DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Hmm. I think that humid air is less dense than dry air. That is why clouds don't fall out of the sky.
Here's a link:
My mistake. Thanks.
But rain does fall out of the sky! ;) And when it does it gets on the road surface and gets picked up by the tires, which cools the tires and increases rolling resistance.

As for drag, I agree that you should ALWAYS ask a pilot!

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
But rain does fall out of the sky! ;) And when it does it gets on the road surface and gets picked up by the tires, which cools the tires and increases rolling resistance.

As for drag, I agree that you should ALWAYS ask a pilot!
Asking a pilot often is a drag. note: I am a second gen pilot

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
The average of their two combined ratings is 262.5, so basically 265.

I like the way they presented that data.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm waiting to see what Kyle Connor gets on his 70mph range test. That's a bit more reflective of typical highway speeds in most (not all) of the U.S.
I am too. But I'm also very curious about the impact of cabin heating/cooling, which appears to be a much bigger impact than I originally knew. Like, potentially 30% off range.

Kyle's initial drive video showed a short test with cruise control at 70 MPH on a damp highway and 45F ext temp. He'd already been driving the car for some time so it was surely already up to temp. He reset the trip meter and drove 11.2 miles, and it showed 2.1 miles/kWh. At a steady 70 MPH that's just over 13 minutes, and 5.3 kWh consumed.

Energy consumption from the screen:
Start: 32-58-5-5 (% for Climate-Route-Accessories-ExtTemp)
Finish: 31-59-5-5

What I'm unsure of is whether resetting the trip meter resets those energy consumption numbers. I would assume so, but don't know for sure. That would drastically change this analysis if they don't reset. Assuming they do though...

Climate going from 32% to 31% over the 13 minutes is a pretty minor difference, suggesting that it actually consumes around 31% just to keep running the heater when it's 45F outside.

If it were the perfect temp outside, such that climate control is off (consuming 0%), 31% of 5.3 kWh = 1.6 kWh that would be saved over that 13 minutes. The remaining 3.7 kWh would still be used for Route, etc. 11.2 / 3.7 = 3.03 miles/kWh. EPA on the AWD ER is 270 / 88 = 3.07. Getting 3.03 at 70 MPH on damp highway would be great!

But if that 31% climate number is accurate, that's the opposite of great.

(The usual caveats apply, of course.)

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I'm waiting to see what Kyle Connor gets on his 70mph range test. That's a bit more reflective of typical highway speeds in most (not all) of the U.S.
There is no real answer to the question: What is the real world range of this BEV? Kyle Connor's test will just be one more data point. Interesting but not any more definitive than any other test. The problem with Connor's test was changing conditions. Since even small differences in wind speed, temperature, and humidity will make a difference, testing the same vehicle on different days will result in different ranges. The problem is compounded when trying to generalize from one copy to all copies. Even off the assembly line that is problematic since two vehicles of the same make and model with identically rated batteries will have slightly different usable battery capacity. (Which is why riding around the parking lot until the car dies is theatre sans substance).

Now that he's moved from NC to CO the problem will be a magnitude greater.

Which just points out that there is no such as the "real world range" of a BEV. There is the range you get and the ranges other people get. And of course there are the EPA ranges and then the Tesla EPA ranges. Those aren't likely to be the same.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Which just points out that there is no such as the "real world range" of a BEV.
Sure there is, it's the range I get while driving around an island with no freeways. ;)

Point well taken. :)

Reactions: DBC

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is no real answer to the question: What is the real world range of this BEV? Kyle Connor's test will just be one more data point. Interesting but not any more definitive than any other test. The problem with Connor's test was changing conditions. Since even small differences in wind speed, temperature, and humidity will make a difference, testing the same vehicle on different days will result in different ranges. The problem is compounded when trying to generalize from one copy to all copies. Even off the assembly line that is problematic since two vehicles of the same make and model with identically rated batteries will have slightly different usable battery capacity. (Which is why riding around the parking lot until the car dies is theatre sans substance).

Now that he's moved from NC to CO the problem will be a magnitude greater.

