LNFitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Saddle Fitter…and yes, have worked with Mustangs
Country flag
When I drove demo end of April, brakes and regen were pretty grabby and I thought 'price of new model' that I could acclimate to. Car delivered in Oct 2021 was completely different. Brakes and regen yield a very comfortable ride.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
When I drove demo end of April, brakes and regen were pretty grabby and I thought 'price of new model' that I could acclimate to. Car delivered in Oct 2021 was completely different. Brakes and regen yield a very comfortable ride.
Yeah I noticed that after the latest update on mine, seems like I go farther without coming to hard stop on 1PD than it used to. Wondering if something got updated. My guess is they changed the blending between regen and friction.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
Yeah I noticed that after the latest update on mine, seems like I go farther without coming to hard stop on 1PD than it used to. Wondering if something got updated. My guess is they changed the blending between regen and friction.
This is where detailed release notes would make a world of difference. The driving dynamics of the MME are so variable it makes my head spin.

FWIW, I was a confirmed 1P driver with my previous EV. With MME, I prefer Whisper 2P with Low for decel.. Maximizes free coast, minimizes foot use, and engaging Low gives a very smooth slow down when you plan ahead.

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Don't forget that the car's motors are in a regenerative state when off throttle and not on the brakes. In Unbridled mode, the regenerative system is pretty aggressive, almost like having the parking brake on.
How can you tell when the brakes are regenerating electricity? Is there a light or something?

Clint Eastwood

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jaguar F-Pace
Country flag
can anyone compare the 1 pedal driving in the mache to the tesla? I am used to the tesla and i would never drive any way other than 1 pedal if its anything like the tesla.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
can anyone compare the 1 pedal driving in the mache to the tesla? I am used to the tesla and i would never drive any way other than 1 pedal if its anything like the tesla.
Feels the same but I think the MME blends braking way better

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
How can you tell when the brakes are regenerating electricity? Is there a light or something?
The power bar on the left of the display shows green. It’s blue when you are using power, green when you are using the motor(s) to generate power. ??

Superfly-Vic

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I have mine on 1p mode and unbridled at all times. It breaks pretty aggressive if you just let off completely the gas. But you learn real quick to drive by manipulating the gas pedal. The lighter you let off it the longer it takes to slow down the more you let off it the quicker it breaks. It makes the driving pretty fun and it can also make it super smooth even on unbridled

Deleted member 9368

So, I brought my awd base in to my local Ford dealership because I was getting crap mileage which you've heard from me in the forums here for some time. The dude I dealt with was quite detailed but claims that one pedal is inefficient for a regen and it's recommended to not use it to maximize mileage. I would like to hear separation of myth from fact here. What is the most effective way to extend range. Forget about comfort and the other facts. Just want to know whether one pedal regens properly or not versus standard breaks.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
So, I brought my awd base in to my local Ford dealership because I was getting crap mileage which you've heard from me in the forums here for some time. The dude I dealt with was quite detailed but claims that one pedal is inefficient for a regen and it's recommended to not use it to maximize mileage. I would like to hear separation of myth from fact here. What is the most effective way to extend range. Forget about comfort and the other facts. Just want to know whether one pedal regens properly or not versus standard breaks.
You can get similar regen by using Whisper and your brake pedal. I think 1PD is more efficient because it is easier to get 100% braking efficiency (no use of the brake pads). But that does not mean you cannot do the same thing using the brake pedal. It just means if you press the pedal too hard, the pads will engage and you will loose some efficiency you could have gained using regen.

I think the advice the guy gave you was wrong. However, changing speed is less efficient than coasting and maintaining a constant speed. It is mitigated by regen braking, but it is the most efficient way to drive.

Also driving slowly is more efficient than driving fast. If you want the best range, drive the speed limit. I don't do that because I hate driving slowly, but if you want the best range, don't exceed the speed limit.

Spooky

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
The dude I dealt with was quite detailed but claims that one pedal is inefficient for a regen and it's recommended to not use it to maximize mileage.
Some people can come across as quite knowledgeable and sound like they have all the facts even when they are dead wrong. I know you know this as that is why you are asking here, but it would have been interesting to ask the guy his source on this claim.

I have no idea which is more efficient (1P vs 2P) but I do know I liked turning on the setting to show your regen effect on the lower left of the driver's display to somewhat monitor how efficient regen is.

Perhaps combine this with the Journey setting in the FordPass app to see what it says about braking...I know it tattles on my hard cornering at times. ;)

I'd hypothesis that driving cautiously, not accelerating fast, and drive at or below the speed limit would all have a greater impact on range than 1P vs 2P. No data to back that claim up other than pretty sure google searching would show a ton of research on the efficiency of lower speed = better mileage as those articles seem to pop up often (for ICE and EV both).

Kistra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-> buyback and Mach E Select
Country flag
I agree - Unbridled is best for 1PD. The other modes will require more use of the brake pedal, which makes it harder to maintain a comfortable foot position in front of the go pedal. Ideally, you never use the brake pedal and never need to move your foot out of the comfortable position you have established.

It took me a while to figure out a comfortable position for 1PD, so I am still learning how to put my foot back there. Muscle memory keeps putting my foot in the 2PD position, which is not the most comfortable.
The other modes don't necessarily require more use of the brake pedal. If you want to use the other modes you just have to get used to starting to slow down a little earlier. Coming from driving a Bolt for several years the 1PD on that car was between the whisper and engage in the MME. It took a week or so initially to learn when to start showing down to stop without using the brake pedal but since then it is second nature. I love driving in engage 1PD. Never turn it off, on the highways just use the cruise control so not using any pedals much anyways!

OP
OP
Blackbluff

Blackbluff

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The attached article describes the way regeneration occurs. Based on the authors details I would suggest both methods of braking are equally effective as long as you don't have to use the brake pedal with more pressure than is required to break an egg between your foot and the pedal. (PDF) Maximum Power Recovery of Regenerative Braking in Electric Vehicles Based on Switched Reluctance Drive (researchgate.net)
Agree. However, it might be somewhat dependant on the manufacturer as well. Some strategies are conservative while some are more aggressive.

If I were to venture a guess.....the Ford system is on the conservative side so one would be hard pressed to yield any difference in efficiency between 1 or 2 pedal driving.

The Polestar 2 might be different. When preparing for a test drive, the Polestar rep actually said that 1PD might be less efficient than 2PD depending on driving habits. It also said something to that effect in the screen where the selection was for that feature.

1PD in the Mach-E felt and operated very different from the P2 so perhaps there is some efficiency differences in the Polestar?

If I remember correctly....the VW ID.4 doesn't even offer 1PD due to their concern about efficiency. Don't really remember for certain.....it has been a while since I looked at that model and studied the specs.
Sponsored