Rejected My Premium ER AWD - QA Issues

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Hi all. Very sadly I had to reject delivery of my beautiful Rapid Red ER AWD Premium MME yesterday at our dealer - Ken Grody Ford, Orange County. I reserved around New Year's 2020 and converted to order in June 2020. My family was really, really excited to get her this week! We are completing a major rewiring of our house electrical panels to accommodate two new charging circuits!

Why did I reject delivery? Sadly, my Mach-E joined the club of poorly aligned/installed panoramic glass roofs. It was so lopsided and apparent from a distance. The leading edge of the panoramic roof was flush with windshield on driver's side and lifted up approx 3/8" -5/16" in the passenger side. There was no rubber seals/edging along the protruding pano roof leading edge frame.

I also noted that the driver's instrument screen buzzed loudly when parked and driving at city speeds. A liftgate gasket was damaged by tool marks. I also noticed the right-rear quarter panel was slightly misaligned next to talelight (minor).

The salesman acknowledged the pano roof issue and said maybe a glass shop could fix it but couldn't promise anything. He would sell the car 100% as-is by today. I am really sad to walk away from such an awesome EV in a beautiful color. My test drive was great! No rattles, squeaks, etc... just buzzing screen area which salesman said was normal.
20210327_143735.jpg

I was told that their business offices would be in touch with me next week about my deposit. What should I do? I really want my MME but want zero major quality issues -- at least ones that you can see and obviously Ford hasn't addressed just yet!?? Ugggggggg. What should I do? My entire family is totally disappointed and sad! Did Ford just ignore it? Ugggggg!

20210327_144715.jpg
if you don’t complete your purchase, you can order another one and return to the end of the line, or you may be able to find the build you want as a cancelled order at a different dealer. Ford is not going to give you priority in building you a replacement.

There are no guarantees, but here is my honest assessment: Ford will likely repair mis-aligned glass, especially if it is as obvious as you say. Ford might repair the buzzy screen but I wouldn’t bank on that. My car has it, too, and it seems that most cars have it. Ford could deem this “within spec” even though it is obviously very frustrating that such a premium vehicle used such a cheap component. You can only hear the buzz when no other ambient noise is present.

So, as long as the dealer will confirm in writing that they will fix the pano, and you think you can live with the screen buzz, I’d definitely complete the sale. If the dealer won’t confirm in writing that they’ll fix the pano, I’d raise holy hell with Ford and your dealer on Twitter and Facebook. Take this public. Try not to let them sell the car out from underneath you without exhausting your options first.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Hi all. I just got off the phone with our MME's *dedicated* phone assistance line! I called 833-385-0523 and spoke to absolutely no one for 15 straight minutes! :mad: There was no option to leave a callback number for a rep to call you later. I think 15 min on hold is pretty reasonable with no human pick-up. I've called other carmakers in the past and was able to reach a rep in under 5 min! One was last year in summer. It's Monday, yes... I get it.
Wait the MME has a dedicated help desk number?! This is first I’m hearing of this. I’m currently Messaging with a Ford rep through Facebook. If that doesn’t go anywhere I’ll try this number.

UPDATE: This is the number for Ford Mach E reservations. They’ve got a help desk for that, but not for after you buy the car.

Last edited:

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
Can any Ford assemblyworker effectively shut or slow the line down and stop production for any major flaws? Some automakers embrace this practice.
Only if it coincides with siesta time. ;)

JimmyL

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Accord EXLN Hybrid
Occupation
Retired / Relaxing to the max.
Country flag
if you don’t complete your purchase, you can order another one and return to the end of the line, or you may be able to find the build you want as a cancelled order at a different dealer. Ford is not going to give you priority in building you a replacement.

There are no guarantees, but here is my honest assessment: Ford will likely repair mis-aligned glass, especially if it is as obvious as you say. Ford might repair the buzzy screen but I wouldn’t bank on that. My car has it, too, and it seems that most cars have it. Ford could deem this “within spec” even though it is obviously very frustrating that such a premium vehicle used such a cheap component. You can only hear the buzz when no other ambient noise is present.

So, as long as the dealer will confirm in writing that they will fix the pano, and you think you can live with the screen buzz, I’d definitely complete the sale. If the dealer won’t confirm in writing that they’ll fix the pano, I’d raise holy hell with Ford and your dealer on Twitter and Facebook. Take this public. Try not to let them sell the car out from underneath you without exhausting your options first.
The buzzy screen effect should not be acceptable to anyone. If Ford claims it to be within specs. Let them know a class action lawsuit may be forthcoming. Force them to fix or replace the "defective" unit.

OP
OP
RedStormREHS

RedStormREHS

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry Hybrid / Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Health Inspector
Country flag
I am glad I am waiting on the GT with a steel roof. I hate these glass roofs.
Wait... I still love this vehicle! I believe in Ford... My wife and I are now practically in agreement to place a brand new reservation for a RR GT with an ALL-STEEL roof -- not even moonroof option hopefully! I don't want to move on... Just want 100% quality!

