Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/compare/cars/

A basic comparison to get an idea, don't get to much in the details?

Over 250 cars...
Would have been good the throw a few common ICE and PHEV vehicles in there for comparison, even though we're already familiar with those (1 refuel, ~5 minutes, <9 hours).

Interesting that they're only showing 3% loss of range on the MME ER AWD at 65 MPH (261 vs 270). Seems optimistic.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Interesting that they're only showing 3% loss of range on the MME ER AWD at 65 MPH (261 vs 270). Seems optimistic.
Especially since ABRP still shows 2.64 miles/kWh at 65 MPH. Times 88 kWh that's just 232 miles of range.

Something's not right.

Edited: 2.64 x 98.8 = 261. That's probably what they did. Which is a problem. I'm guessing that since many BEVs don't publish "usable" battery capacity, they just calculate from the full battery. Which inflates range, potentially throwing their whole analysis off as too optimistic.

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Interesting: They show the Focus Electric @ 65 mph at 75 miles (the original one, not the one with the bigger battery) that is the EPA rating. (Showing my Bolt at 211 a bit lower than the 238 of its EPA rating).

Hmm don't remember if I ever managed the 75 miles at freeway speeds in the Focus--seems like it was more in the mid 60s miles of range.

I'm guessing that chart is also assuming "nice" EV friendly temperatures (mid-70F's).

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
ABRP does not have a magic crystal ball to be able see what the charge curve is on the MME. They can not predict when to unplug for the MME or many others on the list.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Especially since ABRP still shows 2.64 miles/kWh at 65 MPH. Times 88 kWh that's just 232 miles of range.

Something's not right.

Edited: 2.64 x 98.8 = 261. That's probably what they did. Which is a problem. I'm guessing that since many BEVs don't publish "usable" battery capacity, they just calculate from the full battery. Which inflates range, potentially throwing their whole analysis off as too optimistic.
The 2.64 IS based on the full 99kwh battery, but with it ONLY getting 270 miles on that 99kwh. If they correctly used 88kwh for the battery size the mi/kwh would be 2.97

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
ABRP does not have a magic crystal ball to be able see what the charge curve is on the MME. They can not predict when to unplug for the MME or many others on the list.
While true, it's probably the same for ALL the models on that list. Meaning, even for the models already on the road, I doubt they're using real world driver reports. They're probably just using the same published claims from the manufacturer like we're seeing from Ford.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The 2.64 IS based on the full 99kwh battery, but with it ONLY getting 270 miles on that 99kwh. If they correctly used 88kwh for the battery size the mi/kwh would be 2.97
I guess that makes sense, if they're using "full" battery for every model rather than "usable". Which means their miles/kWh numbers are totally bogus.

Well, not "totally", I suppose. It's a necessary manufactured number for their calculations. But it's not the real miles/kWh that the vehicle gets. Their number is just an extrapolation from full battery and range stats.

Kinda misleading (and something casual users probably won't pick up on). But I suppose that's why they let people change that number with their own when they get actual data to plug in.
Sponsored