Machinator

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach -e sekect
Country flag
Do most of the knowledgeable members use this? Does it have safety data suggesting it is as safe as regular braking? It is a little scary to me as sometimes it is hard not to brake more quickly than I meant to. Is it worth it?
Sponsored

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do most of the knowledgeable members use this? Does it have safety data suggesting it is as safe as regular braking? It is a little scary to me as sometimes it is hard not to brake more quickly than I meant to. Is it worth it?
I do not think this is a knowledge thing but more of a driving preference. Many prefer it. Some change in snow conditions. I prefer 2 PD as I switch between EV and ICE so want driving to be the same. Plus I did not like the deceleration feeling. Consider; however, that 2 PD is also regenerative braking (unless you brake hard) but not mapped out in the same manner as 1 PD.

OP
OP

Machinator

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thatā€™s what I wonder, is it better milage than careful 2 pedal braking?

OP
OP

Machinator

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is good to know, thank you. I think Iā€™ll stick with two pedal myself.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
It doesnā€™t affect efficiency. Like General already said, itā€™s a preference thing. I love it. Makes like simple in my mind. Especially in stop and go traffic.
But that doesnā€™t mean you will never use the brake pedal. In emergency situations you will need to. But just throttle 90% of the time.

Last edited:

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I love it. Not holding my foot on the brake when stop/go traffic. Also, I like to see if I can make the car come to a stop where I want it by letting off at *just* the right time. I'm pretty good at it now after 1.5 years. Most the time I stop right where intended and don't even think about it.
Swapping to my ICE vehicle makes no difference, easy to change between the two.

Marcho

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previous, Maserati Granturismo. MV Brutale RR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I always use it. You just have to get used to the distance it will use to stop. Look ahead......
But if you do then brake while 1p is braking you will find it may jerk as you apply both at same time.

RKinWA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE AWD Space White Metallic
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
When I first got the MME I hated it and didn't understand the appeal, until my first 5 mile stop and go traffic situation, when I turned it on to see if it helped, it did, and more and more I kept using it. Now I never turn it off.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Just use it and it will become second nature. Youā€™ll be able to come to a stop exactly where you want and youā€™ll know when you need to switch to the brake for extra stopping power (people have been doing this with manual transmissions since the car was invented). It takes a few miles to get used to it and maybe a couple days to be proficient.
switching between ice cars will be a non issue for most people. Your brain just knows the difference and muscle memory takes over.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This is a personal preference only. I really like it after I got used to it and adjusted my approach on the pedal. I use it full time even in snow with no issues. Just remember to ease off the accelerator when things are slippery same as easing on the brakes when things are slippery.
Family of 5 drivers across MME, Lightning, and old standard 6speed Volvo - Everyone uses OPD on the EVs and no concern swapping back and forth with the ICE.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I tried it for a while and found that for the most part I didnā€™t like it over Unbridled/2PD. Strictly my preference and sometimes my driving style. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

Travlcub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Corporate Travel Consultant
Country flag
Huge learning curve for me but now I absolutely love it. But before you go all into it Iā€™d ask you try in your neighbourhood šŸ˜‚

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I've been driving in 1-P now for 6 years (the Bolt prior to the Mach-E also had a 1-P mode) so I'm quite used to it and have had no issues switching back and forth between vehicles.

I do cringe a little driving an ICE around thinking about all that wasted energy when braking...

OP
OP

Machinator

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I stay on ā€œwhisperā€ with a hope that itā€™s easier on the tires and mileage. The first month I showed off to my friends how it could accelerate, but Iā€™m over that now. Maybe I will give the one pedal a try again in low traffic situations.
Sponsored