Real world range?

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I’m sticking right around 250 to 270 miles range. But about 80% of my driving is highway and I’ve used plenty of AC this summer, so I’m thrilled with the range!

The Tesla is going to win on efficiency: maybe 0.5 to 1.0 miles more per kWh. But electricity is so cheap that I don’t care about that at all.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Yeoman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Yea I loved the Mach E when I first heard it was released! Canadian pricing sucks tho. If I want the AWD ER it’s going to run me about 74k. AWD Long range Tesla 3 is costing me about 66k.

might just opt for the RWD ER Mach E and take the hit on the power side of things.

Ken Josing

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hello all!

looking to purchase my first all Electric vehicle. I’m looking at the Tesla model 3 LR AWD and the Mustang Mach e LR. Without starting a debate as to what is better, I just need some advice from real world Mach e drivers on what their actual range is between charging. Estimates are 475km, how close are people actually getting to that with normal everyday driving, and not driving crazy.
My longest trip, started at 94% drove 276 miles returning home at 9%. That’s 85% of the battery or 74.80 kWh consumed for an average of 3.69 miles per kWh. A full charge would have yielded 324.71 miles which is 6% over the 305 miles estimate advertised for the LR battery. Premium, LR RWD, I’m in whisper mode, one pedal, 72 mph freeway, using cruise. The vehicles are night and day, only you can pick what fits your life style. $7,500 rebate is gone for the "T" car but alive with the MME. EV is the way to go as the ICE machines are melting away. Go Luck!

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
I recently traded in my Tesla M3 AWD for the ER AWD MME and the data logs suggests it averaged about 300 Wh/mi (3.3 mi/KWh) over the 17k miles I owned it. Where I live, cold winters and warm but not hot summers is the norm and I never got the rated EPA range of 310 miles and of course much lower in winter.

I don’t know if this is helpful but here are some efficiency numbers ordered by temperature for drives of at least 15 miles in my TM3. The MME says I am at 3.5 mi/KWh at just 350 miles so this would slot in at 285 Wh/mi when compared to the TM3, a decent start for summertime driving in a bigger vehicle.

8817CD3D-052B-437B-8550-49F7F703F717.jpeg

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Hello all!

looking to purchase my first all Electric vehicle. I’m looking at the Tesla model 3 LR AWD and the Mustang Mach e LR. Without starting a debate as to what is better, I just need some advice from real world Mach e drivers on what their actual range is between charging. Estimates are 475km, how close are people actually getting to that with normal everyday driving, and not driving crazy.
This is an impossible question to answer. The range depends on so many variables that no single number can be correct. I, so far, have seen the efficiency from 1.8 to 5.6 miles per kWh. That's more than 3x difference. In August I've been driving 100% in the city and the current number is 4.1 mi/kWh.
So the only reasonable approach is to look at the road tests when the cars are driven on the same road, at the same time, at the same speed. That way you can know their relative efficiency.

JuliaSWMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTPE Nite Pony
Country flag
Yea I loved the Mach E when I first heard it was released! Canadian pricing sucks tho. If I want the AWD ER it’s going to run me about 74k. AWD Long range Tesla 3 is costing me about 66k.

might just opt for the RWD ER Mach E and take the hit on the power side of things.
Canadian pricing really sucks. No tax credit in Ontario either. Not sure in other provinces. Taxes in you’re looking at about 80k for premium ER AWD

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

monolith10101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier
Country flag
It all depends on the outside temperature, if you are driving up inclines, if you are driving mostly highway or surface streets, how fast you drive, etc, but - in normal temperatures and with normal driving, EPA ratings are accurate.

As one data point, over 4K miles, 50/50 highway and city here in Southern California, we have averaged 4.1 mi/kWh in our CA Rt 1. That’s about 360 miles of range.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag

You forgot that the tax man wants a slice of the pie as well, so actually your paying about $83k for a premium MME 4X in Canada. That's what I paid for mine anyway.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I recently traded in my Tesla M3 AWD for the ER AWD MME and the data logs suggests it averaged about 300 Wh/mi (3.3 mi/KWh) over the 17k miles I owned it. Where I live, cold winters and warm but not hot summers is the norm and I never got the rated EPA range of 310 miles and of course much lower in winter.

I don’t know if this is helpful but here are some efficiency numbers ordered by temperature for drives of at least 15 miles in my TM3. The MME says I am at 3.5 mi/KWh at just 350 miles so this would slot in at 285 Wh/mi when compared to the TM3, a decent start for summertime driving in a bigger vehicle.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Real world range? Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 3.20.46 AM
What year was your Model 3? I'm assuming 2018-2020, so it has the older PTC heaters which hurt cold weather efficiency.

