Polar

First Name
SBJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select RWD SR
Country flag
Thank you for these answers! After reading so many negative comments about the ”falling on the face” after a few secs of acceleration, I was getting quite alarmed on whether I should cancel my GTPE or not. I would hate to pay such a premium price on the car just to be constantly dissapointted in it. Now I feel much more confident it will be a good daily driver.
I vote cancel …. But out of curiosity where is your dealer? Asking for a friend.
Sponsored

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
One of the videos I watched suggested leaving the propulsion sound on because it helps give you a sense of speed that can otherwise be lacking leading to going into corners hot. I thought it was a ridiculous suggestion.
Now I leave it on.
I have had her since July and never used the Propulsion sound (except day one for fun). However, I turned it on last week and realized I enjoyed the auditory grumble of the engine. Of course I think I'm driving faster with it on LOL....

jgillmer

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black MME GT w Panoramic Roof & BlueAssist
Occupation
Nonprofit Executive
Country flag
I drove one a couple days ago and I was cruising along at 30 on a deserted straightaway and thought I would just hit it to see what was up. By the time the pedal was completely depressed I had just enough time to think, “Dear, sweet Jeebus…” before I had to brake because I was well north of 70.
That's precisely my experience.

jgillmer

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black MME GT w Panoramic Roof & BlueAssist
Occupation
Nonprofit Executive
Country flag
I vote cancel …. But out of curiosity where is your dealer? Asking for a friend.
Ya know that dealer would slap a 5 to 10k mark up before the guy got to the second syllable of cancel. And sell it in 24-48 hours.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I drove one a couple days ago and I was cruising along at 30 on a deserted straightaway and thought I would just hit it to see what was up. By the time the pedal was completely depressed I had just enough time to think, “Dear, sweet Jeebus…” before I had to brake because I was well north of 70.
When I was taught to drive the philosophy on passing is you are putting everyone in a dangerous situation when you cross the mid-line, so punch it and minimize the time you are out there. I punch it and by the time I'm coming back over I'm north of 80mph. ?

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I goosed the throttle from 20mph just a bit to a get a giggle out of the kid in the backseat. The acceleration was almost violent. The giggle pedal works just fine.
My youngest calls this "the zoomies," as in, "DAD! DO THE ZOOMIES!"

rhizomatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT-PE Shadow Black
Country flag
I own an AWD 4X but have been looking to upgrade to the GTPE for a number of reasons, but primarily for the MagneRide and 20 inch wheels. Needless to say, without having driven a GTPE, I was a little concerned reading all the hubbub concerning the "5 second rule". I was not prepared to pay an extra $25K if there was not a noticeable difference in real world performance from the 4X.

So this Saturday I did the ultimate non-scientific test. I had found a GTPE at a dealer 30 miles from my house. I promptly got in my 4X at 90% charge and did a series of tests on the way to the dealership, all sorts of accelerations, from dead stop, from rolling stop, from low speeds, high speeds, coming out of corners, etc. The 4X is fast and has always performed great in these scenarios, significantly better than most cars. But I could always feel the gradual increase in speed if that makes sense - the increase happens quickly but not quick enough that I couldn't map out each increment in my mind.

Anyway I arrive at the dealership and promptly hop into the GTPE for a test drive. Charge was at 100% with only 24 miles on the car. I proceed to perform all the tests I had done in my 4X on the drive there. Most notably after cruising along the highway at 70, putting in a little dig would quickly get me to 85 without the power meter coming close to grey lining. I did this multiple times without a problem. But most importantly the punch felt instantaneous, like I couldn't sense the car going from 70-75-80-85; it just happened. The difference between the 4X and the GTPE accelerating out of corners was even more pronounced. I didn't exhaust the car with a bunch of 0-60's or 30-80's before the highway test but I did perform multiple accelerations on the highway without noticing any degradation in performance.

Driving home from the dealer in my 4X I performed the same tests. The 4X no longer felt fast; it was if all the ramp ups were super gradual, as if I was accelerating in slow motion relative to the GTPE. For full disclosure my battery charge was down to 70% and the tire pressure was most likely lower than the tire pressure on the just delivered GTPE. But the difference in real world performance was not minimal; it was substantial.

Conclusion: I called the dealer the next day and traded in my 4X for the GTPE.

OP
OP
Mach1E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I own an AWD 4X but have been looking to upgrade to the GTPE for a number of reasons, but primarily for the MagneRide and 20 inch wheels. Needless to say, without having driven a GTPE, I was a little concerned reading all the hubbub concerning the "5 second rule". I was not prepared to pay an extra $25K if there was not a noticeable difference in real world performance from the 4X.

