Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
I'd expect the electric motors to last several decades.
I was speaking of the motors in the power retracting mirrors… I expect the traction motors to last for way longer than the car. 1M miles…ish
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
So that's why I'm parked way closer to the wall in the garage now haha

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I'm going to go on the line and say this "feature" that you say you have is likely an unintentional bug if it's really the parking brake. That would also explain why it's only for some vehicles.
50/50 chance it's a bug or it just doesn't work on every vehicle lol

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

Mach-E-avelli

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Optima PEHV- F150- Fusion-Outback
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
After reading the post, checked it out on my 2022 ME. Confirmed! Good upgrade Ford. Before the update when switching to park, car would roll back a 6-8 inches prior to setting the parking brake.
Now when stopped and placed in park, you can hear the E-brake activate and the car doesn't roll.

Could this have been something to do with the Park Pawl? in the rear motor?? Nice to have it set when in park now.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
After reading the post, checked it out on my 2022 ME. Confirmed! Good upgrade Ford. Before the update when switching to park, car would roll back a 6-8 inches prior to setting the parking brake.
Now when stopped and placed in park, you can hear the E-brake activate and the car doesn't roll.

Could this have been something to do with the Park Pawl? in the rear motor?? Nice to have it set when in park now.
Same for me. The rollback in my garage after putting it in park was an annoyance and it’s gone now!

siddhantnigam

First Name
Siddhant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have noticed that my car now sets the parking brake when I put the car in park. I think this feature was there if one was on a steep hill, but it never worked on my driveway.

I know that this was not happing on my car at least as of last month because if I ever did not set the brake after I put it in park, the car would roll back and I can feel the car stop on the parking pawl. It appears that my car at least does automatically set the brake now when it is in park.

I received 23-PU0105-DC-CHG2 on June 6th and on June 7th my car updated to 4.2.6. I had not driven the car much until yesterday. When I came home and put the car in park I heard the parking brake set. The red brake light does NOT illuminate but the parking break does seem to set. I drove to a very flat section of road and put it in park and I do now hear the brake setting.

I know that this was not happing on my car at least as of last month because if I ever did not set the brake after I put it in park, the car would roll back and I can feel the car stop on the parking pawl.

I had just left this voice feedback to Ford on my card on May 12:

"even a Toyota corolla has a parking brake that automatically sets when you put the car in park."

So I think my car is now operating the parking brake automatically now (exactly as I was hoping it would operate). Has anyone else noticed this feature in operation and/or know what update changed this?
Yes i have observed the same behavior with latest update.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
So without 1PD, does it creep when you shift to Drive? Or not until you press the accelerator?
I use 2PD to go in and out of my garage and when I shift into Reverse the parking brake automatically disengages and as I lift my foot off the brake the car creeps forward without input from the accelerator. In fact I pretty much never use the accelerator to exist my garage.

All that said, it seems I do not have the update to auto-set the parking brake. But I have a habit of setting it whenever I park the car (even on flat ground), so I've only purposefully tried not setting it once since this thread came out. (Living in hilly San Francisco, setting the parking brake is a very good habit to have. In the 25 years we've lived on our 25% grade hill, we've had about 5 or 6 cars careen down the hill into houses, trees, other cars, etc. The first time was on our first Halloween when a car ran into our house.)

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I use 2PD to go in and out of my garage and when I shift into Reverse the parking brake automatically disengages and as I lift my foot off the brake the car creeps forward without input from the accelerator. In fact I pretty much never use the accelerator to exist my garage.

All that said, it seems I do not have the update to auto-set the parking brake. But I have a habit of setting it whenever I park the car (even on flat ground), so I've only purposefully tried not setting it once since this thread came out. (Living in hilly San Francisco, setting the parking brake is a very good habit to have. In the 25 years we've lived on our 25% grade hill, we've had about 5 or 6 cars careen down the hill into houses, trees, other cars, etc. The first time was on our first Halloween when a car ran into our house.)
Pictures would be awesome.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Pictures would be awesome.
Ask and you shall receive

The first time a car ran away in the 25 years we've lived here was on Halloween not long after we bought our house. A car popped out of gear and slowly made its way into the planting strip in front of our house where it nestled up against the house and didn't even crack the stucco. (The parking brake was engaged, otherwise we'd likely have needed a new front porch.) Amazingly we only needed to replace one plant!
Ford Mustang Mach-E New feature: Automatic parking brake enabled with a recent update IMG_5498

Ford Mustang Mach-E New feature: Automatic parking brake enabled with a recent update IMG_5499

This was one of the more destructive times a car ran away. The driver lost control of the car in reverse, ran over (and took out) a tree in front of the blue house, took out the railings in front of the gray house, and then took out the metal railings of the condo on the left. The concrete steps are what finally stopped the car's terror campaign. Luckily no one was hurt. (The car is being winched up by a cable to get to the waiting tow truck.)
Ford Mustang Mach-E New feature: Automatic parking brake enabled with a recent update IMG_6164

Here is the aftermath of the second time the tree in front of our house (the peach colored one) was hit hard. On this occasion the tree stopped the car. On the first occasion (no photos sadly), the car bounced off the street and ultimately came to a stop in the intersection below. Luckily the tree is still doing fine.
Ford Mustang Mach-E New feature: Automatic parking brake enabled with a recent update IMG_1425

Other notable excitement (sadly no photos):
  • A neighbor was being dropped off in the driveway of the house above her house; the driver hit the gas instead of the brake and the car took off down the sidewalk steps and ultimately came to a rest up inside a small tree (nor ours). Getting that thing towed out of there was......interesting. To add to the excitement, my brand new Volvo XC60 was parked just below said tree. Happily it was unscathed and even better, no one was hurt.
  • After loading the kids in the car and pulling onto the street a woman realized she left something in the house. She ran in only to return to the street to see her car screaming down the hill with her two terrified children inside. After hitting numerous cars, the car came to a rest a couple blocks down the hill. Luckily no one was hurt!
  • A load of lumber was being delivered a on a flat bed truck, the driver of which stupidly came up the hill. As he raised the bed of the truck to offload the wood, the bands holding the load together broke and the entire load slid down the street until it stopped at the intersection below. This happened immediately in front of our house. (My wife saw it - I was at work at the time.) Luckily no one was walking up the hill on the street at the time! No one was hurt.
All of the above happened on our block. Amazingly no one was hurt in any of the accidents, but there was a number of fairly close calls. Needless to say there's been much other similar activity throughout the city's steep streets...

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For those who have the parking brake automatically engage, does it automatically disengage as soon as you shift out of Park? Or does it stay engaged until you press the accelerator?
Yes

kkmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
Since I never put it in park, I've not felt the rocking and everyone else complains about. I come to a complete stop using 1PD, and then press the power button. No need for the extra step. Although when I take it to the car wash I do put it in park so the car wash kids don't need to turn it on again.
I had the same process. Come to complete stop with 1PD, then press power button. But I got tired of the rocking back onto the park pawl, so I started setting the parking brake first and then press power button. Kind of an annoying extra step, but I got used to it. After reading this thread, I tested it last night, and I can confirm that my car has this new behavior too. Now I come to a complete stop with 1PD and press power button.

No rocking. No shifting to park. No setting parking brake. Just press power button and walk away. I like it much better.
Sponsored