zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Actually I'm with @jhalkias on this one. The manual explanation makes things absolutely not clear. The manual pictures makes things not clear in the slightest and the actual picture of the stalk shed zero light on it.

I think I'll be putting the MME out on the driveway during one of our afternoon deluges to figure this out.
Secret decoder ring: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ea-mach-e-tour-11-21-november.1985/post-58036

Except ignore all the stuff about the back wiper.
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Secret decoder ring: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ea-mach-e-tour-11-21-november.1985/post-58036

Except ignore all the stuff about the back wiper.
I think I have finally realized the error of my ways on this. I thought that "rain sensing wipers" would be wipers that magically come on once you apply the setting if it is raining while driving. Instead, rain sensing wipers are wipers that you have to turn on once it is raining, and they vary the intermittent timing to compensate for the amount of rain based on the sensitivity setting?

As such, they don't seem as useful to me, because once you put the stalk in that first position up, the wipers come up out of their "hiding place" rain or shine, and are in the ready position. To me, that kind of defeats the thought of "automatic wipers" that I had.

A real first world problem if ever there was one.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I have finally realized the error of my ways on this. I thought that "rain sensing wipers" would be wipers that magically come on once you apply the setting if it is raining while driving.
I can't speak for your vehicle. But this is exactly how the C-Max works. You do have to have the sensitivity quite high though.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I can't speak for your vehicle. But this is exactly how the C-Max works. You do have to have the sensitivity quite high though.
I have no doubt they will start working once it is raining. I just tried it on my lunch in the Fusion Energi. However, once you put the stalk up in that first position, they come up just a bit to that "ready position".

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I think I have finally realized the error of my ways on this. I thought that "rain sensing wipers" would be wipers that magically come on once you apply the setting if it is raining while driving. Instead, rain sensing wipers are wipers that you have to turn on once it is raining, and they vary the intermittent timing to compensate for the amount of rain based on the sensitivity setting?

As such, they don't seem as useful to me, because once you put the stalk in that first position up, the wipers come up out of their "hiding place" rain or shine, and are in the ready position. To me, that kind of defeats the thought of "automatic wipers" that I had.

The one difference to your post I would add is that once you set it to Auto, they will come on magically when the rain detected meets or exceeds the threshold of sensitivity. Physically they will be in their hiding place until then. Once they do come on when they detect rain the variability is as you explain.

At least in my CRV and CX5 there is no off location for the stalk. Its continuously On low or high speeds and then auto. So the off position is auto. Because it does not rain all the time where I live, I even forget I have this feature - I am trying to use the wipers manually when it does occasionally rain.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have no doubt they will start working once it is raining. I just tried it on my lunch in the Fusion Energi. However, once you put the stalk up in that first position, they come up just a bit to that "ready position".
The C-Max has "reverse" wipers. I don't know what they are called but look like this:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Observations from Mach-E Helms Owners Documents 1605547475117

Maybe that's why they don't pop-up?

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The C-Max has "reverse" wipers. I don't know what they are called but look like this:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Observations from Mach-E Helms Owners Documents 1605547475117

Maybe that's why they don't pop-up?
I think that is how the wipers look on my Escape. My daughter is driving it home from Virginia today, and I am going to have to see if it reacts the same way as the Energi. TBH, until I started reading here and getting into the details on the Mach E, I never even knew I had them on the Escape. But I saw the setting on the stalk before she left on Friday with it - just no chance to try it out.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

This is an official retraction. I was too hasty and did not give this time. When I first put the stalk in the first position, it made the wipers swipe once, and then left them in that slightly up position.

On the way home, I did it again.

Guess what? After about 30 seconds they went down to the off position, patiently waiting for rain.

Please tell me where to pick up my carry out order of crow.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
True. Most engineers seem to speak English as though it was a second language, even those born in the US to families that have been here for generations.
There's a very old saying in computer science: "make it possible for engineers to program in english, and you'll find that engineers can't speak english"

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
There's a very old saying in computer science: "make it possible for engineers to program in english, and you'll find that engineers can't speak english"
There is also a very old saying (you can tell when you read it) in computer science:
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon going down the highway loaded with magnetic tapes
Or something like that.

I know it isn't relevant to the discussion at hand...I'm just trolling. Move along.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I'm not sure why you'd go through all of that to open the lift gate, when you can just open it by moving your foot underneath it. Strange.
Can you wave your foot if you don't have the phone or fob in near proximity to the lift gate?

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Guess what? After about 30 seconds they went down to the off position, patiently waiting for rain.
Your broaching this subject of your wipers patiently waiting for rain bears some warning for ne visitors to the rain sensing camp.

One may still want to only turn to the rain sensing mode when it is actually raining for two reasons I can think of.

If set to activate magically when moisture appears, entering a carwash can become problematic should the wipers activate when 'brushes' are swatting at the windshield, potentially entangling or otherwise damaging the blades.

A second case, when returning to the car after snow/ice has accumulated, there may be enough moisture to activate the wipers as soon as the accessories are enabled. The wiper motors might be stressed attempting to break the blades free or when moving the blades through accumulated snow or ice. At least in winter I leave the setting to off, lest I forget.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Your broaching this subject of your wipers patiently waiting for rain bears some warning for ne visitors to the rain sensing camp.

One may still want to only turn to the rain sensing mode when it is actually raining for two reasons I can think of.

If set to activate magically when moisture appears, entering a carwash can become problematic should the wipers activate when 'brushes' are swatting at the windshield, potentially entangling or otherwise damaging the blades.

A second thought, when returning to the car after snow/ice has accumulated, there may be enough moisture to activate the wipers as soon as the accessories are enabled. The wiper motors might be stressed attempting to break the blades free or when moving the blades through accumulated snow or ice. At least in winter I leave the setting to off, lest I forget.
You send your car through a brush carwash? ?

just kidding. In that particular situation, I just turn them off when I see that happen, which is when the initial pre-wash chemical or whatever happens. Long before brushes.

As for the second, that hasn't been an issue in seven years of having the feature in my Fusion Energi so I'm sort of assuming it's at least as smart in the Mach-E.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
just kidding. In that particular situation, I just turn them off when I see that happen, which is when the initial pre-wash chemical or whatever happens. Long before brushes.
Remember we are dealing with the masses here. Not everyone is quick to react or even recognizes the potential problem.
You send your car through a brush carwash? ?

As for the second, that hasn't been an issue in seven years of having the feature in my Fusion Energi so I'm sort of assuming it's at least as smart in the Mach-E.
Not for years. Not because of the threat to my wipers, my antenna, nor my undercarriage. I'm just plain cheap.

Haven't had any issue with our energi either, I assume the wiper motors release when confronted with an obstruction, but I get nervous.

Cheap and nervous...the best kind of lover.