So this Saturday I did the ultimate non-scientific test. I had found a GTPE at a dealer 30 miles from my house. I promptly got in my 4X at 90% charge and did a series of tests on the way to the dealership, all sorts of accelerations, from dead stop, from rolling stop, from low speeds, high speeds, coming out of corners, etc. The 4X is fast and has always performed great in these scenarios, significantly better than most cars. But I could always feel the gradual increase in speed if that makes sense - the increase happens quickly but not quick enough that I couldn't map out each increment in my mind.

Anyway I arrive at the dealership and promptly hop into the GTPE for a test drive. Charge was at 100% with only 24 miles on the car. I proceed to perform all the tests I had done in my 4X on the drive there. Most notably after cruising along the highway at 70, putting in a little dig would quickly get me to 85 without the power meter coming close to grey lining. I did this multiple times without a problem. But most importantly the punch felt instantaneous, like I couldn't sense the car going from 70-75-80-85; it just happened. The difference between the 4X and the GTPE accelerating out of corners was even more pronounced. I didn't exhaust the car with a bunch of 0-60's or 30-80's before the highway test but I did perform multiple accelerations on the highway without noticing any degradation in performance.

Driving home from the dealer in my 4X I performed the same tests. The 4X no longer felt fast; it was if all the ramp ups were super gradual, as if I was accelerating in slow motion relative to the GTPE. For full disclosure my battery charge was down to 70% and the tire pressure was most likely lower than the tire pressure on the just delivered GTPE. But the difference in real world performance was not minimal; it was substantial.

Now make sure to do the same tests with a Honda Accord 2.0t.

ahg

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E 4x 2014 Accord V6
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You are up to 90 mph so quick and that is not full throttle or pushing it at all. It is like zoom zoom don't blink you are passed. For me while passing (multi) it has always had the passing presence. Not worried in the least and have come to trust it on the road as it works.

Can happen no matter how fast you pass and needs to be watched. Less time you are beside them the less probability of that happening. Probability increases when you are trying to pass more than one without seeing if you need to wait your turn. Under those conditions you may want to watch out a bit more. We have shoulders here but who wants to drive on them. I do agree that you can scare them a bit no probs as that quick is not that common yet. Just look at your rear view after you are the first off a red light. Silent and effortless it is pretty cool.
With my VW Rabbit diesel I used to look back after being first at a red light. Most people never use even a fraction of the acceleration available to them.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
With my VW Rabbit diesel I used to look back after being first at a red light. Most people never use even a fraction of the acceleration available to them.
Guess we are not like most people. If I can scoot out of congestion I will. The instant torque of an EV is hard to compare. Must notice a bit of a difference 0 to 60? Say bye Rabbit. ;)

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

Yeah pretty much a similar story for me, but with one more step involved. I'd had a 2021 Route 1 for 8 months before getting my 10k service in October. I love the Route 1, favorite car I've ever owned, and more passing power than any car I've had. Just as peppy as my 3 and 5 series BMWs from a stop.

Anyway, at the dealer during my service they had an AWD Premium demo so I thought, "what the heck?" Big mistake as the power was significantly greater. To the point that, like you, my current Mach E felt slower when I drove home. I ordered a 2022 AWD Route 1 that day.

Then, I decided to be an idiot and check what my Route 1 was worth online... and got a $51k offer, which was more than I paid in March with X-Plan. Add taxes, subtract the $2k CA rebate and the future $7500 tax credit... Carry the 2... And all the sudden I didn't want to wait until May or June for my 2022 Route 1 AWD ?

Here's the extra step in my descent into madness:

The nearest dealer to me had a demo GT, which is definitely pushing the price range I'd normally consider, but figured I'd try it out for fun after getting a taste of the extra power in a Premium AWD. Once again, big mistake. The power was crazy - and that was with the sales rep getting in the car with me for some reason, significantly tempering my acceleration tests lol.

Well, if there's one thing I'm good at, it's convincing myself I can make things work financially if I want them lol. Conversations with the wife were basically,
"We're making money on my current 2021 Route 1!"
And
"The rate on the 2021 GT Options is 1.3% lower than the 2022 Route 1 AWD I ordered!"
And
"Oh, don't worry, I'm sure the GT will keep it's value better than any other version of the Mach E for we long as the used car market is crazy, so if need be I'll just trade it in. I promise I'll keep an eye on the market."

So Sunday I took a $90 dollar Lyft 60 miles from SF to SJ to get a GT. And was able to put it through it's paced without a sales rep in the car with me. It's insane how fast it is... And as I've told some people, the car feels like it's trembling with anticipation when you're not punching it. Like a kid on the way to Disneyland, ready to explode.
Sponsored