Rear visibility?

Tpaguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E First Edition
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone who has sat in the Mach E (those who were lucky enough from the auto shows to get the chance), has any info or perspective on rear visibility from the drivers seat?

I have both a Mach E and Model Y on reservation.

I sat in the Model Y and have to say that the rear visibility out the back window was very poor. The fastback roof hatch design of both vehicles makes me think both may have poor visibility out of the rear view mirror

it’s been a toss up for me in deciding which car is best for my needs. I’m thinking the rear visibility may be the tie breaker if the Mach E doesn’t have the same issue.

Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!
Sponsored

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Funny because I also have the Y on order and have driven it. You know, looking at the MachE 3D views and in cabin test drives where they show the rear window, it honestly does not look like we're going to get much better visibility than in the Y.
Honestly if like in the Y I can pull up rear view camera on my dash tablet, I'm not that concerned about it.
I loved my Y test drive and if I had been assured the fit and finish would be as perfect as the test car I drove I would have bought it. But the current cosmetic issues drove me to the MachE and now I'm pretty much going MachE unless Ford plays games.

johnhmcgrath

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Product manager
Country flag
Funny because I also have the Y on order and have driven it. You know, looking at the MachE 3D views and in cabin test drives where they show the rear window, it honestly does not look like we're going to get much better visibility than in the Y.
Honestly if like in the Y I can pull up rear view camera on my dash tablet, I'm not that concerned about it.
I loved my Y test drive and if I had been assured the fit and finish would be as perfect as the test car I drove I would have bought it. But the current cosmetic issues drove me to the MachE and now I'm pretty much going MachE unless Ford plays games.
Late to this, but my wife and I test drove both the Y and the Mach-E last weekend and found that neither of them had great visibility. It was less of a concern for me, but my wife immediately commented on it (she did not test drive the Y). The price sticker was also covering the driver-side passenger window, which may have been a factor.

We came down on not-great visibility being a factor, but not a dealbreaker, and not hugely different between the two. We reserved a Mach-E and figured we'd get used to it.

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
Well, let me put it this way, this is my first "car" in many many years. I normally drive a pickup with what I would call no blind spot. I will say, I am impressed by the visibility on the mustang, but there is still a larger blindspot than my truck or my wifes jeep. To be frank, I can see just fine.

Frank861

First Name
Frank Ruiz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I have a Mach e and yes visibility in the back is not good.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I have a Mach e and yes visibility in the back is not good.
I have only test driven a Mach-e so far, but the visibility is better than my Ice mustang!

blink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red MME+
Ive been driving an old hatchback with pretty poor visibility. I didnt get to test the mach e too much when test driving, but I figure cameras will compensate for poor visibility. Cant be worse than what Ive been driving. And Ive managed with my current car for years with no accidents, so.

There are no available demo Mach Es in your area which you could take for a test drive?

ocdxfv

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, Toyota Rav4 EV
Occupation
Retired radiology tech
Country flag
I took out the three rear seat headrests and the visibility is great. With the headrest in place... visibility no so great. I store them in the Frunk in case I ever need them.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
This is one of the skills that no one explains to drivers (I know it wasn't explained to me) but having owned a DeLorean for 13 years (and of course I am sure there will be a few 'Anything you can do, I can do better' folks on here who have/had cars with 'worse' rearward visibility... anyway.) with arguably some of the worst rearward angles in all of car-dom, I can say, being the owners of our one-owner 2012, 5.0 (she just turned ten years old last week o_O) 2+2 Mustang, *you just need to drive the car and become familiar with it.*

I consciously drove the DeLorean to 'train' to maneuver around on the highway, with cars in different spots behind and beside the car, I would check where they were in my side and rearview mirrors, but then I would actually turn around to check or verify in 'real life' where the cars were and whether or not I could safely make a move.

I would also, do a "just" 'turn my head' check for lane changes where I would look in my mirrors and mentally make a check point on the car, where if I saw the car 'here', I could not/would not make a move, but if the car was in my mirrors at this other point on the car, I knew with certainty, I could safely make a move with just a turn of my head, peripheral vision and my trained mind for this particular car.

It can be and is a real, feel-able difference, which can be un-nerving, when you get into a new car and are not familiar with its nuances, but no matter if its a Mach-E, a DeLorean, my wife's Expedition EL, my Mustang, Mercy (my beloved 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis), or my Father-in-Law's Plymouth Prowler, or Dad's'63 Nova, '70 Plymouth Sport Satellite, or '65 'vert' Mustang, you simply drive, drive and drive.
And for a first few days/weeks, you consciously make note of where cars are at first in the mirrors, then by actually looking to verify whether it's safe or not.
But the bottom line is: Seat time is the key. Really studying your car on the road.
With you training yourself, you too can train your brain to see and then know or not, whether or not a move is good... IN. ANY. CAR.
Probably more than anyone cares to read but a car's rearward visibility (or lack there of) is no reason to not buy it... just buy it (any car) and learn the car like an extension of yourself.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Any car, new or old, can have 'poor rearward visibility' depending who you speak to... either way, set your mirrors, trust but verify with your eyes, but learn the car and you'll be fine.
Plus, I also learned a few years ago, I had never learned the proper way to set up sideview mirrors.
SAE Correct Adjustment of Car Mirrors
Sponsored