mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Has anyone tried removing the foam from the space under the trunk deck? It seems a bit useless and removing it could give some more room to put stuff in. I'm not 100% sure what's underneath.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Remove the foam under the trunk deck? 679C5C85-E331-42ED-A024-715B7E6C3ADE
Sponsored

Last edited:

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E 4X, '17 Outback, '10 Jetta, '01 Beetle
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Has anyone tried removing the foam from the space under the trunk deck? It seems a bit useless and removing it could give some more room to put stuff in. I'm not 100% sure what's underneath.

View attachment 31972

679C5C85-E331-42ED-A024-715B7E6C3ADE.jpeg
Those plastic buttons have slots in the tops and they unscrew. There may be a third one under the inflator.

I think I looked under there. I wasn't really moved to removed the Styrofoam at this point.

I'm considering shaving off the spikes on the bottom of the cargo area protecter in the vicinity of the cargo deck handle.

They're a bit of a pain in the hand when you lift the protector to get at the handle.

Last edited:

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Remove the foam under the trunk deck? 679C5C85-E331-42ED-A024-715B7E6C3ADE
I removed it and put a lot of extra stuff under there.

IMG_4448.jpeg

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

OP
OP

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Great, thanks for the info! I'll do that and test it out :)

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There are two studs that stick up from the floor pan that those plastic screws attache to. They might be in your way if you are expecting to put something completely flat down there.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I’m speculating, but I believe the foam acts to hold the inflator and charger in place, and as a sound damper to reduce what would otherwise be reverberations in a cavity adjacent to the passenger compartment.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I’m speculating, but I believe the foam acts to hold the inflator and charger in place, and as a sound damper to reduce what would otherwise be reverberations in a cavity adjacent to the passenger compartment.
Mark's subwoofer project takes sound dampening into account. This was my take on his instructions - (all eventually covered by foam).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Remove the foam under the trunk deck? IMG-1581

OP
OP

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I had two plastic nuts to unscrew. It was really easy to remove and you get much more room. The bolts are mounted to the floor and they're a little sharp, but I can wrap them in duct tape or put some more durable items in that space.

I don't even know why they bothered putting that there. It looks like a default for an inflator and a spare tire kit.

NY E Pony

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
President/ CEO
Country flag
I had two plastic nuts to unscrew. It was really easy to remove and you get much more room. The bolts are mounted to the floor and they're a little sharp, but I can wrap them in duct tape or put some more durable items in that space.

I don't even know why they bothered putting that there. It looks like a default for an inflator and a spare tire kit.
Do you think a spare tire (donut) will fit with foam removed?