Rear camera not heated. First REAL Gripe.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
First really snowy drive home from work this morning. Then I tried to back into my garage. This is my backup camera view:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear camera not heated. First REAL Gripe. 6382820C-17FF-4FFD-8963-A8C3F26F6A5C

C’mon @Ford Motor Company. You heated the front camera so that hopefully driver assist features would keep working. You even have it it’s own washer nozzle. How about showing a little love to the back side too.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear camera not heated. First REAL Gripe. 74840105-BED9-4C9A-8AE2-E14A6FAE75B7

Over 20K miles between our two cars and this is the first thing that I can say is unacceptable.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have never owned a car with a heated rear camera. Three Fords, a BMW, and a Toyota.

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Ice Blue GT Performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's not really a thing...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Had no idea the front camera was heated, but the reality is that driving in the conditions you show many of the advanced features are not going to work properly. Windshields get a buildup up top, likely going to block everything that's at the mirror location too.

I keep a rag in the door pocket to clean cameras off as needed.

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
it would be difficult to heat the rear camera, you would have to heat the panel around it to avoid thermal shock. The front is easier as it gets wind head on. but, the larger problem would be that salt and road grime would then collect at the bottom of the camera and make it progressively dirtier very quickly, that could be solved with a spritzer like the front has though.

I guess its possible if thought out correctly. I may be overthinking this, but doesnt the rear window sprayer run off directly on the camera?

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
Had no idea the front camera was heated, but the reality is that driving in the conditions you show many of the advanced features are not going to work properly. Windshields get a buildup up top, likely going to block everything that's at the mirror location too.

I keep a rag in the door pocket to clean cameras off as needed.
this is the answer for me, microfiber, clean the dash screens then cameras, a whole package of them is like 7 bucks.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
That's not really a thing...
But it could be if Ford had wanted it to be. Not THAT big an issue for me as I learned to drive before backup cameras were a thing. Now that they are a thing, rendering them useless 4 months a year IS a thing I guess, which doesn’t make any sense as they were initially mandated as a safety factor. Rendering a safety factor useless seems illogical, especially when a large portion of drivers these days, have never been without a backup cam.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
it would be difficult to heat the rear camera, you would have to heat the panel around it to avoid thermal shock.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear camera not heated. First REAL Gripe. 9C19390F-E6A7-40C2-BD48-664744BD9861

Looks like it can be done without heating the whole panel. If it can be done with an aftermarket add on camera, no reason it can’t be done with an OEM camera.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
C’mon @Ford Motor Company. You heated the front camera so that hopefully driver assist features would keep working.
The rear camera does get warm. I'm not sure if that's intentional heating or a side effect of something else, but it happens. I haven't seen any evidence through my thermal camera that the front camera gets warm though. I also can't find evidence that the windshield wiper area is heated even though I've seen that on spec sheets.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear camera not heated. First REAL Gripe. 1638971377382

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Rear camera not heated. First REAL Gripe. 1638971377382

Looks like it can be done without heating the whole panel. If it can be done with an aftermarket add on camera, no reason it can’t be done with an OEM camera.
not to be that guy… but… those pucks are heating around the camera not the camera itself, since the camera is mounted inside the panel you would have to heat the panel. I didn’t mean the whole panel though just 3 inches around it. The problem you still run into is that with wind and ice your camera could easily be below freezing even with heating, the Leiden frost effect would be sorta reversed here and instead of snow building up you would get strait ice that would encase around the camera. On the front it’s not that big of an issue.

honestly a better fix for this would be to prevent the snow from hitting the camera with some sort of deflector, neither of my other vehicles have this issue with the camera.

shoopla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE, '16 Volvo S60 CrossCountry, '16 XC60
Occupation
Proj Engineer
Country flag
Yeah not a bad recommendation for the future to have it heated. But I agree with others that I've never actually seen this implemented. Even my Volvo, which has an electrically heated windshield and heated washer fluid does not have a heated rear camera. I just always remember to wipe it off when clearing snow and wipe off the dirty salt residue as needed.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Yeah not a bad recommendation for the future to have it heated. But I agree with others that I've never actually seen this implemented. Even my Volvo, which has an electrically heated windshield and heated washer fluid does not have a heated rear camera. I just always remember to wipe it off when clearing snow and wipe off the dirty salt residue as needed.
In my defense, it was clean when I left work. 9 miles later it was worthless. A great feature that is wasted isn’t such a great feature.

walla2

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Prem ER AWD, 2017 Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Clergy
Country flag
In my defense, it was clean when I left work. 9 miles later it was worthless. A great feature that is wasted isn’t such a great feature.
When I lived on Long Island, this was a constant gripe with my Highlander's backup camera and it's adaptive cruise control. Only a slight snow (with clear roads) could take down both systems within 5 miles.

Unfortunately, I think it just is what it is, until Volvo (it's always Volvo, isn't it?) adds a camera wiper or heater or new tech. But I've not seen it on any other vehicle.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
My Edge has a sprayer for both the front and rear camera. It's very nice. I'll use it even just in rain if a rain drop is obscuring enough of the camera.
Sponsored