First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
There is a great benefit from not having that: no HVB charge dissipation when it is "off". As I am sure you know, when you are using Sentry mode on a Tesla, it will drain the HVB. But the MME can be parked and off for a week and it will never even lose 1% of the battery charge.
Sentry mode can be turned off. Same for other significant power draws on a parked Tesla like the very wasteful Cabin Overheat Protection.

Maybe if the Mach-E had a similar feature, along with cameras pointing outward (instead of mostly downward), then it might cause a similarly significant power drain.

If you really want to monitor your car, you can install a dashcam and connect it to mobile Internet. Forum members have monitored their car through service appointments at the dealer and the HVB didn't suffer.
I suppose then, that Sentry mode is highly power inefficient. Maybe it doesn't have dedicated, low power modules to keep it functioning like a dedicated dashcam would.
Sponsored

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Honestly, for safety reasons you really do want an immediate off button in case something critical (like the brake function) fails in the car.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
I appreciate you posting your experience. I have wondered what would happen if you pushed it while driving. I feel better knowing the car will keep going and the motor doesn't just lock up. I sorta thought this would be disabled while moving and was curious but never curious enough to test it.

Jtbuster

First Name
Brian oConnor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Country flag
I don't doubt that this happened to you. But you didn't cause the car to shutoff by accidentally "brushing" the Start/Stop button. It takes an actual push that is longer than 2 seconds, or 2 pushes of the button within a couple of seconds to get the car to shutoff. How do I know this? I went out to my car and tested this. Just tapping the button without pushing it did nothing. I tried brushing it repeatedly without pressing it, and it wouldn't shutoff.

Both of my Prii (a 2005, and a 2012 Plug-in) behaved in a similar manner: a momentary push was ignored. A prolonged push caused the car to turn off. Steering was a bit more difficult as were applying the brakes. Notable about the MME, I appeared to have full steering power and braking.
Well done.
For the rest of you latter in this thread read this.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Which is why Ford is really good at giving us options. Some people have needs that others do not. The primary reason I chose the MME over a Tesla is freedom of choice in how I use the vehicle. Tesla just takes away stuff and makes you deal with it. Not ideal IMO....
YES! The most aggravating thing in any device is when it assumes it knows better than I do what I want and gets it wrong. IMHO Fords approach of providing options is much better than Teslas in this regard.

OP
OP
Gil McC

Gil McC

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Shelby GT500, 20Infinity G37X, 2021 MME GT PE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Seems like it should at least be harder to turn the car off if it's in gear and moving.

Did you have to stop to turn it back on, or could you do it while in motion?
Yes I had to stop, put it in neutral and have my foot on the brake to re-start. As numerous people responded I must have press the button to shut the motor off - it all happened so unexpectedly I didn't realize I was pushing on the Start/Stop button while changing the position of the AC/Heater outlet. Oh well live and learn, no real harm done. I must admit though I think twice now before changing that outlet's position!

TEP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 dark matter ext battery
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Very disconcerting event: I accidently touched, (brushed) the Start/Stop Button while adjusting the air vent above the start/stop button. The car turned off the motor and put a emergency message on the small screen in front of me stating pull over immediately, shift to neutral, hold the foot brake on and re-start using the start/stop button to start the car again. Needless to say, this was very disconcerting at 60 MPH and a scary situation in heavy traffic. Luckily I was able to do this safely and we continued our journey.

My question is how is this possible while actively driving a car? With the vent directly above the Start/Stop switch and needing only a very light touch on the switch, I feel this is a very unsafe situation! Admittedly I've put on ~5500 miles on the car and this is the only time I've had this happen. I would think you would need to push and hold the switch for a few seconds, if the car is moving to ensure you want to shut the motor(s) off. The steering and brakes continued to operate normally.

TEP

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 dark matter ext battery
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Very disconcerting event: I accidently touched, (brushed) the Start/Stop Button while adjusting the air vent above the start/stop button. The car turned off the motor and put a emergency message on the small screen in front of me stating pull over immediately, shift to neutral, hold the foot brake on and re-start using the start/stop button to start the car again. Needless to say, this was very disconcerting at 60 MPH and a scary situation in heavy traffic. Luckily I was able to do this safely and we continued our journey.

My question is how is this possible while actively driving a car? With the vent directly above the Start/Stop switch and needing only a very light touch on the switch, I feel this is a very unsafe situation! Admittedly I've put on ~5500 miles on the car and this is the only time I've had this happen. I would think you would need to push and hold the switch for a few seconds, if the car is moving to ensure you want to shut the motor(s) off. The steering and brakes continued to operate normally.
So there I was on my first long drive from the west coast to St George Utah. As I left Barstow Ca I adjusted the AC vent and the next thing that happened was warning lights. I just happened to be next to an off ramp and glided up to a stop. It took a minute but I realized I had turned the car off. I could not believe that someone actually designed the vent in that position. After swearing a lot I was on my way. I am still surprised at the design. I suspect there have been others who have done this but it may be hard to admit turning your car off doing 70 mph.
Dear Ford fire the guy who thought that was a good place for the vent.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Which is why Ford is really good at giving us options. Some people have needs that others do not. The primary reason I chose the MME over a Tesla is freedom of choice in how I use the vehicle. Tesla just takes away stuff and makes you deal with it. Not ideal IMO....
+1
I agree with Ford making the choice to be a bridge from ICE to EV for people- 90% of the reason I got the MME was to support Ford going all Model T on EVs. Still, there are better ways to do things that are enabled by EVs, and change will come. The old ways hold us back, the future is happening, and it will be different
Not all changes are for the better. Personally, I'd leaf the on/off feature alone.
Sponsored