David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
So there I was on my first long drive from the west coast to St George Utah. As I left Barstow Ca I adjusted the AC vent and the next thing that happened was warning lights. I just happened to be next to an off ramp and glided up to a stop. It took a minute but I realized I had turned the car off. I could not believe that someone actually designed the vent in that position. After swearing a lot I was on my way. I am still surprised at the design. I suspect there have been others who have done this but it may be hard to admit turning your car off doing 70 mph.
Dear Ford fire the guy who thought that was a good place for the vent.
I've had the car for 5 months and 10K miles. I've adjusted that vent dozens of times. None of them have resulted in me accidentally turning the car off. Not when I first got the car, and certainly not recently.
Sponsored

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Yes I had to stop, put it in neutral and have my foot on the brake to re-start. As numerous people responded I must have press the button to shut the motor off - it all happened so unexpectedly I didn't realize I was pushing on the Start/Stop button while changing the position of the AC/Heater outlet. Oh well live and learn, no real harm done. I must admit though I think twice now before changing that outlet's position!
Thank you for being the guinea pig here. Glad it all worked out OK.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
I have no sympathy for anyone who may actually have "accidentally" pressed the Start/Stop button long enough to turn the car off "while adjusting the vent." The moral of that story, if true, is to pay attention to what you are doing and learn the functions of your car before you drive it. I'm sorry, but those stories indicate inattention to me, not bad design.

And those darn kids can also get off my lawn.

rlpellow

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e AWD select
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Why isn’t the start/stop disabled while the car is moving?

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Why isn’t the start/stop disabled while the car is moving?
Because you need to have a way to power the car off in an emergency, like a stuck accelerator pedal.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
From the article “Tesla also noted, though, that the driver did press the ‘Park’ button four times while traveling at high speed. However, the button must be pressed for an extended period of time for the vehicle to come to a stop.”

The problem is that this is NOT common knowledge and it’s not exactly something you would test out in normal driving.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
From the article “Tesla also noted, though, that the driver did press the ‘Park’ button four times while traveling at high speed. However, the button must be pressed for an extended period of time for the vehicle to come to a stop.”

The problem is that this is NOT common knowledge and it’s not exactly something you would test out in normal driving.
That's the main issue here. When you don't have standard operating procedure, you likey won't know it in an emergency. People are use to power buttons, and using it regularly creates muscle memory.

The other issue is that they are making this information public about a privately owned vehicle.
Sponsored