Ordering online and selecting dealer

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
Is this normal? I've never bought a new car before, so I don't know what to expect.
Is it normal... for auto purchases? Not really, although you can find stories where even Tesla has pulled some weird things with pricing on ordered vehicles that haven't been delivered yet. Is it normal for Ford dealerships? Given my experience and the experiences of others on this forum, it sure seems to be pretty common! Still not "normal" though.

The question really becomes, is this legal? I get it, Ford isn't advertising the price you'll pay and their coordination with their dealers seemingly leaves a lot to be desired. But what happened to you (and in a worse way, to me) is really false advertising, bait and switch... it's fraudulent. We're putting down a deposit based on information available to us, money is being exchanged, and then the terms are being changed on us after the fact. I get that the actual purchase has not been completed, but I strongly suspect that many dealers are doing things a court would disagree with.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
please let me know what are y’all’s thought before we head to the dealer this weekend.
Thank you.
Also, the 28 week estimate in the website for the premium trim? How realistic are those
The 28 week estimate is probably as accurate an estimate as you are going to get. So much can impact the real delivery date including new COVID lockdowns. Plan on that date, however.

If you search on Autotrader you can find a new one without the wait. I did that, although mine was an order that I still had to wait for. But it is an option you should consider. It might require you going out of state or out of your local area to pick it up.

I ordered my 2022 Mach E Premium over the weekend and informed my dealership (who I spoke to beforehand) about it, and they said that to save money, I should place my order online to avoid the $5,000 dealership fee.

However, they asked me to come in today to sign some paperwork to confirm the order, and the sales rep told me that there would be a $3,000 additional charge for the Mach E since it's so in demand.
No, don't do it. There are plenty of ethical dealers that do not add ADM. Order your MME from one of those.

I don't think anyone has clarified the process yet, so here goes:

When you place the order on line, it an order request, not an order. Ford does not sell cars directly to the consumer. Ford sells cars to dealers, and we buy our cars from dealers. We are the dealer's customer, and dealers are Ford's customers. So while I have heard of people ordering cars without going into a dealer, all orders are from dealers. So when you place your order request on the Ford web site, Ford sends that to the closest dealer.

The order request is sent to the dealer, and then you finalize the order with the dealer. Then the dealer places an order with Ford. Ford does not automatically accept the order, because they have a limited number of cars available. They decide which orders to accept. Eventually they will accept the dealer's order for your car, and you will be notified that your order is in process. Then it goes into the production scheduling process. But until Ford accepts the dealer's order, nothing is happening.

So @Ani_PonyUp , it is no different from ordering a Bronco. The difference is you start the process on-line. I guess you can order a Bronco the same way, but I have not confirmed that. The deposit you make on-line with Ford is transferred to the dealer. I am not sure how you switch dealers if that one is screwing you over, but since they now have your deposit, I guess you have to contact Ford and complain. Ford does not like dealers who add ADM. And maybe you can get the ADM removed by just threatening to contact Ford.

Personally, I would go the Autotrader route and find a car that way rather than placing an order. Unless you must have a 2022. In that case, find a dealer who is willing to order it without ADM. Also find a dealer that is big and moves a lot of cars. They will be more likely to have priority when Ford is allocating cars.

Ford allocates cars to dealers they like over those they like less. I originally ordered a Premium from my small, local dealer. It took four months before Ford gave my dealer MME allocation and accepted my order. Meanwhile I moved on to Autotrader and found another car.

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
I am not sure how you switch dealers if that one is screwing you over, but since they now have your deposit, I guess you have to contact Ford and complain. Ford does not like dealers who add ADM. And maybe you can get the ADM removed by just threatening to contact Ford.
I spoke with Ford representatives twice today. Ford is doing really impressive there - no wait on the phone, and both representatives were really genuine-sounding and sympathetic to the situation of a crappy dealer. But basically, they told me they can't do anything. If you want to change dealers, they said you still need to coordinate that with your dealer.

OP may be screwed because the dealer had them sign an agreement to the ADM. Still worth trying to back out but not sure what's going to happen to the deposit; dealer may have grounds to try and keep that, although they shouldn't.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I spoke with Ford representatives twice today. Ford is doing really impressive there - no wait on the phone, and both representatives were really genuine-sounding and sympathetic to the situation of a crappy dealer. But basically, they told me they can't do anything. If you want to change dealers, they said you still need to coordinate that with your dealer.

OP may be screwed because the dealer had them sign an agreement to the ADM. Still worth trying to back out but not sure what's going to happen to the deposit; dealer may have grounds to try and keep that, although they shouldn't.
I would walk away from the deal. He might lose the deposit, but paying the ADM is not worth it.

My local dealer was awesome. Even though they could have refused to refund my deposit after I found a car at another dealership, they refunded it anyway. No complaints. They just gave me my money back. My Premium will come in to that dealership and they will sell it to someone else, so really they are in fine shape.

Walk away from the deal and find another dealer. Then fight for the deposit refund.

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
There has to be at least one honest dealer in the LA area!
I placed an order recently with Vista Ford in Woodland Hills and was extremely happy with them. The internet sales manager Danny was very helpful, responsive, and honest. I was able to order the exact car I wanted at MSRP with no additional mark ups, fees, or unwanted add-ons such as Lojack or Paint Protection. They gave me a copy of my order form that shows the exact price that I agreed to pay. He even told me the exact dealer fees they charge, so there would be no surprises. When I asked other dealerships what the dealer fees were, they either gave me a very vague answer or failed to respond to my question all together.