My 2020 Y Long Range has the heat pump and cold weather temps drop the efficiency from 240 Wh/mi (4.17 miles/kWh) to 275 Wh/mi (3.6 miles/kWh), or roughly 15%. My wife has a 2021 3 Performance. We picked it up in March 2021 so we don't have a full winter with it yet, so I don't have feedback on efficiency.

Tesla needs to stop gaming the EPA system and provide more realistic numbers based upon higher speeds, or list both city and highway ranges. The Y LR is more realistic around 270 miles highway, 330 city. The 3 LR is more realistic around 295 miles highway, 330 city. These numbers don't include the reserve (4.5% of nominal battery pack size), which is another thing Tesla does to stretch the numbers further.

OP
OP

Yeoman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
You forgot that the tax man wants a slice of the pie as well, so actually your paying about $83k for a premium MME 4X in Canada. That's what I paid for mine anyway.
yea both still require tax the Tesla still comes in at a better value, even if I fall asleep at the sight of the interior ?

I still think a RWD Mach e premium might be the one for me at the right price. Not sure if I’ll miss the lack of torque in that model. ??‍♂

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
yea both still require tax the Tesla still comes in at a better value, even if I fall asleep at the sight of the interior ?

I still think a RWD Mach e premium might be the one for me at the right price. Not sure if I’ll miss the lack of torque in that model. ??‍♂
The Model Y AWD long range, in anything other than white paint is priced the same as the Mach-E premium AWD 4X. If you add 13% sales tax (I'm in Ontario) and you end up with the same $83k ??.

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that the Model Y is a better value, but I guess that's a pretty subjective metric depending on what sorts of things you actually value.

In my mind when built identically, the Mach-E still gets better REAL WORLD actually achievable range. The Mach-E is a heck of allot sexier to look at (but again that's subjective). Mach-E is a much better build quality. Mach-E has standard features like heated steering wheel that are not available in the Y. It's got dual displays, and actual kobs and levers where they make sense for things like the glove box, volume control, and exiting the vehicle etc.. Not to mention in the event of a power failure you don't need to practically take the door apart to exit the vehicle via the "emergency lever", and on the Mach-E you just outlet the same exit latch. You also get autonomous level 2 driving via an OTA (Blue Cruise) software update for less than $1000, whereas you're going to pay north of $10,000 for the same level 2 "self driving" on the model Y, and in the Mach-E it will be truly hands free as the system monitors your eyes, while the Model Y still requires you to touch the steering wheel from time to time.

In my (personal opinion) the Mach-E is a much better value! But at the end of the day, to each their own I guess.

Screenshot_20210812-123302_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP

Yeoman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
The Model Y AWD long range, in anything other than white paint is priced the same as the Mach-E premium AWD 4X. If you add 13% sales tax (I'm in Ontario) and you end up with the same $83k ??.

Not sure how you come to the conclusion that the Model Y is a better value, but I guess that's a pretty subjective metric depending on what sorts of things you actually value.

In my mind when built identically, the Mach-E still gets better REAL WORLD actually achievable range. The Mach-E is a heck of allot sexier to look at (but again that's subjective). Mach-E is a much better build quality. Mach-E has standard features like heated steering wheel that are not available in the Y. It's got dual displays, and actual kobs and levers where they make sense for things like the glove box, volume control, and exiting the vehicle etc.. Not to mention in the event of a power failure you don't need to practically take the door apart to exit the vehicle via the "emergency lever", and on the Mach-E you just outlet the same exit latch. You also get autonomous level 2 driving via an OTA (Blue Cruise) software update for less than $1000, whereas you're going to pay north of $10,000 for the same level 2 "self driving" on the model Y, and in the Mach-E it will be truly hands free as the system monitors your eyes, while the Model Y still requires you to touch the steering wheel from time to time.

In my (personal opinion) the Mach-E is a much better value! But at the end of the day, to each their own I guess.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Real world range? Screenshot_20210812-123302_Chrome
i was comparing it to the model 3. I know the model Y is the closer comparison, but I don’t have need for the extra space. So I could get a model 3 performance for roughly the same cost as a Mach e AWD premium. Those were the EV that I liked best.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
What year was your Model 3? I'm assuming 2018-2020, so it has the older PTC heaters which hurt cold weather efficiency.
2019 so no heat pump. I also ran with snow tires in the winter which also probably caused a hit to the winter range.

I used the TeslaFi service so I have all my trip data, maybe I can see about duplicating a drive from a year ago when the conditions (temp, wind) are similar and comparing the results.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Canadian pricing really sucks. No tax credit in Ontario either. Not sure in other provinces. Taxes in you’re looking at about 80k for premium ER AWD
Closer to $85k. No incentives in BC. And I'm hassling the local power utility for putting me on higher electricity because I use more to charge my electric car that they were encouraging me to buy.
But still happy.
Sponsored