Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Thanks. A bit off topic: We drove around the Finger lakes a couple years ago and found the area to be a delight.
Not at all off topic for me, it has all the seasons (today looks like the last skiing day for my grandkids at the Skaneateles Ski Club), the Canada geese, snow geese and other migratory birds are arriving or have moved through, the rainbow trout are spawning with the melting snows filling the lake tributaries, and soon we will start seeing some buds on the trees and getting back to green again.

And once the sand/gravel is washed off the roads I can dig my KTM 790R out of its winter sleep.
Sponsored

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
`21 MME Prem 4X w/GTPE wheels,`22 Hyundai Palisade
Occupation
Solutions Architect (software)
Country flag
Just installed and will test it on my VeePeak adapter this weekend.

(... although, I bet I'm going to end up getting a better adapter as I don't want to have to worry about the open wifi while I'm driving around.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just installed and will test it on my VeePeak adapter this weekend.

(... although, I bet I'm going to end up getting a better adapter as I don't want to have to worry about the open wifi while I'm driving around.)
Don’t waste your time, you didn’t read very well.

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data 1679655848276

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Don’t waste your time, you didn’t read very well.

1679655848276.png
Ah, ok. Sorry about that. (too early in the morning and not enough coffee in my system I guess!)

I had seen the other commenter here asking about using it with the VeePeak and there wasn't a definitive "no" response that I saw. I'll order the OBDLink then as I am very interested in helping test this.

FWIW, I've only downloaded the OBDPlay app at this time - I'll hold off on the OBDRecord one until I have the new scanner in hand.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah, ok. Sorry about that. (too early in the morning and not enough coffee in my system I guess!)

I had seen the other commenter here asking about using it with the VeePeak and there wasn't a definitive "no" response that I saw. I'll order the OBDLink then as I am very interested in helping test this.

FWIW, I've only downloaded the OBDPlay app at this time - I'll hold off on the OBDRecord one until I have the new scanner in hand.
Why not wait to we see the feedback from those with an OBDLink? I hate to see anyone drop $150 if the software doesn't live up to its hype.

After all, programmers get a bad rap on this forum:

Programmers - why so many bugs?

ericNdfw

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ericsmalling.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Why not wait to we see the feedback from those with an OBDLink? I hate to see anyone drop $150 if the software doesn't live up to its hype.

Lol - Amazon just dropped it off. I have other OBD apps I use anyway have have been wanting to switch to a BlueTooth scanner anyway so not a big deal.

As a fellow programmer, I feel your pain about the blame ;)

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

I'm in the wait and see camp, as I don't know if my Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 will work or not. Full disclosure, I downloaded and installed the OBD Record app and then saw your comment about not trying it out yet with other OBD readers. So I deleted the app and will sit tight, awaiting further instruction. 😊

Thank you again Rick for all you're doing on this! Between your work on this app, Mark's, Anton's, and Erik's (@markboris, @Anton and @azerik) work on the suspension, oh and well literally everything Lee (@Mach-Lee) does for the forum, Ford should hire you all (at least as highly-paid consultants). (And to be clear, there are many other major contributors to this community that I've left out.)

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm in the wait and see camp, as I don't know if my Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 will work or not. Full disclosure, I downloaded and installed the OBD Record app and then saw your comment about not trying it out yet with other OBD readers. So I deleted the app and will sit tight, awaiting further instruction. 😊

Thank you again Rick for all you're doing on this! Between your work on this app, Mark's, Anton's, and Erik's (@markboris, @Anton and @azerik) work on the suspension, oh and well literally everything Lee (@Mach-Lee) does for the forum, Ford should hire you all (at least as highly-paid consultants). (And to be clear, there are many other major contributors to this community that I've left out.)
Sorry but the OBDLink MX+ is a requirement.

TestFlight also let’s me who has been naughty and nice:

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data 1679678442500

So three of you are doing the heavy lifting so far - thank you heavy lifters!

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Sorry but the OBDLink MX+ is a requirement.
Rick, just to confirm, are you saying that I’ll definitely need the OBDLink MX+ or just that I’d need it if I wanted to test now?

cknasaboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E California Route 1
Occupation
ISS and Orion Flight Controller
Country flag
I hoped it might work with my VGate BT LE adapter, but alas it did not. Since I realized I was taking up a testing spot, I went ahead and deleted the TestFlight Build (Stop Testing via the TestFlight App). Hope that support is added some day!

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Rick, just to confirm, are you saying that I’ll definitely need the OBDLink MX+ or just that I’d need it if I wanted to test now?
Yes, it is more secure and supports the MSCAN bus which Ford uses for the high resolution odometer.

I won’t say that other scan tool devices will ever be supported but I have no plans to do so.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hoped it might work with my VGate BT LE adapter, but alas it did not. Since I realized I was taking up a testing spot, I went ahead and deleted the TestFlight Build (Stop Testing via the TestFlight App). Hope that support is added some day!
That is a big leap of faith when I clearly stated the OBDLink MX+ is required.

Anyone without an OBDLink MX+ should just follow along for now and at some future time decide if it is worthwhile to make the $150 investment.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Yes, it is more secure and supports the MSCAN bus which Ford uses for the high resolution odometer.

I won’t say that other scan tool devices will ever be supported but I have no plans to do so.
Yeah, mine also supports MS-CAN and has a BT pairing button like the OBDLink MX+ so it should be reasonably secure. But I'll hold off on this until things have progressed further and then maybe give it a try when you're ready to branch out some. (Or pop for the OBDLink MX+ if I decide this is a "must have".)

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, mine also supports MS-CAN and has a BT pairing button like the OBDLink MX+ so it should be reasonably secure. But I'll hold off on this until things have progressed further and then maybe give it a try when you're ready to branch out some. (Or pop for the OBDLink MX+ if I decide this is a "must have".)
I just looked at the Vgate vLinker MC+spec sheet and it appears to have most if not all of what I need. It is Bluetooth and not Bluetooth LE, supports the MSCAN bus, and their web says it supports the STN commands:

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Play: an iPhone app for viewing Mach-E trips and charging data 1679693384127

I might have to contact them to see if it could be used.
Sponsored