New MachE Mom

First Name
Lesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E
Country flag
I have had my Mach E for a week now. When it was charged to bring home, the range showed 210. When I charged it at home (with the 240 volt provided cord) it’s max was 178, then 184. I had to go out of town and used an EA to get it to 80% then a public j1772 and it charged back to 210 miles. Driving back home, the range went down much faster than expected. However, when I switched it to one pedal driving, the range started creeping back up.

Is it normal to get a higher range from a commercial charger? And do you think one-pedal driving was the reason for the range improvement? I read through many posts and saw that the range generally goes up after purchasing it, but when I plugged it in at home last night, it listed 178 as the max again! I am so confused. Thanks for any help!!
Sponsored

Fordmaybe

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No ford yet
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
What were the temperatures was it windy. Do some reading here. Do some searching for range

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I have had my Mach E for a week now. When it was charged to bring home, the range showed 210. When I charged it at home (with the 240 volt provided cord) it’s max was 178, then 184. I had to go out of town and used an EA to get it to 80% then a public j1772 and it charged back to 210 miles. Driving back home, the range went down much faster than expected. However, when I switched it to one pedal driving, the range started creeping back up.

Is it normal to get a higher range from a commercial charger? And do you think one-pedal driving was the reason for the range improvement? I read through many posts and saw that the range generally goes up after purchasing it, but when I plugged it in at home last night, it listed 178 as the max again! I am so confused. Thanks for any help!!
Welcome to the Forum Lesley! Here is a thread you should read that will help you understand what is going on:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ulate-how-far-your-mach-e-can-really-go.6104/

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

What you charge with - DC level 3, level 2, level 1 - has zero impact on range.

No, one-pedal didn't cause the range to go up.

What impacts range is a multitude of factors, led by TEMPERATURE. Last week at 90% I had 244. This morning i have 236. Why? It was 37 overnight.

And, as the many threads will tell you, the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) is not really your range. Your range is your battery size times the miles per kWh you are achieving.

As temps approach 70, you'll get maximum range. As they get colder, or warmer, you get less.

Running the heater will dramatically affect range.

Also - don't charge to 100% every night. Manual advises 90%, go to 100% when you're headed out on a trip where you need range.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
“Every time I get out they keep dragging me back in”

GOM MAFIA rolls on…..

Jes sayin

OP
OP

New MachE Mom

First Name
Lesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E
Country flag
What you charge with - DC level 3, level 2, level 1 - has zero impact on range.

No, one-pedal didn't cause the range to go up.

What impacts range is a multitude of factors, led by TEMPERATURE. Last week at 90% I had 244. This morning i have 236. Why? It was 37 overnight.

And, as the many threads will tell you, the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) is not really your range. Your range is your battery size times the miles per kWh you are achieving.

As temps approach 70, you'll get maximum range. As they get colder, or warmer, you get less.

Running the heater will dramatically affect range.

Also - don't charge to 100% every night. Manual advises 90%, go to 100% when you're headed out on a trip where you need range.
Thanks! I did read the thread suggested and it answered some questions, but I was curious about if the type of charger impacted range. The weird thing was the predicted range went up the second half of the three hour trip, and the only thing I changed was switching to OPD. I couldn’t get the ChargePoint station to work and decided to drive another 30 miles to one in Gettysburg PA, but by the time I got there, it had gone up enough that I felt comfortable getting home (another 40 miles). I knew there would be a learning curve switching to an EV. I love my car so far!

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks! I did read the thread suggested and it answered some questions, but I was curious about if the type of charger impacted range. The weird thing was the predicted range went up the second half of the three hour trip, and the only thing I changed was switching to OPD. I couldn’t get the ChargePoint station to work and decided to drive another 30 miles to one in Gettysburg PA, but by the time I got there, it had gone up enough that I felt comfortable getting home (another 40 miles). I knew there would be a learning curve switching to an EV. I love my car so far!
The type of charger does not impact the indicated range. I have only had mine a month but I do not care about range as I only drive between 25 - 50 miles a day and charge at home. If the approximate range display is important to you then it may help to reset your driving history as the seasons change as mi/kWh will go up in summer and down in winter but I believe, and I could be wrong, that the mi/kWh used for range is the overall average and not based on current conditions.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
As said, the amount of power in the battery doesn’t change based on how you get it there. indicated Range may go up while driving if you’re on a downhill, change direction and catch a tailwind, the temp warms, or you’ve adjusted your speed down and the predictive AI, decides you’ll make it further. In your case, the displayed range will be pretty useless as that AI is going to be constantly trying to update its data on how you drive, so right now it’s a complete babbling idiot. Pay it no mind. It will get smarter over the next few months so instead of complete idiot, it will just be a plain lair. Welcome.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Anything that increase your energy used will decrease your range: wind, cold, high speed, uphill driving. The range meter heavily weights your last bit of driving ehen making its wild guess. Conversely things that decrease your energy used will cause a displayed range decrease. It was coincidence that your range increased after a DCFC. Electrons are Electrons. Happy ev driving. :)

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
This is actually an interesting question. Charging adds heat to the battery. DCFC charging causes the battery to warm up more than level 2 charging. If the temperatures were cool, DCFC may have warmed the battery enough that the range estimate increased. It’s an artificial change though, and the battery goes back to normal temperature pretty quickly when driving.
It takes 500+ miles of driving for the range estimate to get somewhat close to reality. These come from the factory with a very conservative estimated range.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
If the temperatures were cool, DCFC may have warmed the battery enough that the range estimate increased. It’s an artificial change though, and the battery goes back to normal temperature pretty quickly when driving.
I have noticed this correlation. If HVB temp is below 80 F the car will heat the HVB during DCFC, resulting in significant GOM inflation. It's back to reality in the AM, though.
Sponsored