I highly recommend Vista Ford in Woodland Hills if you are looking for a Ford dealership in the LA area that can order your new MME.

Dancefreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Star White Premium extended battery eAWD
Country flag
I'm actually curious about this as well!

I ordered my 2022 Mach E Premium over the weekend and informed my dealership (who I spoke to beforehand) about it, and they said that to save money, I should place my order online to avoid the $5,000 dealership fee.

However, they asked me to come in today to sign some paperwork to confirm the order, and the sales rep told me that there would be a $3,000 additional charge for the Mach E since it's so in demand. This feels like a complete bait and switch since it wasn't listed on the website when I was creating the order, and he physically wrote it on the piece of paper that he had me sign.
I talked to him for a while about it, and he said that basically it's just a charge they add on to the Broncos and the Mach E's because if I don't want it when it's time to pick it up and try to negotiate, they can just sell it for even higher to a different customer.

Is this normal? I've never bought a new car before, so I don't know what to expect.
I live in Los Angeles for reference.

Thanks!!
I haven’t received the car yet as my build week is 1/31, but south bay ford confirmed they’d accept x-plan and the order sheet I signed when transferred to a 2022 had nothing added. I’ll reconfirm no bs dealer added crap when it’s shipped. Don’t anticipate an issue, but if there is…easily remedied before the car arrives with the paper trail.

OP
OP

Ani_PonyUp

First Name
Ani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Occupation
Federal Employee
Country flag
Thanks for the all the input guys. Today we were able to go in to the dealer and order. Mach E AWD Premium long range rapid red.
Super excited!!!
If anyone has an image of any ford crossover suv in Rapid Red that has been applied the Xpel Stealth film please share.
Thank you.

?

49A13C72-A0B5-4737-A495-EAE5F81572E0.jpeg

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
Galpin (Who I'm using) is great.
Southbay Ford, Caruso in LB & Sunrise Hollywood is also supposedly honest/good.

I would stay away from Airport Marina & Santa Monica.
I'm not sure I agree with Sunrise, but Galpin has been great. Neil Stone at Galpin does their VIP sales and took me on even though I'm not a VIP person. Couldn't be happier. I've said before it's like having a Brother in Law that runs a dealership.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag

KZ6e1e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P4X
Country flag
I'm not sure I agree with Sunrise, but Galpin has been great. Neil Stone at Galpin does their VIP sales and took me on even though I'm not a VIP person. Couldn't be happier. I've said before it's like having a Brother in Law that runs a dealership.
Yup my guy at Galpin was Neil as well. Great guy, no pressure no handoffs to financing or cashier. Everything was between us and him.
He was great.
if anyone has a order with Galpin I suggest you speak with Neil and your pickup experience will be hassle-free.

I put down sunrise, as when I placed my order they were I think second in terms of volume/allocation for MME. The person I spoke with was straight forward and to the point. Didn't seem like they played games on orders.

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
Yup my guy at Galpin was Neil as well. Great guy, no pressure no handoffs to financing or cashier. Everything was between us and him.
He was great.
Just a quick update. I picked up a Maverick from Neil the other day (great small pickup btw - often getting over 55mpg around town).

Neil is taking good care of me, the process was simple and straightforward. Beyond that, I brought my 18-year-old son in with me because on this model Neil informed me there was a $750 credit if one of the purchasers was a college student. By purchasing the vehicle together tI saved money and we wanted to improve his credit rating.

Neil immediately realized this was a new process for my son and deftly, but efficiently walked us through the project as a "what to do and what to watch out for when buying a car-101" class for my son. He explained each document, talked about what to be concerned about in each one, and had him feeling really comfortable with the experience.

Beyond that, the truck needs a little touch-up due to minor shipping damage, and Neil was all over that too making sure everything was getting taken care of to my satisfaction. To me, that's pretty indicative of my experience at Galpin. Things are going wrong all over the place - Covid, chip shortages, bad tracking and bad messaging from Ford, crazy pricing issues - but rather than look for short term opportunities to make a buck, I'm getting treated with respect by someone who wants my business for years to come. Couldn't be happier with my truck, Galpin, or Neil Stone.

Anyone having a bad dealer experience, or looking to put in an order for something else - that's who you call.

kevhuynh

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ES350
Country flag
He was great.
if anyone has a order with Galpin I suggest you speak with Neil and your pickup experience will be hassle-free.

I put down sunrise, as when I placed my order they were I think second in terms of volume/allocation for MME. The person I spoke with was straight forward and to the point. Didn't seem like they played games on orders.
Was this for ordered or inventory in stock purchase? Thanks!

KZ6e1e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P4X
Country flag
Was this for ordered or inventory in stock purchase? Thanks!
Ordered.

In stock is a complete different ballgame. Not sure if any dealership are doing Xplan or MSRP on in stock Premium and GT. When I was looking everywhere had markups.

kevhuynh

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ES350
Country flag
Ordered.

In stock is a complete different ballgame. Not sure if any dealership are doing Xplan or MSRP on in stock Premium and GT. When I was looking everywhere had markups.
Thank you. I should have ordered earlier since if I do so now, the tax credit might not be around anymore. Ford is closing in on 200K. I might have to pivot.
Sponsored