Remote Start vs. Preconditioning

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
@generaltso and @Av8tor appear to disagree on this point. @Ford Motor Company Can you please clarify.
Range estimate in the vehicles is actively learning and predicting range based on driving habits, set destinations and ambient temps. One way to reset this range is to delete driving history, usually done, before delivery. This will reset the range forecast to the optimal (best) prediction, but over the next few days it will take into account the driving pattern, ambient temps and the use of pre-conditioning, etc to forecast a more realistic range for the user.

Here is some info that will help the Dealer:
To help maximize range in winter, follow these pro tips:

• Park in a garage wherever possible.
  • Keep your Mach-E plugged in when parked. We recommend plugging it in whenever possible.
  • Use FordPass app or SYNC 4A touchscreen to precondition your vehicle using departure times to warm the cabin and the battery while plugged in. Note: Using remote start from the app or key fob (while plugged in) only preconditions the cabin; setting departure times preconditions both cabin and battery.
  • Use heated seats and steering wheel as primary heat sources to reduce energy consumed by HVAC system.
  • When charging, turn off the heater (especially when using DC Fast Chargers).
  • If snow covered, brush all the snow off your vehicle before driving to eliminate extra weight and drag.
  • Keep driving speeds moderate, as high speeds use more energy. Ensure your tires are at the proper pressure.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...eving-the-most-accurate-range-estimates.5352/

jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, XC60, RR Prem Ex4 (rcvd 11/21)
Country flag
Coming to the Mach-e from an i3, the behavior is the same between the 2 vehicles/software. The only way to get the battery "warmed up" in an i3 is to set a departure time, same as with the Mach-e. Remote Start (BMW calls it pre-conditioning) simply warms to cabin.

I think the main driver for this separation of behavior is that it takes substantially more energy and time to warm up the mass of the battery pack than it takes to warm the cabin (mostly air). The real benefit of warming the battery prior to use is that it works more efficiently when warm (more range). Ironically, the battery itself can provide much more power to warm itself up than can be supplied by a wall outlet (even at 240v/40 amp), but using the battery reduces range. So battery pre-conditioning is restricted to when the car is plugged in.

What I always wanted with the i3 (Ford is the same) is the ability to tell the car "Hey, I'm leaving in 15 minutes, warm up what you can". Even if its not all the way warmed up, 15 minutes of warming is better than nothing. But neither the i3 nor the Mach-e supports that. I don't understand why not.

OP
OP
MachTri

MachTri

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang mach-e AWD
Country flag
Range estimate in the vehicles is actively learning and predicting range based on driving habits, set destinations and ambient temps. One way to reset this range is to delete driving history, usually done, before delivery. This will reset the range forecast to the optimal (best) prediction, but over the next few days it will take into account the driving pattern, ambient temps and the use of pre-conditioning, etc to forecast a more realistic range for the user.

Here is some info that will help the Dealer:
To help maximize range in winter, follow these pro tips:

• Park in a garage wherever possible.
  • Keep your Mach-E plugged in when parked. We recommend plugging it in whenever possible.
  • Use FordPass app or SYNC 4A touchscreen to precondition your vehicle using departure times to warm the cabin and the battery while plugged in. Note: Using remote start from the app or key fob (while plugged in) only preconditions the cabin; setting departure times preconditions both cabin and battery.
  • Use heated seats and steering wheel as primary heat sources to reduce energy consumed by HVAC system.
  • When charging, turn off the heater (especially when using DC Fast Chargers).
  • If snow covered, brush all the snow off your vehicle before driving to eliminate extra weight and drag.
  • Keep driving speeds moderate, as high speeds use more energy. Ensure your tires are at the proper pressure.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...eving-the-most-accurate-range-estimates.5352/
Thanks! Though there appears to be some doubt regarding the source in that thread.

