millim

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1964.5 Mustang, Audi A6, Volvo S90 T8
Country flag
I've waffled a lot on this, but ultimately don't think I'm going to pull the trigger. Part of it is that I really don't *need* a new car right now (I suspect that is true for most people here), but more importantly I'm not lusting after it. Don't get me wrong, after everything I've read and watched I think it will be a great car...but if I'm going to make this kind of purchase when it isn't really necessary I want to totally love it. TBH I guess I'm comparing how excited I am about the polarizing Cybertruck (have a very early reservation on one) vs. this - and the two aren't even close.

I assume there isn't any way for me to "transfer" my FE reservation to someone else - agreed? Would love to see an enthusiast that might want one, ideally here on the board, slot in if they could. If anyone thinks it's possible lmk.
Sponsored

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I would not mind getting an FE instead of my Premium already on order. Actually getting that done with a 7/31 cutoff date, including changing the reservation dealer, would seem to be not possible.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Back on June 24, I got this response from Ford's Global Marketing, Electrification person, Pei-Wen Hsu . . .

"Hi, How are you?

Thank you for your Mach-E Order. Here is the info you are looking for:

• Customers with reservations which convert to retail orders will take priority over non-reservation retail orders.
  • First Edition is only available to those who reserved them and will be unavailable for order even if someone cancels"
I still do plan on a follow up after 7/31 . . . I will see if begging works. If not, I will be satisfied with my premium.

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Well you could make a deal with that forum member as in you buy it then sell to member for 7500 cheaper as you will get the tax credit.

but I think you have to own car for set amount of time or it does go to next owner I think.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Oh, I’ve wondered about schemes like have the original holder transfer the order to my dealer, send them the $500, and get it back when they cancel the car after delivery if my dealer would let me trade. But it all seems like way too much trouble for something that should be so simple for Ford to do.

Tsand4

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed -rec'd 1/27/21, '14 Fusion Hybrid SE
Country flag
I would assume any cancelled FE reservations will go to the lucky dealer that was assigned and they will then have it on their showroom floor. Ultimately sold to an employee (sales manager calls first dibs!) at MSRP or Joe Public with a nice ADM.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I would assume any cancelled FE reservations will go to the lucky dealer that was assigned and they will then have it on their showroom floor. Ultimately sold to an employee (sales manager calls first dibs!) at MSRP or Joe Public with a nice ADM.
Maybe, or they just reduce the number of First Editions they will build by one more.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Transfer the order to my dealer and I'll stroll by on the day it arrives/you cancel.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Maybe, or they just reduce the number of First Editions they will build by one more.
Not likely. They already have the brake calipers and sill plates and possibly many of the seats stitches up. Have to use those parts still...

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Not likely. They already have the brake calipers and sill plates and possibly many of the seats stitches up. Have to use those parts still...
Outside the US can't even order theirs yet... Do they have parts for all markets?

I would expect it to be a mix of the original dealer gets it and they don't get scheduled for production.

At least one reason why Ford will not make it easy to transfer is because of scalpers.

(That said, if anyone wants a grabber blue FE, I haven't canceled or confirmed my order yet... Similar reasons, new car is not urgent, especially with covid and less driving, but mainly because not going to spend this much on a vehicle I can't sit in same model first first. Likely order a premium after demo units are available for a test drive).

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I don’t think they’ll make a whole car for that reason. They’re called SPARE parts. If there are extra parts just keep them for dealer repairs.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Just a completely unsubstantiated guess from a random person on a public forum, so take my opinion for what it is worth...

However, my opinions, since no announcement was made about the number of FE, they will build as many FE that were converted to orders and that is it. No backsies no swapsies.

3567 reserved but only 2129 ordered? then that is it.

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Or you could continue with the order and find someone in your area or close to it so when time comes dealer can change the name on the title as the other person is the one picking it up. Grant it you will lose your refund but I am sure the next person will be more than happy to give that back to you. But this is all just speculation I think you will need to talk to an official Ford Rep see if they will even transfer FE which I doubt.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I don’t think they’ll make a whole car for that reason. They’re called SPARE parts. If there are extra parts just keep them for dealer repairs.
Just a completely unsubstantiated guess from a random person on a public forum, so take my opinion for what it is worth...

However, my opinions, since no announcement was made about the number of FE, they will build as many FE that were converted to orders and that is it. No backsies no swapsies.

3567 reserved but only 2129 ordered? then that is it.
You both could be completely correct. I was going on the assumption that Ford would have already entered into an agreement with their vendors to build a certain amount of brake pedal assemblies, scuff plates and special brake calipers......including a pre-determined amount of spares for service replacements. In that context, it doesn't make financial sense to put the surplus parts on a shelf to collect dust when they can be on dealer showrooms and possibly create an extra $1600 in revenue (or whatever the cost difference is from an EX4 model).

However,
Now that I read the Order Guide.....it appears the first Edition is really just brushed aluminum pedal covers....not actual stamped perforated pedals like you would see in a production sports car (ie: 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO). The brake calipers are just listed as painted front and rear. I presumed they would be special calipers from Brembo or the like but maybe they are just stock units that are painted red. The seats also appear to be the exact same parts as in the Premium model but with different stitching. Sill plates and Diamond Alloy Instrument Panel Applique are easy enough to build on an as-needed basis.

So, since the FE parts aren't really any different....paint on calipers, paint on wheel lip moldings, colored stitching. some pedal covers and dash appliques then I can see how Ford could easily build to order and nothing more. I was under the impression that the FE special parts were in fact different than what would be on a normal EX4 model (ie: PoleStar 2 Sport Package etc) but that doesn't seem to be the case. Since Ford is asking for the NA FE reservation holders to convert to an actual order by week's end....then it is very plausible they will only build what is actually ordered (customers and dealers).
Sponsored