Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sure, but just because you use the brake pedal doesn’t mean you’re using the friction brakes. And just because you use 1PD does’t mean you’re not using the friction brakes. That’s the whole point of blended braking. You can have the same amount of regeneration with either method.
Not using the brake pedal takes the driver out of the equation for regen. Lifting your foot all the time when you do not need to is also a point. I have not used the brake pedal (can count on one hand in 3.5 months) so I am not sure how you tell the difference when it regens and when it uses the calipers. I know when you apply the brake pedal firmly they grab like fiction when you need them too. May try coasting through our hills next time to see if 120 at the bottom and 100 km/hr at the top adds range worth the hassle of not just setting it to 110. This would be good info for the winter time when range matters but right now my range is adequate on adaptive cruise. Wish the consumption numbers were a bit more accurate and refreshed more often. With this vehicles highway range so far I may end up saving the pads for a couple of KW ;). 1PD is for sure more intuitive and relaxing for me.
Don't forget that the car's motors are in a regenerative state when off throttle and not on the brakes. In Unbridled mode, the regenerative system is pretty aggressive, almost like having the parking brake on.
The first month was engaged, the second was unbridled and the third was whisper. The fourth is still in whisper. If I could I would take the wheel and throttle response of whisper and the regen of unbridled. Whisper is a relaxing familiar wheel response to me and smooth acceleration with some left in the hole is more than adequate. Leaving first from a red light still amazes me how you can scoot out of congestion. Image when we are all that quick or quicker.
Sponsored

bairdc3

First Name
Baird
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium EXT, Chevy Silverado, Chevy Equinox
Occupation
Chief Technology Officer
Country flag
1PD on when in the City, one peddle off on when on the highway works for me. 1PD off during Highway driving allows me to coast more effectively to pace with traffic. I having my MME in Engaged mode all the time.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
1PD on when in the City, one peddle off on when on the highway works for me. 1PD off during Highway driving allows me to coast more effectively to pace with traffic. I having my MME in Engaged mode all the time.
I’m on Co-Pilot auto cruise control on the highway. The stop and go mode is a life saver.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
is the one pedal driving mode more efficient in giving better mileage per KWh? What does the car behind the Mach E observe? Do the brake lights illuminate when decelerating? Do you drive more cautiously in one pedal mode. I tried it today while driving in town. Felt clumsy at first but kinda got use to it. The decelerating part is most difficult to control as I am use to coasting some distance before applying braking. However, it appeared the trip indicator suggested better mileage with one pedal.
Don't own one yet myself but on a test drive I tried it out and found it could be useful in some situations. I will form a better opinion once I take delivery.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m on Co-Pilot auto cruise control on the highway. The stop and go mode is a life saver.
Not sure a life saver but I use adaptive cruise all the time now. More relaxing and a nice feature to have. Adjustable follow distance and everything works well. The wife has no need saying slow down anymore you just tell her it is not me it is the computer. ;)

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I thought I was going to hate 1PD but I really like it. I thought it would cause more stress on the leg/foot to keep it on the go pedal constantly, but you can position your foot in a very comfortable position when you don't have to go back and forth from the brake and go pedal.

When 2PD I put my heel in between the pedals so I can rotate my foot between them. But with 1PD I position my foot on the far right, directly in front of the pedal, and slightly back so it is more of my toes on the pedal than my foot. That relieves the stress from the 2PD position, and is actually more comfortable.

The only drawback is if you have to brake faster than 1PD will slow you down. But as long as you time things properly, that rarely happens and 1PD is very smooth. With Whisper mode it is easiest to drive smoothly. I prefer Unbridled. It is more sensitive to changes in the go pedal, but I like that. And it is more abrupt when you turn off cruise control, but you can prepare for that also.

I am a 1PD fan now.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I thought I was going to hate 1PD but I really like it. I thought it would cause more stress on the leg/foot to keep it on the go pedal constantly, but you can position your foot in a very comfortable position when you don't have to go back and forth from the brake and go pedal.

When 2PD I put my heel in between the pedals so I can rotate my foot between them. But with 1PD I position my foot on the far right, directly in front of the pedal, and slightly back so it is more of my toes on the pedal than my foot. That relieves the stress from the 2PD position, and is actually more comfortable.

