TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unfortunately when I tried the MME on December 2, resetting the trip meter didn’t reset the consummation numbers.
Thanks. That's sure disappointing. Hopefully that changes in the production models. That's kinda the whole point of a trip meter - to measure key metrics for a specific trip.

I also hope there's a "Current" snapshot for consumption and other related metrics, but I'm becoming more doubtful. ?
Sponsored

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Unfortunately when I tried the MME on December 2, resetting the trip meter didn’t reset the consummation numbers. We wanted to see the effect of driving 100 kph instead of 115 kph and nothing changed. I was also disappointed to see that there was no way to see live numbers like I can actually see on my Kona Electric and I find this very useful.

Driving at 115 kph for about 90 minutes gave us 24-25 kWh/100 km. It was 9 C outside (48 F) with light rain.

Just to compare, we went in a Model Y to try the MME and for the exact same condition (except wind that I don’t know), the Model Y average 17.5 kWh/100 km, 35-40% less than the Mach-E. The model Y is even more efficient than my Kona at 115 kph, very impressive. I will definitely miss an heat pump in Quebec. The climate percentage looked really high compared to my Kona in condition much wrost than that but I don’t know when the counter started. We got the car preheated with 98% battery and it showed a range of 212 miles (AWD extended range).

P.S. sorry for metric units, I was too lazy to convert everything
Why you ditching the Kona?

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Thanks. That's sure disappointing. Hopefully that changes in the production models. That's kinda the whole point of a trip meter - to measure key metrics for a specific trip.

I also hope there's a "Current" snapshot for consumption and other related metrics, but I'm becoming more doubtful. ?
I’m sure it will be added by future updates. Unless Ford wants to hide it like the hid the instant fuel economy in my Mustang GT 2012x showing only unprecise bars to not show 14 mpg ?

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Why you ditching the Kona?
Euh... to buy a Mach-E! The Kona was only for a transition while waiting for a bigger AWD electric car. I wouldn’t have bought it in June 2019 if I new that the Mach-E would be announced a few months later. Anyway I don’t regret it. I will miss the extra autonomy and the heat pump but other than that the Mach-E will make me forget everything else.

EMachE

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Mechanic
Country flag
Something on Kyle's drive really didn't hit me until I watched it again... He read off the energy stats at one point:

Climate 31%
Route 59%
Accessories 5%
External Temp 5%

I assume "Climate" refers to use of cabin heating/cooling? If so, 31% sounds MASSIVE. Do we think the cabin heater really uses 31% of the battery???
I’m not worried yet because the MME will be plugged in while preconditioning the cabin before leaving which will change the numbers

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Euh... to buy a Mach-E! The Kona was only for a transition while waiting for a bigger AWD electric car. I wouldn’t have bought it in June 2019 if I new that the Mach-E would be announced a few months later. Anyway I don’t regret it. I will miss the extra autonomy and the heat pump but other than that the Mach-E will make me forget everything else.
Yeah I hesitated a lot with the Kona. It's a hell of lot cheaper, has more range, and in QC is eligible for both rebates. OTOH I wanted a decent backseat and trunk size. Then I read the battery issues in Korea and backed off.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yay, the first well-controlled real-world high speed test, I believe. I don't think they said whether this is a preproduction unit or a real one. Presumably preproduction.

But still, pretty good results overall. Also encouraged that the Climate Energy% is showing 15% with 70F cabin air @ 46F outside. That's better than the 31% Kyle showed on that 12-minute segment that must have had some lingering sit-time in it. That 31% raised an eyebrow.

So 219 "real world" 70 MPH range adjusted for 10-80% normal range is 153. Not bad for the 2nd/3rd/4th legs of a drive day.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Just came here to share the same article. 224 miles AWD EX on highway only, in winter.
This is not bad at all. Maybe over 250 in good conditions?

Rainy weather can mean a decrease in efficiency from anywhere between 10% to 30% due to increased rolling resistance from the water's surface tension and aerodynamic drag (wind and water).

Tesla forums are full of questions on rainy weather range and Bjorn always makes note of rain on his range tests.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
Just came here to share the same article. 224 miles AWD EX on highway only, in winter.
Could be but the mistakes in the article make it less than credible. For example, the MPGe numbers are from the wall not the battery, so if trying to use the MPGe to predict miles/kWh from the battery the MPGe numbers would have to be adjusted.

The highway number -- and contrary to the article it's an actual highway number NOT the Highway Drive Cycle -- can be derived from the total range and the relative relationship between the MPGe numbers.

That number is 246 miles. Adjust up or down as you see fit.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Could be but the mistakes in the article make it less than credible. For example, the MPGe numbers are from the wall not the battery, so if trying to use the MPGe to predict miles/kWh from the battery the MPGe numbers would have to be adjusted.

The highway number -- and contrary to the article it's an actual highway number NOT the Highway Drive Cycle -- can be derived from the total range and the relative relationship between the MPGe numbers.

That number is 246 miles. Adjust up or down as you see fit.
No, he ran the car dry (1%) and got 219 miles. Taking the "from the wall" highway EPA MPGe of 84/33.7 you get about 2.5 mi/kwh, and multiplying by 88 you also get 219 miles. Therefore, a close approximation of the "real" highway range for the other models can be computed by taking their highway MPGe and dividing by 33.7.

Probably just a coincidence, but there it is.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
?? "Actual highway" at what speed? And what driving conditions? I wasn't aware than any EPA or MPGe figures came from actual road tests.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
No, he ran the car dry (1%) and got 219 miles. Taking the "from the wall" highway EPA MPGe of 84/33.7 you get about 2.5 mi/kwh, and multiplying by 88 you also get 219 miles. Therefore, a close approximation of the "real" highway range for the other models can be computed by taking their highway MPGe and dividing by 33.7.

Probably just a coincidence, but there it is.
Of course, you could also just take 219/270=.81 and multiply the EPA estimated mileage for each other model :)

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag

Driving at 115 kph for about 90 minutes gave us 24-25 kWh/100 km. It was 9 C outside (48 F) with light rain.

Just to compare, we went in a Model Y to try the MME and for the exact same condition (except wind that I don’t know), the Model Y average 17.5 kWh/100 km, 35-40% less than the Mach-E.
Isn’t 17.5 70% of 25? Making the Tesla consumption 30% less. That’s a significant difference. Why claim the difference is greater than your numbers show?
Sponsored

Last edited: