Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Hilo is the second largest city in the state. It is the wettest city in the country and averages 221 overcast (and rainy) days per year. About 45 miles to downtown from our house, give or take. That's what happens when you put a city on the Windward coast and at the base of a nearly 14,000 ft mountain. ;)
Got it. Hilo is crossed OFF the bucket list (not that I mind rain, but I can get that in the summertime in central Florida while standing in line at Disney World šŸ˜€ No need to fly umpteen hours for rain).
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I recommend they go the opposite direction: annual update for everyone who wants it. Well-designed, well-tested, and rock-solid. Once a year.

How much wailing and gnashing of teeth could be avoided?
You'd have a lot more "wailing and gnashing of teeth" with an annual update. I think we could compromise on well-tested quarterly updates.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
I recommend they go the opposite direction: annual update for everyone who wants it. Well-designed, well-tested, and rock-solid. Once a year.

How much wailing and gnashing of teeth could be avoided?
Gross

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
EA 2021 Mach-E Job 1

I got a notification Monday that the car got the 3.6.2 update. I got another notification yesterday that the car updated to 4.1.1. Nothing so far today.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
EA 2021 Mach-E Job 1

I got a notification Monday that the car got the 3.6.2 update. I got another notification yesterday that the car updated to 4.1.1. Nothing so far today.
Interesting, might be the first Iā€™ve read that got 3.6.2 and the GWM update after! I got 3.6.2 day it came out and have nothing else. Fingers crossed tomorrow itā€™ll be out more!

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
02 Camry, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
Mine is still 3.6.1.1 and it set to auto update also scheduled update every night, but so far only updated once a while back.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Has it? Forked code would explain different version numbers and out of sequence. I have worked for multiple software companies over the last 20 years, all had a similar naming on releases, all had forked code and were supporting customers across versions and all were trying to get to a universal new single release that covered all.

Iā€™m sure the numbers have some internal meaning, but where each update is not cumulative there will never be a ā€œsingle releaseā€.
I don't think Ford is dealing with lots of code forks needing to come together.

As I understand it the power ups each include 1 or more module updates.

It is entirely possible to receive 4.1.1 prior to or after 3.6.1. Order does not matter since 4.1.1 only includes an update to the GWM module.

As others have said the power up version numbers are really just reference numbers. A way to tag what modules and the associated module software version were bundled together in a single update. Module software versions are not in power up format though.

For power ups, sometimes there are dependencies and order matters. For example 4.1.1 has to come before 4.1.2 as the GWM module has to be updated before it is appropriate to update the APIM module.

There is no single release number that describes what software your car is running. To know what software your car is running you have to look at what version of software each individual module is running.
RE: all of the above, the thing about Ford's "versioning" being weird and out of sync is precisely because it's not a unified release. 4.1.1 may be a release for just the GWM. 9.2.7 may just be the module in the driver side door. It's not a unified monolithic build/release for the car as a whole

I think they actually might be well served to handle releases in that way--treat the car as a whole, not just a collection of modules. It would certainly reduce the complexity in terms of the number of permutations of software combinations out on the road

This current 4.x series of updates will not include a Frunk release for job 1 cars.
This trope is getting really, really freaking old. No one cares

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I think they actually might be well served to handle releases in that way--treat the car as a whole, not just a collection of modules.
Iā€™m sure they would love each release to be cumulative, but unfortunately they are stuck in this old way of doing things. It would take a ground up redo of the way they do electronics in a car to change that. If they were going to do that then this car would have been the time to do it.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Iā€™m sure they would love each release to be cumulative, but unfortunately they are stuck in this old way of doing things. It would take a ground up redo of the way they do electronics in a car to change that. If they were going to do that then this car would have been the time to do it.
I don't think it would require any changes to the car. All they have to do is for each release of the entire car's software, list the versions of each individual module. Some releases, the version of some modules wouldn't change. It basically would be setting a hard rule on the sequence of the releases instead of letting them flow out somewhat randomly

Another option would be to stop numbering them the way they do. If they want to patch individual modules on their own lifecycle, then that is fine, but refer to the releases in some other way. Don't give them a number that can get out of sync. As someone else in the thread mentioned, give them a name of some kind that isn't sequential and then no one can complain that they're "out of order"

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
My assumption is someone convinced everyone else in the room that 99% of the time people really only care about what they see.

The infotainment is what the driver sees and the most important from the majority of driver perspective.

As long as the other module are bug free for the majority of people they are inconsequential and we can continue to use the same software update process we have used for years.

You can see that play out here.

The power ups that include an update to the infotainment get much more attention than the power ups that have an invisible change.

I believe the majority of people just care if they have the latest infotainment power up.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This trope is getting really, really freaking old. No one cares
Wrong. The earliest adopters, those who threw their money on the table, sight unseen, do care. Itā€™s a trivial feature to implement, itā€™s been promised by ford several times, and they havenā€™t delivered, instead focusing in stupid, insipid games (and spare me (ā€œthe games are developed by a separate teamā€. We know the frunk code is in the last stages for Job 1s because people have downloaded it from FDRS themselves.)

randomvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
Do I need to have the previous update applied to get the next one? I ask because my car is still stuck on 3.5.2 and I haven't see any new updates :(

Do I take the car to the service center to get updates applied?

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Wrong. The earliest adopters, those who threw their money on the table, sight unseen, do care. Itā€™s a trivial feature to implement, itā€™s been promised by ford several times, and they havenā€™t delivered, instead focusing in stupid, insipid games (and spare me (ā€œthe games are developed by a separate teamā€. We know the frunk code is in the last stages for Job 1s because people have downloaded it from FDRS themselves.)
I have one of the earliest Mach Es built. Probably built before yours. I do. not. care. and I am *really* tired of hearing about it
Sponsored