) it also brings the cabin to a temperature you set.

I'm hoping the Mach-E also supports something similar--I don't see why they won't...
We've already seen confirmation that the Mach E has this.
Sponsored