Possibly Facing Eviction; Advice Needed

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
How do you put that on an outlet?
You don't, it uses a current transformer (CT) (think ammeter) that goes on the romex in the CB panel. The CT connects to a module that logs power usage and uplinks to the cloud via WIFI. Property management would be able to monitor up to 16 circuits per module. Perfect solution from that perspective.
Sponsored

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You don't, it uses a current transformer (CT) (think ammeter) that goes on the romex in the CB panel. The CT connects to a module that logs power usage and uplinks to the cloud via WIFI. Property management would be able to monitor up to 16 circuits per module. Perfect solution from that perspective.
Monitor but not sell power. So the issue will remain how much is he using. He should not pay for more or less than he consumes. I would push, if possible, to have the landlord install 240v circuits and bump the rent a bit. They will need to add them some time in the future.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I know what it is, but I doubt the management company is going to take these steps to track energy usage. Easier to say "no".

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
How do you put that on an outlet?
If the outlet is on a shared circuit, you are correct and it cannot be monitored independently.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Possibly Facing Eviction; Advice Needed 1669845283837

Unless you use one of these, which might overheat since the max continuous load is 10 Amps:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Possibly Facing Eviction; Advice Needed 1669845360638

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I think the main problem the OP is going to have is the lack of trust between the parties. If I was the landlord, would I trust this person to put a device in place where they tell me the usage, or can hit reset, or unplug it? Based on what I've read, no.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
He should get an ebike/scooter if it is only 10 mi
Most of America isn't built for bike commuting unfortunately or I'd agree. We've got a Radpower Rad Runner plus that we use to take my daughter to school cause the car line is a mess, great e-bike and tons of fun

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
Something unrelated. Just curious. OP only uses 10 miles a day. Hmm, I always see EV being beneficial when large miles are done due to the gas saving and maintenance saving. Otherwise, it is not really worth the extra price tag over ICE equivalent. I do 24K miles annually, so the gas and maintenance savings are pretty significant. Also the tax credit and tax free helps. If I am doing such little mileage annually. May as well go get a V8 or other specialty car. Like the new Bronco, very nice looking, but the 17-18MPG feels like a crime.
Some people get EVs to stop burning oil to get around. It's not always about the cost savings.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
He should get an ebike/scooter if it is only 10 mi
LOL, people in the midwest don't scooter in the winter. Remember unlike SF it gets cold here. Like freeze-your-eyes-shut cold. 🥶☃ A scooter is just self-induced wind chill.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some people get EVs to stop burning oil to get around. It's not always about the cost savings.
I have a hard time rationalizing any MME buyer who says they bought one for the cost savings. Even the bottom end models are not cheap. My GT was over $60k. Mine was definitely not purchased to save money. If you want to cut costs, buy a used Toyota Corolla.

Personally I purchased my MME because it is faster, quieter and more fun than anything else at this price point. And I hate car maintenance. It isn't about the cost of maintenance, it's the hassle.

That is why I spent twice as much to buy a battery powered lawn mower. I hated having to change the oil every Spring, change the spark plug and generally deal with motor issues. All that is gone now. Yes it takes three batteries to cut what one gallon of gas would cut before, but it is easier.

My MME hit 20k miles and all I have needed to do is rotate the tires. And I did it myself. The hassle factor is huge to me. Cost? No accountant would think a MME is cheaper to own and maintain vs a Toyota Corolla.

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
I have a hard time rationalizing any MME buyer who says they bought one for the cost savings. Even the bottom end models are not cheap. My GT was over $60k. Mine was definitely not purchased to save money. If you want to cut costs, buy a used Toyota Corolla.

Personally I purchased my MME because it is faster, quieter and more fun than anything else at this price point. And I hate car maintenance. It isn't about the cost of maintenance, it's the hassle.

That is why I spent twice as much to buy a battery powered lawn mower. I hated having to change the oil every Spring, change the spark plug and generally deal with motor issues. All that is gone now. Yes it takes three batteries to cut what one gallon of gas would cut before, but it is easier.

My MME hit 20k miles and all I have needed to do is rotate the tires. And I did it myself. The hassle factor is huge to me. Cost? No accountant would think a MME is cheaper to own and maintain vs a Toyota Corolla.
Definitely agree that it's hard to make a case for purchasing any vehicle in this price range simply for outright saving money. Even for those who need more space and/or ride height than a Corolla, there are plenty of suitable new and used options with lower TCO: Escape, Rav 4, CRV, Rogue, Tiguan just to name a few.

It's when you start considering "comparable" products where the value of the EV can start to emerge. A $50-$55k MME (after tax incentive) versus a comparable Acura RDX will cost around $1500 less in running costs per 10k miles assuming 17 mpg--yes they are pretty thirsty--@ $3.50 per gallon of high octane versus 3.5 mpk @ $.13 per kwh.

Yes, there are more efficient luxury compact SUVs, but there are also plenty of folks getting better than 3.5 with their MME.

Combine this with lower maintenance costs, and if you tilt your head just right, it can start to look like there is a cost advantage.

The comparison does become a bit complicated with 2023 price increases and murky tax incentive waters, but there are other comparable EVs in the MME's 2022 price range.

Back on topic though, I agree that the cost of going to battle over the charging arrangement does not appear to be worth it. Hopefully there is a peaceful solution that is acceptable to all parties.

Rob S

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, 2022 MME GT Star White
Country flag
To the OP - someone earlier had suggested offering to pay for 500kw per month (approx $60, depending on your utility rate). This seems to me to be the most logical solution. That way nobody has to install monitoring equipment.

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
I read your initial complaint and skimmed through the responses. Honestly, I think you are acting like a jerk. I don't care about all the other things you don't like about your complex, that has no relevance here. I don't need to get into the legalize of your contract but all the people in that complex pay for the charging of your EV. That is not morally right. The right thing to do is work with management. The Kilowatt device works great, I use it. Whether they agree to that is another matter. I am so tired of this new "me" mentality in society. Calling your lawyer over something so trivial? Get over it. Deal with it and move on. There are bigger things in life. Rant over!

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag

Buy MME for tax credit. 7500

Buy MME for fuel savings. 3500

Sell MME for 60k after a year. 0

Getting paid 11k to drive an EV for a year.

Doing this with my GT (although I'll have it more like 2 years)

Also doing it with my wife's MME.

Did it with my prior EV6. Bought it for 58k, sold for 59k, get the 7500 tax credit. Drove it for like 5 months and got paid to do so.

Sales tax is the only catch but I traded in well priced vehicles with a difference of only about 20k so 2k sales tax per car basically.
Sponsored

Last edited: