Problems with OEM Rear Tire Tread life after 9000 miles - Need replacement already!

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
^^ that is a good possibility as the front motor is supplemental but the rear drives all the time.
My alignment is out in the rear (my right rear camber is off) and toe on both are off but I don't see wear like that at all.
Sponsored

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
So, their alignment rack is probably significantly off. You can go get your alignment done at two different shops and get two totally different readings.

I think you should take it to another shop/dealer to get another alignment.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Two years, 31,000 miles, one year on gravel roads. Front and rear, left and right look the same. I rarely put the accelerator to the floor.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Problems with OEM Rear Tire Tread life after 9000 miles - Need replacement already! PXL_20240109_201955808

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
  • Take it to an independent shop for an alignment check to verify
Agree - get a second opinion at a specialty alignment place.

Looks like a camber or toe alignment.

FWIW I wouldn't trust Ford's alignment.

OP
OP

dasmachE

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache E Premium 2023 AWD - Extended range
Country flag
I'm patiently waiting at the dealer right now! Thanks all for the pictures... I know the camber is a noticably positive, which could explain the outside edges... Seeing as I drive 75% of the time highways and bluecrusie... honestly this doesn't make much sense...

When I picked up the car new, the front wheels were actually not aligned with the steering wheel and it was askew! So I wouldn't be surprised that the back were messed up out of the factory...

They are realigning just in case... Let's see but I've already filled a complaint with Ford

OP
OP

dasmachE

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you have teenagers that drive once in a while?
  • Take it to an independent shop for an alignment check to verify
  • Ask your teenage drivers if they are doing donuts in the parking lot
  • Push Ford for a solution. This wear is NOT NORMAL even if only RWD you wouldn't wear the outside edge like that unless you are putting the car through some seriously extreme situations
I have 15k mi on my Premium AWD ER and all 4 tires look like your front tire and neither my wife nor I baby it. We like to drive.
Ha... I don't let me son near the car!!!

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The fact that the alignment was out when you first picked up the car is suspect. I expect it more likely had a loading/unloading incident during delivery rather than coming out of the factory that way, although one never knows.
Another thing to check - do the rear wheels track directly over the front wheel track when driving straight? Drive through a puddle with the steering wheel perfectly straight and see if they are directly tracking over the front wheel track. If so, try it again under moderate acceleration and see if it is still tracking straight.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
my factory Michelin barely made it to 20k miles.... but I drive pretty hard. I am at 10k on the Contis and they are still looking pretty good.

OP
OP

dasmachE

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks all! So finished at the dealer, two new tires replaced under warranty and they are being sent to Ford. For those guessing the toe alignment was off, you were right. Despite their laser measurement when they brought it in, once they rechecked it they found how off it was

PXL_20240109_210337189.jpg
Sponsored