Phone as a key for second user?

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
sure this has been asked but what happens when 2 phones are setup and they both enter the car does it ask you which one is the driver?
Previously there was a discussion. Some one says Mach E decides based on who approached from the driver door.
Sponsored

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Previously there was a discussion. Some one says Mach E decides based on who approached from the driver door.
They say this but I haven't been able to see this by observation. To me, it seems like whoever got to the car first.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Tested the approaching with 2 PaaKs a few times and it worked, but not consistently. If we went out of range then back towards the MME it seemed to recognize the correct driver. If we just get out of the MME while still in range, locked it, and then switched drivers to open it then it didn't seem to get that part right. Will have to test it more when the wife is willing to play ?

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
So one thing I noticed is that I think the PaaK was getting confused between the phones if the FordPass user was the same, even if the phones were assigned different profiles in the car. I had a problem where even my wife's backup start code was overridden by my own and it almost left her stranded.

I've created a FordPass account for her and set up her PaaK again, so we'll see if it works better this time.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So one thing I noticed is that I think the PaaK was getting confused between the phones if the FordPass user was the same, even if the phones were assigned different profiles in the car. I had a problem where even my wife's backup start code was overridden by my own and it almost left her stranded.

I've created a FordPass account for her and set up her PaaK again, so we'll see if it works better this time.
Yep the 2 account approach is what I have with the wife. PaaK has been working better this week with both of us testing more, but I did notice some wonkiness where I was driving and she was in the back seat. When I left the car it locked it when I walked away and didn't recognize the she was still in it with the PaaK. Not sure if that was an isolated instance so will need to test that again.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
When dealing with PAAK, keep in mind that it is always going to be problematic because Bluetooth was never designed for the purposes to which it is being put. Having more than one device just makes it more complex and problematic. Anything you can do to keep the setup simpler will help.

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
When dealing with PAAK, keep in mind that it is always going to be problematic because Bluetooth was never designed for the purposes to which it is being put. Having more than one device just makes it more complex and problematic. Anything you can do to keep the setup simpler will help.
Like giving us two keys and using PaaK as a backup? ?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Two keyfobs. Not an ideal solution for many. But that's what I'll do. Considering I'm driving a 2006 Tacoma atm, there's little likelihood I'll miss something I've never had. Again, not the most ideal solution though.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I will wait and see when I get mine, but PAAK is really not too great on the loaner Mach E my dealer gave me this week. Total hit an miss if it works or not. And that is pretty disappointing, and leaves you feeling pretty insecure if you don't want to carry the fob. I haven't programmed a door and start code into this loaner, but I will in mine.

This morning I went out to the car without the fob to put some stuff in before leaving. Had my phone. Car would not unlock. loaded Fordpass. Still no go - UNTIL I pressed the unlock button on the FordPass screen.

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
One thing I've noticed is that it's getting more reliable, despite both my wife and I driving the car at separate times. So I used to build iOS apps and one thing that an app developer can't control is when the OS allows the app to execute tasks in the background. In essence, you have to train the OS to give the app more priority. As I drive more daily, I think that's why it's getting better, but has anyone else seen the same

jcharnet

First Name
Joao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
So, what happens when more than one PAAK approaches the car? Is it randomly picking a phone?
And if it picks the “wrong” phone, how do you switch? Just toggle the profile?

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
So, what happens when more than one PAAK approaches the car? Is it randomly picking a phone?
So I thought it was whichever phone the car detected first, but I haven't tried getting into the car with my wife since last weekend, so I'll try again tomorrow to see. People here on the forums have said that the car has multiple bluetooth sensors, so it should know which one approaches the door.

That said, I usually open the door for my wife and then get into the driver's side, so that might be a problem...

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One thing I've noticed is that it's getting more reliable, despite both my wife and I driving the car at separate times. So I used to build iOS apps and one thing that an app developer can't control is when the OS allows the app to execute tasks in the background. In essence, you have to train the OS to give the app more priority. As I drive more daily, I think that's why it's getting better, but has anyone else seen the same
Yep, I noticed an improvement this week as well, but then there's still the occasional door button smashing as it doesn't seem to recognize either my wife or my PaaK.

I think it does seem to notice proximity to driver side. For instance, today my wife unlocked the car by getting to it first and going to the passenger side, and then I went from the passenger back side to the driver seat and started the car... Even with all that it recognized my profile as the driver which was great. Not sure how much of that is my wife's PaaK maybe just not being as responsive though... there was definitely a separate time last weekend where I got out of the car to run an errand leaving her and the kiddo in it. It locked her in even though she has her PaaK on her...

Worst case, you can manually select the profile at any point within the MME screen.

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
One thing that seemed to have helped stability is that I now have a separate FordPass account for me and my wife. Having us on the same account seemed to have caused all sort of confusion with backup start codes being overridden and PaaKs not responding.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag