Registration/Title fee question

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I used the Ford.com website to reserve a Mach-E last Fri and my dealer emailed me to let know that he is finally able to enter the order. He emailed me what looks like an order form with my name and address and details about the car and asked me to sign and return it. I noticed a $401 registration and title fee--it's been several years since I purchased a car so was wondering if that is just the typical fee for registration and title in NJ or are they also adding something for them to run over to the DMV and do the leg work (which I'd be willing to pay for if reasonable). The NJ DMV site is a bit confusing but it looks like there is both a registration and a title fee (both seem to be in the $80s).

As an aside, it was interesting to see, since he knows I plan to use X-plan and they accept that, that they crossed off the various doc fees (totaling $498) and put in $100. They also included a line that says X Plan and subtracted $2000 from the final amount--not sure how they got that number since it's more than the usual 2% discount but it sounds like this form is just to get the order in and get the ball rolling.
Sponsored

spanky99L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti Q50, F250, 2000 Lightning
Occupation
I Blow Stuff Up
Country flag
x-plan on a GT PE with all options came out to about $1,100 in savings. Hopefully they honor the $2k discount.

Ask for a breakdown of the Title and Registration fee. They may be slipping extra fees in...

Reign of Ravens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E Premium, Chrysler PacHy
Country flag
I've read a number of states have additional fees for electric vehicles, a sort of method of trying to get back at the fact that you won't be buying gasoline and thus won't be contributing to taxes through that. Not sure how it is for New Jersey but if your cost seems higher than standard registration fees, make sure the state doesn't have a higher cost for EVs.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
They cannot honor x-plan and an arbitrary discount simultaneously, per plan rules.
I'm assuming this is 2022 order. Most likely 2022 x-plan pricing wasn't published yet. So, whoever was writing this up, made the assumption that x-plan discount was 4%-$275 instead of 2%-$275. Pretty sure when it's purchase time, they will use the correct number.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm assuming this is 2022 order. Most likely 2022 x-plan pricing wasn't published yet. So, whoever was writing this up, made the assumption that x-plan discount was 4%-$275 instead of 2%-$275. Pretty sure when it's purchase time, they will use the correct number.
True. The correct number is calculated by Ford on the vin-specific invoice, which doesn't exist until the vehicle is locked in to production schedules... At the end of the day, this is not math the dealer has to worry about.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
True. The correct number is calculated by Ford on the vin-specific invoice, which doesn't exist until the vehicle is locked in to production schedules... At the end of the day, this is not math the dealer has to worry about.
This is pretty much what I figured as well. So I suppose I should just sign this and he can then put in the order and we'll work out all the details later. I did think it was a bit odd that there was also an "agreement to arbitrate all claims..." clause which says I waive the right to maintain a court action. Seems to be a standard form and I haven't actually purchased the car yet so I'm guessing ok to sign this?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
This is pretty much what I figured as well. So I suppose I should just sign this and he can then put in the order and we'll work out all the details later. I did think it was a bit odd that there was also an "agreement to arbitrate all claims..." clause which says I waive the right to maintain a court action. Seems to be a standard form and I haven't actually purchased the car yet so I'm guessing ok to sign this?
That's up to you... Probably if you don't sign, then no vehicle order for you, though.

I did the online reservation and order thing... Didn't need to go in to dealer for anything until the vehicle arrived 15.5 months later. So my arbitration agreements were with Ford (via ford.com disclosures) and not on dealer paperwork.

spanky99L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti Q50, F250, 2000 Lightning
Occupation
I Blow Stuff Up
Country flag
They cannot honor x-plan and an arbitrary discount simultaneously, per plan rules.
No but what i'm saying is the x-plan discount isnt that large and they honor to 2K discount...

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I used the Ford.com website to reserve a Mach-E last Fri and my dealer emailed me to let know that he is finally able to enter the order. He emailed me what looks like an order form with my name and address and details about the car and asked me to sign and return it. I noticed a $401 registration and title fee--it's been several years since I purchased a car so was wondering if that is just the typical fee for registration and title in NJ or are they also adding something for them to run over to the DMV and do the leg work (which I'd be willing to pay for if reasonable). The NJ DMV site is a bit confusing but it looks like there is both a registration and a title fee (both seem to be in the $80s).

As an aside, it was interesting to see, since he knows I plan to use X-plan and they accept that, that they crossed off the various doc fees (totaling $498) and put in $100. They also included a line that says X Plan and subtracted $2000 from the final amount--not sure how they got that number since it's more than the usual 2% discount but it sounds like this form is just to get the order in and get the ball rolling.
$401 is correct for NJ, this is outside of the dealer DOC fee's. In your case $498 was reduced to $100 as was mine.

Here is my NJ yellow slip.

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 10.36.21 AM.png

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
No but what i'm saying is the x-plan discount isnt that large and they honor to 2K discount...
Ask if the 2K for the NJ clean rebate plan?

If so that is outside of the X-PLAN discount.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
$401 is correct for NJ, this is outside of the dealer DOC fee's. In your case $498 was reduced to $100 as was mine.

Here is my NJ yellow slip.
Thanks, very helpful! I'm sorry to see that you may be overpaying for the tire fee--mine says $6.00 reflecting 4 tires, but you seem be paying an extra $1.50 ??