Raleigh NC to Sarasota FL (0.75 mi/kWh efficiency!!!)

D’Roc

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E SR eAWD
Occupation
Program Manager
Country flag
So, I left Friday morning with (an optimistic) 400 miles on the guessometer and an outside temperature of 70 degrees. Stopped at 12% SoC at 320 miles. Average efficiency was only 0.73mi/kWh. But 100% reached in only 10 minutes.

Next leg, 275 miles and down to 26% SoC. Again, only 0.73mi/kWh but back to 100% in 15 minutes (failed to read credit card on first attempt).

Destination (97.8 miles) reached with 79% SoC and average efficiency up to 0.82 mi/kWh due to average speeds dropping from between 72 and 84 mph down to 62-77 mph.

I hope it’s been figured out, this was me driving my mom’s ICE vehicle to her winter home. But the point I’m attempting to make is that these are the expectations an average ICE driver would have on a 700 mile trip if they were to convert to an EV.

Other comparative notes:
15 gallon tank = 505 kWh battery
Energy Cost: $84 for 925 kWh or 27.45 gallons. ($0.12/kWh or $3.06/gallon)

I love my MME, my 3rd BEV, and will likely never go back to ICE due to:the convenience of charging daily in my garage, the abundant smooth torque of an EV, and the efficiency in city stop and go traffic.
But a focus of future development for BEVs needs to be highway efficiency (my Taycan had a 2-speed transmission to aid this) and a charging infrastructure with high speeds and cost competitiveness (my recent trip to Vermont had an average cost of $0.48/kWh).

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Thoughts:
Your numbers don’t make any sense.
You drove 300 miles but only got 0.75mikes/kwh? And recharged to 100% in 10 minutes?
That’s not even possible in 800V architecture.

OP
OP
D’Roc

D’Roc

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E SR eAWD
Occupation
Program Manager
Country flag
Thoughts:
Your numbers don’t make any sense.
You drove 300 miles but only got 0.75mikes/kwh? And recharged to 100% in 10 minutes?
That’s not even possible in 800V architecture.
See 4th paragraph.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
There is no way I’m going back. I’ve been EVing for 8 years now. Right now both cars in the house are EVs.

But yes, once charge times are as quick as gassing up, everyone will buy them.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
But a focus of future development for BEVs needs to be highway efficiency (my Taycan had a 2-speed transmission to aid this) and a charging infrastructure with high speeds and cost competitiveness (my recent trip to Vermont had an average cost of $0.48/kWh).

Thoughts?
Nah, two speed transmission does squat for highway efficiency.

Dumping permanent magnet front motors (actually dumping them both) and going with brushed motors like BMW is step one. The stopgap is physically disconnecting the front motor like the Hyundai/Kia EVs do or induction front motor like Teslas.

Long-term, folks just need to accept a brick on wheels (aka an SUV) will be poor highway efficiency. Aerodynamics matter the most and also temperatures. When it got cold recently my Rivian R1S went from 2.1 mi/kWh to 1.7 mi/kWh.

If you want high speed charging, go with an 800V (or 1000V like Lucid) EV. 400V is just too darn slow except for small EVs with small battery packs.

OP
OP
D’Roc

D’Roc

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E SR eAWD
Occupation
Program Manager
Country flag
There is no way I’m going back. I’ve been EVing for 8 years now. Right now both cars in the house are EVs.

But yes, once charge times are as quick as gassing up, everyone will buy them.
2 BEVs and 1 PHEV in my household. 3 BEVs if you count my GF who stays over several nights/week.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I hope it’s been figured out, this was me driving my mom’s ICE vehicle to her winter home. But the point I’m attempting to make is that these are the expectations an average ICE driver would have on a 700 mile trip if they were to convert to an EV.
Other comparative notes:
15 gallon tank = 505 kWh battery
Energy Cost: $84 for 925 kWh or 27.45 gallons. ($0.12/kWh or $3.06/gallon)
The important stuff for those who only read the thread title.

That said, a 15 gallon tank is only equivalent to about a 100 kWh battery. (In terms of how much energy it takes to move a 5000 lb vehicle 300 miles).

Why? Because gas engines are very inefficient compared to electric.

It’s a good thing they’re cheap, refuel quickly and everywhere fast.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thoughts? Nonsensical thread. Clicking Ignore at the to.

OP
OP
D’Roc

D’Roc

First Name
Darrin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E SR eAWD
Occupation
Program Manager
Country flag
That said, a 15 gallon tank is only equivalent to about a 100 kWh battery. (In terms of how much energy it takes to move a 5000 lb vehicle 300 miles).
Why? Because gas engines are very inefficient compared to electric.
1 gallon gasoline = 33.7 kWh.

Inefficiency of ICE was one of the things I was emphasizing. BEVs are 3-4 times more energy efficient than ICE.

I’m a huge EV-angelist and see the challenge EVs face, compared to ICE, on long Road Trips (700+ miles). I think a Lucid Air could’ve come pretty close to matching the stats of this trip but that’s still an $80K BEV vs a $8K used 2010 ICE.
Sponsored