Which just points out that there is no such as the "real world range" of a BEV. There is the range you get and the ranges other people get. And of course there are the EPA ranges and then the Tesla EPA ranges. Those aren't likely to be the same.
While true, people still need something to go by. It can't just be "pick any number". We still need real world mileage datapoints, but we also need to know the conditions they were performed at so we can extrapolate reasonable estimates for our own situations.

I don't think anyone is expecting perfect numbers, just reasonable ballpark estimates.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I am too. But I'm also very curious about the impact of cabin heating/cooling, which appears to be a much bigger impact than I originally knew. Like, potentially 30% off range.

Kyle's initial drive video showed a short test with cruise control at 70 MPH on a damp highway and 45F ext temp. He'd already been driving the car for some time so it was surely already up to temp. He reset the trip meter and drove 11.2 miles, and it showed 2.1 miles/kWh. At a steady 70 MPH that's just over 13 minutes, and 5.3 kWh consumed.

Energy consumption from the screen:
Start: 32-58-5-5 (% for Climate-Route-Accessories-ExtTemp)
Finish: 31-59-5-5

What I'm unsure of is whether resetting the trip meter resets those energy consumption numbers. I would assume so, but don't know for sure. That would drastically change this analysis if they don't reset. Assuming they do though...

Climate going from 32% to 31% over the 13 minutes is a pretty minor difference, suggesting that it actually consumes around 31% just to keep running the heater when it's 45F outside.

If it were the perfect temp outside, such that climate control is off (consuming 0%), 31% of 5.3 kWh = 1.6 kWh that would be saved over that 13 minutes. The remaining 3.7 kWh would still be used for Route, etc. 11.2 / 3.7 = 3.03 miles/kWh. EPA on the AWD ER is 270 / 88 = 3.07. Getting 3.03 at 70 MPH on damp highway would be great!

But if that 31% climate number is accurate, that's the opposite of great.

(The usual caveats apply, of course.)
Unfortunately when I tried the MME on December 2, resetting the trip meter didn’t reset the consummation numbers. We wanted to see the effect of driving 100 kph instead of 115 kph and nothing changed. I was also disappointed to see that there was no way to see live numbers like I can actually see on my Kona Electric and I find this very useful.

Driving at 115 kph for about 90 minutes gave us 24-25 kWh/100 km. It was 9 C outside (48 F) with light rain.

Just to compare, we went in a Model Y to try the MME and for the exact same condition (except wind that I don’t know), the Model Y average 17.5 kWh/100 km, 35-40% less than the Mach-E. The model Y is even more efficient than my Kona at 115 kph, very impressive. I will definitely miss an heat pump in Quebec. The climate percentage looked really high compared to my Kona in condition much wrost than that but I don’t know when the counter started. We got the car preheated with 98% battery and it showed a range of 212 miles (AWD extended range).

P.S. sorry for metric units, I was too lazy to convert everything

324728E7-4812-4386-9A0B-AC2A61D647F2.jpeg

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
sorry for metric units, I was too lazy to convert everything
It’s just us, Myanmar and Liberia that are too lazy to be bothered using a proper system of measurement. We are the ones that need to convert. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to see how far it is above the freezing point of a brine made from water, ice and aluminum chloride. I’m guess about 54.

115 kph = 71 mph (and change)

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
It’s just us, Myanmar and Liberia that are too lazy to be bothered using a proper system of measurement. We are the ones that need to convert. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to see how it is far above the freezing point of a brine made from water, ice and aluminum chloride. I’m guess about 54.

115 kph = 71 mph (and change)
115 kph = slow for a highway

54 deg. F in Hawaii = you're probably all bundled up in 19 layers and looking for a heater

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
115 kph = slow for a highway
That's about how fast I drive on the NJ turnpike. The folks with the flashy lights love to play hide-and-seek on the NJTP, and I really have no interest in being "it".

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
That's about how fast I drive on the NJ turnpike. The folks with the flashy lights love to play hide-and-seek on the NJTP, and I really have no interest in being "it".
ok, fair, some of us don't live in NJ... any longer anyway. ?
Sponsored