Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
You don't need to delete anything but in the release notes it reminds you to change the active vehicle to your MME (using your VIN) and the active data source to your InfluxDB instance. If OBD Play is connected to your data source and is showing no trips then make sure your vehicle is being used to pull the data.

Also, if OBD Record cycled through the Trip Starting, Trip, Trip Ending state sequence the trip was probably recorded. You can log into your Influx DB account and use the Data Explorer to see if anything is there:

1679669638684.png
Yeah it did record. Thanks.

One thing people might appreciate is some kind of indication in the record app that a trip was saved and uploaded successfully? I donā€™t want to kill the app too soon if the data hasnā€™t uploaded yet.

Record app also still shows connected after I go inside 1000ā€™ away from the car. iOS shows the OBDLink is disconnected in Bluetooth settings as well. Maybe you could change state to disconnected if you donā€™t get a response from the adapter after a half dozen attempts?

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Yeah it did record. Thanks.

One thing people might appreciate is some kind of indication in the record app that a trip was saved and uploaded successfully? I donā€™t want to kill the app too soon if the data hasnā€™t uploaded yet.
Congratulations, you need to be more trusting. Are you seeing it in OBD Play now?

You may have noticed the display is always on, I keep my phone next to gear selector so I can check it occasionally that it hasn't crashed. But if you end up in the Ignition On state after placing the vehicle in Park your trip should be recorded.

Record app also still shows connected after I go inside 1000ā€™ away from the car. iOS shows the OBDLink is disconnected in Bluetooth settings as well. Maybe you could change state to disconnected if you donā€™t get a response from the adapter after a half dozen attempts?
I knew of this quirk (it shows it is connected and that there are no comms errors) but wanted to get out, I fixed it earlier today.

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Record: an iPhone app for logging Mach-E trips and charges 1679672031997

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Congratulations, you need to be more trusting. Are you seeing it in OBD Play now?

You may have noticed the display is always on, I keep my phone next to gear selector so I can check it occasionally that it hasn't crashed. But if you end up in the Ignition On state after placing the vehicle in Park your trip should be recorded.

I knew of this quirk (it shows it is connected and that there are no comms errors) but wanted to get out, I fixed it earlier today.

Ford Mustang Mach-E OBD Record: an iPhone app for logging Mach-E trips and charges 1679672031997
Yes, I got everything working after deleting the sample data sources. Until then, I had no indication anything had actually recorded to the cloud, hence my confusion. Didnā€™t have time to figure out where to look in influx, thatā€™s totally new to me and Iā€™ll figure it out later. Just trying it out quick this morning.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A newer build of OBD Record is now available in TestFLight, see the original post for details and the link to get a copy:

OBD Record 0.50.5 is now available

Those of you who already have a copy you should get a notification of the update. If one of you can confirm this I'll know that TestFlight is working properly.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
A newer build of OBD Record is now available in TestFLight, see the original post for details and the link to get a copy:

OBD Record 0.50.5 is now available

Those of you who already have a copy you should get a notification of the update. If one of you can confirm this I'll know that TestFlight is working properly.
I got the notification, but I'll hold off downloading it until I get a thumbs up from you that it's ok to try it with my Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 reader...

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ā€˜21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
3-27-23
Opened TestFlight, showed update for OBD Recordā€¦ā€¦ Bill P

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got the notification, but I'll hold off downloading it until I get a thumbs up from you that it's ok to try it with my Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 reader...
Thanks for confirming this, as the account holder I get special access so I don't know what you see on your end.

The Vgate people haven't responded so doubtful it millwork as the Bluetooth protocol is looking for a protocol string that for now is unique to the OBDLink devices.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for confirming this, as the account holder I get special access so I don't know what you see on your end.

The Vgate people haven't responded so doubtful it millwork as the Bluetooth protocol is looking for a protocol string that for now is unique to the OBDLink devices.
Ah, thanks for checking. Do you mind if I check, or would you prefer that I not? It's entirely up to you.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Updating cleared out data sources in OBD-Record, as a result my trips weren't recorded today. Kinda a pain to have to re-enter everything after every program update.

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah, thanks for checking. Do you mind if I check, or would you prefer that I not? It's entirely up to you.
You can try, I just canā€™t spend a a lot of bandwidth on it. Maybe the next build I can add Some debugging code to look for it.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
You can try, I just canā€™t spend a a lot of bandwidth on it. Maybe the next build I can add Some debugging code to look for it.
Sounds good. Iā€™ll let you know if it works or not, but if it doesnā€™t, Iā€™ll not expect you to take any action!

OP
OP
Jiji

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Updating cleared out data sources in OBD-Record, as a result my trips weren't recorded today. Kinda a pain to have to re-enter everything after every program update.
Sorry about that. I would ask if you saved a backup of the settings but in this case it doesnā€™t help as new settings were added. Just the price you pay to be on the bleeding edge. Didnā€™t you see red in the status bar that your data store wasnā€™t set up and connected?

And I feel the pain since I have two vehicles and three devices to stay updated. I keep the settings in the Note app so I can paste them if needed.

Also I donā€™t wish to do support in this forum so in the future please post in the GitHub discussions where they can be shared and addressed.

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
ok i successfully recorded a trip and viewed it in obd play. but there were a lot of problems and i was never able to convince obd record to record another trip. should i be dumping all my observations here, or on GitHub, or in TestFlight?

edit: ok - i put a few issues into the OBD Record GitHub, but one of the issues is common to OBD Record and OBD Play.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Sorry about that. I would ask if you saved a backup of the settings but in this case it doesnā€™t help as new settings were added. Just the price you pay to be on the bleeding edge. Didnā€™t you see red in the status bar that your data store wasnā€™t set up and connected?

And I feel the pain since I have two vehicles and three devices to stay updated. I keep the settings in the Note app so I can paste them if needed.

Also I donā€™t wish to do support in this forum so in the future please post in the GitHub discussions where they can be shared and addressed.
Thanks, I guess I saw the red logo at the top when I opened it, but thought that was the connection status (wasn't in the car yet). Once I got in the car I didn't really pay attention to it while I was driving. I guess I'll make a note for pasting settings.

Just a suggestion, but it might be good UI design to have some kind of popup notification or larger warning message plastered across the top of live data if there is some error preventing successful data recording when you start a trip and it's still not working. I know you have the small red logos at the top which I'll pay more attention to, but I think most users would appreciate something more obvious that can be seen at a glance while driving.

Maybe run a test on the data source each time the app opens, and remind the user to set one up with a popup if the test fails.

I'll switch to Git for more feedback.

ok i successfully recorded a trip and viewed it in obd play. but there were a lot of problems and i was never able to convince obd record to record another trip. should i be dumping all my observations here, or on GitHub, or in TestFlight?
Trips are based on shifting in and out of park. That part works fine for me. Go in and test your data sources in both apps to make sure they're still working.

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
Trips are based on shifting in and out of park. That part works fine for me. Go in and test your data sources in both apps to make sure they're still working.
it does not work consistently. i was waiting for my kid at the dentist and did 3-4 "trips" around the parking lot and only one time did it move to the "trip" state. when leaving the parking lot at the end it was stuck in the Connected state.

the data sources are fine, both apps are correctly connected.

also many times it was stuck in "ignition off" for whatever reason when the ignition was clearly not off. that might have something to do with it.
Sponsored