The only drawback is if you have to brake faster than 1PD will slow you down. But as long as you time things properly, that rarely happens and 1PD is very smooth. With Whisper mode it is easiest to drive smoothly. I prefer Unbridled. It is more sensitive to changes in the go pedal, but I like that. And it is more abrupt when you turn off cruise control, but you can prepare for that also.

I am a 1PD fan now.
I tell everyone it’s just golf cart mode haha

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

I am a 1PD fan now.
When I first got my car I had it in 1PD/engaged for several weeks and didn't like it because I often had to use the brakes as 1PD wouldn't slow quickly enough. So, I went back to 2 pedal for several months but did find my efficiency was not as good. I tried 1PD again but in unbridled and it is much better - it slows down faster and more naturally. It took me a bit to learn how to feather the go pedal for various situations and I do occasionally have to hit the brake pedal, but now I really like it too.

A couple of weeks ago I drove the wife's Durango (after not driving it for months) to put air in her tires, and man did it feel like a drunk rhinoceros to drive.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When I first got my car I had it in 1PD/engaged for several weeks and didn't like it because I often had to use the brakes as 1PD wouldn't slow quickly enough. So, I went back to 2 pedal for several months but did find my efficiency was not as good. I tried 1PD again but in unbridled and it is much better - it slows down faster and more naturally. It took me a bit to learn how to feather the go pedal for various situations and I do occasionally have to hit the brake pedal, but now I really like it too.

A couple of weeks ago I drove the wife's Durango (after not driving it for months) to put air in her tires, and man did it feel like a drunk rhinoceros to drive.
Lol I backed my wife’s Ioniq hybrid out of the driveway last week and almost gunned into the neighbors yard, not used to non-1PD anymore!

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

Same for me. OPD but unbridled for better braking when I come all the way off the pedal. Short of needing to stop “right away” then slowly coming off the pedal mimics coasting to a stop.

What everyone talking about coasting seems to be neglecting is that you don’t have to be all the way on on or all the way off the pedal. You can feather it off and slow down gently without braking. In which case, to bring it back to OP’s question, the brake lights will not come on. Even all the way off the pedal at 75MPH the brake lights may not come on until the car slows a little and the negative G’s build enough to make the car indicate it is now braking.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I tried 1PD again but in unbridled and it is much better - it slows down faster and more naturally. It took me a bit to learn how to feather the go pedal for various situations and I do occasionally have to hit the brake pedal, but now I really like it too.
I agree - Unbridled is best for 1PD. The other modes will require more use of the brake pedal, which makes it harder to maintain a comfortable foot position in front of the go pedal. Ideally, you never use the brake pedal and never need to move your foot out of the comfortable position you have established.

It took me a while to figure out a comfortable position for 1PD, so I am still learning how to put my foot back there. Muscle memory keeps putting my foot in the 2PD position, which is not the most comfortable.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
My default setting is Wisper 2-pedal - I prefer it for backing up from the garage or a parking spot, and it will be more natural for my wife if she needs to drive it. But after I'm out of the garage, I switch (using presets button on the door) to Unbridled 1-pedal and use it all the time.

Yesterday I didn't back up from a parking spot but went forward, and forgot to switch the mode, and thought that something got broken in the car - instead of slowing down when I release the pedal, it basically accelerated, so I had to use the breaks, and started moving again when the brakes were released. Very uncomfortable feeling :D

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Ideally, you never use the brake pedal and never need to move your foot out of the comfortable position you have established.
I drove a stick shift for a long time and would typically feather the clutch or even downshift to slow down so 1PD reminds me of that. But, I haven't fully gotten used to feathering with just my right foot (and obviously I can't downshift) so occasionally I misjudge it. I am getting better at it though.

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
Lol I backed my wife’s Ioniq hybrid out of the driveway last week and almost gunned into the neighbors yard, not used to non-1PD anymore!
Recently had to move someone's Prius and had to remember how to start it and back it out of the parking spot. Same when briefly driving a manual transmission the other week. Luckily it was a quick test and I never left the local road and 3rd gear.
Sponsored