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Our family prefers the glass roof. It's not just that it's glass, but that the light coming through actually makes the car feel more airy and bigger inside. For cars with sunroofs that aren't that big, you can't see much of a difference, but this roof is pretty dramatic, especially if you're in the back seat.

OP
OP
RedStormREHS

RedStormREHS

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry Hybrid / Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Health Inspector
Country flag

Well... Sadly, it's too late! The dealer (Ken Grody) sold my special order MME without offering to work with Ford Corp. on offering solutions for these issues. To be fair, I plainly said that I didn't want the car with these QA concerns but he did not offer anything in writing whatsoever or allow time until Monday. The franchise wanted this special MME sold by Sunday regardless. I would've taken delivery if a Ford rep stated in writing that they'd commit to correcting the pano alignment and loud LED screen noise. Oh well... Looks like that won't happen!

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Simply put: I would not accept a misaligned pano roof. Doing so, you may experience water infiltration down the road. Actually, I would prefer the MME Premium without the pano roof. I'm hoping the '22 model makes it an option.
Not only that, but the fear of it breaking which never goes away. I wish I could have had my Premium without the glass roof too.

littlD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Country flag
I'm sad to see the issues some of you are having.

It's true that any manufacturer will make some imperfect cars. Completely support and understand those who reject delivery for whatever reason.

No one makes every car perfectly. Not Tesla (my choice and seemingly this forum's nemesis), Lexus, Audi, BMW, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, etc.

Find something you like and enjoy it for its positive aspects that appeal most to you. If not the Mach-E and not Tesla (I have a referral code if you want...), more EVs are coming in the next few years for you to choose from.

And if those other manufacturers hear your demand for perfect cars, maybe they'll focus more on building quality in instead of trying to inspect it in.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Not only that, but the fear of it breaking which never goes away. I wish I could have had my Premium without the glass roof too.
To each their own I suppose - I fully understand the fear of it breaking, it is a trade-off I am willing to accept for a more headroom and a more airy cabin. My first car did not have a moonroof and for a while I was paranoid about water leaks after my next car came with a moonroof. That paranoia faded away over time. Three more cars later I did have a leak and my first reaction was that it had to be the moonroof's fault, but the drains for the moonroof were not clogged. I removed the roof rails and found the leak near a bolt (to which a roof rail was fastened to) along the roof's welding joint.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
To each their own I suppose - I fully understand the fear of it breaking, it is a trade-off I am willing to accept for a more headroom and a more airy cabin. My first car did not have a moonroof and for a while I was paranoid about water leaks after my next car came with a moonroof. That paranoia faded away over time. Three more cars later I did have a leak and my first reaction was that it had to be the moonroof's fault, but the drains for the moonroof were not clogged. I removed the roof rails and found the leak near a bolt (to which a roof rail was fastened to) along the roof's welding joint.
I actually prefer the look of a black headliner with no glass at all, idk I like sitting in a cave I guess. :p Just disappointed that they don't offer it the way I want it for the US market.

crownmountain

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 2WD ER, 2022 MINI Cooper S EV
Occupation
Industrial network architect
Country flag
I'm sad to see the issues some of you are having.

It's true that any manufacturer will make some imperfect cars. Completely support and understand those who reject delivery for whatever reason.

No one makes every car perfectly. Not Tesla (my choice and seemingly this forum's nemesis), Lexus, Audi, BMW, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, etc.

Find something you like and enjoy it for its positive aspects that appeal most to you. If not the Mach-E and not Tesla (I have a referral code if you want...), more EVs are coming in the next few years for you to choose from.

And if those other manufacturers hear your demand for perfect cars, maybe they'll focus more on building quality in instead of trying to inspect it in.
It is true all cars are broken in some way for the entire time you own them.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Just saw a Select RWD on the dealers lot this morning. I checked it thoroughly for panel gaps and it was impeccable. Maybe OP got a Monday car?

JimmyL

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Accord EXLN Hybrid
Occupation
Retired / Relaxing to the max.
Country flag
Well... Sadly, it's too late! The dealer (Ken Grody) sold my special order MME without offering to work with Ford Corp. on offering solutions for these issues. To be fair, I plainly said that I didn't want the car with these QA concerns but he did not offer anything in writing whatsoever or allow time until Monday. The franchise wanted this special MME sold by Sunday regardless. I would've taken delivery if a Ford rep stated in writing that they'd commit to correcting the pano alignment and loud LED screen noise. Oh well... Looks like that won't happen!
Simply put: . . count your blessing. We might find that the pano roof may be a design flaw and unfixable. Sure there are others out there claiming no problem found and those who inserted tubing to seal out noise from the pano. Lots of EVs coming to market in the next 24 months. Maybe Ford will resolve all the MME issues sooner than later.
Sponsored