I found this analysis in a related thread and asked for more details so I could tell how long it draws power while in PRE-Condition vs. Remote start.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/remote-start-vs-departure-time.10879/post-275078

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I found this analysis in a related thread and asked for more details so I could tell how long it draws power while in PRE-Condition vs. Remote start.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/remote-start-vs-departure-time.10879/post-275078
Yeah, you'd really need to see the power draw for a longer period to be able to compare. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a remote start draw more power than a scheduled departure initially since the car knows it only has 15 minutes to heat the cabin.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
Here's my remote start question.

Do I have to turn my headlights from Auto to OFF if I want to remote start without the damn headlights shining down the street?

I saw before that I need to set the defroster/defogger on and heat full so it 'uses the last settings'

I looked in FordPass and don't see options like my last two electrics (Winter/Summer/custom) so I could choose heat vs cool at startup. (departure times are not gonna work, always changing)

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
Odd question... how cold does it have to be to consider preconditioning? We park our Mach-E in the garage... it's not heated or cooled and the weather here on the California Central Coast is not that cold. Cold mornings for us would be in the 30° range (rare).

Plus my wife works a little over a mile from our home. So does preconditioning even matter?

What about heading out on a long trip early on a cold morning? Would preconditioning be a good idea?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do I have to turn my headlights from Auto to OFF if I want to remote start without the damn headlights shining down the street?
No. Just the parking lights come on during a remote start, not the headlights.

I saw before that I need to set the defroster/defogger on and heat full so it 'uses the last settings'

I looked in FordPass and don't see options like my last two electrics (Winter/Summer/custom) so I could choose heat vs cool at startup.
Why not just change the setting to Auto instead of "use last settings"? That will do exactly what you're asking.

dano

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME
Occupation
Communications Engineer
Country flag
Slightly off topic...

Has anyone else noticed the car charging outside of the scheduled charging time if you have departures scheduled mid-day? Example:

My car is scheduled to charge between 11pm and 7am (weekdays) and anytime on weekends.
I added departure timers for some afternoon trips I do and noticed the car charging during the day.
When I removed the afternoon departures, the day charging stopped.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
No. Just the parking lights come on during a remote start, not the headlights.

Why not just change the setting to Auto instead of "use last settings"? That will do exactly what you're asking.

I'll have to check the settings on the Mach E, I was looking in FordPass for Auto/Last Used...

And the parking lights are as bright as the sun at 0:dark-thirty...

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I'll have to check the settings on the Mach E, I was looking in FordPass for Auto/Last Used...

And the parking lights are as bright as the sun at 0:dark-thirty...
The auto you’re looking for is on the settings in the car. Not on FordPass. Auto work very well the defrost and warm the cabin when you remote start. Almost too well if you also have heated seats. My Ham’s are cooked almost as soon as I sit down.

HowdyDoody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
From my understanding, no
so the only way to "precondition" the battery - which is apparently good for the car - is to set up a start time in advance?? What are people who don't travel places on set schedules supposed to do in winter? This topic baffles me

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
so the only way to "precondition" the battery - which is apparently good for the car - is to set up a start time in advance?? What are people who don't travel places on set schedules supposed to do in winter? This topic baffles me
Set a departure time that's 30 minutes from now and then leave in 30 minutes. Otherwise not much you can do since keeping the battery warmed up all day would waste electricity. If you have to leave with short notice, using remote start is better than nothing, the car will still work fine.

Long term, a heated garage is the best solution if you want the most possible range in the winter.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If departure times don’t work for your schedule, then don’t worry about it. The car will still work fine.

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
About 50% of the time, when I press remote start, the app does the indeterminate progress graphic around the start button for about 15 seconds, then it turns red and says "Remote Start Failed".
I've considered just setting departure time around 6:00 am as that's the earliest I would leave for work, but sometimes I don't leave until 8:00 am. I'd think the battery would just get cold by then again and the the attempt would be a waste of electricity.
do it 3 times.... mine does the same, it locks/honks the first time. sometimes it does the second time, but it always works the 3rd.
Sponsored