dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
When I bought my Tesla in 2018 the Model 3 was still relatively new. I knew a lot of people who were renting theirs on Turo for a huge premium. I briefly considered it but I didn't really need the money and didn't want the hassle.

Right now, it looks like you can rent for $135 - $150/day (about $100-$112 after Turo overhead for their platform and insurance), which would give a very nice return on the cost of the car for as long as the demand lasts. Even after the initial fascination ebbs a bit, a Mach E should still rent for upwards of $100/day.

Obviously most people here are enthusiasts and would never consider it, but it would offer a nice option for someone who could use some extra income, wants a special family vacation fund, or for who it would be a stretch to afford it otherwise.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
There's also this stunt - the Tesla was rented earlier in the day. Probably Turo.
Was just going to link that video. Yes, it was from Turo

People treat rental cars like complete shit. There's no way I'm handing my key over to anyone outside of my family

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Was just going to link that video. Yes, it was from Turo

People treat rental cars like complete shit. There's no way I'm handing my key over to anyone outside of my family
Bwahaha! I’m not handing my key over to anyone. I’m the only one lifting his leg on my car. 😊🤪🐩

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
How does insurance work here? If I use my car for DoorDash or Uber (or Turo, I think) and it gets into an accident, my insurance company won’t pay out for my damage OR the other driver’s. This feels like a huge risk; does Turo agree to cover insurance for all parties?
If you're using your car for work, you need to make sure your insurance policy covers this. Most standard policies, if not all nowadays with how prevalent rideshare work is, have an exclusion. This is why they always ask when making a claim if you were working. If you're fully employed by someone to use your car for work, and not 1099, then they should have you on their commercial auto policy. Turo covers your car, for you, if the driver crashes it, but the driver is supposed to have their own policy or can elect to buy "advanced" coverage under Turo.

amtrucker22

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Just came back from vacation in which I rented out a Range Rover Envogue. The wife has talked about them in the past and I figured this would be a good way to try before we buy. She wasn't impressed with it.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Rented out your MME on Turo? Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 5.40.11 AM

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
When I had an extra vehicle that wasn't being driven (Land Rover Discovery Sport) due to the multitude of service visits and over a year of driving Jag and Range Rover loaners, I used HyreCar to find an Uber driver to rent to.

HyreCar only rents cars out to Uber drivers who actually will use the vehicle for money making food deliveries and/or ride shares.

They had a great reputation for screening out potential Uber drivers (must have had no accidents, must drive for a living, etc). Commercial insurance coverage for $1 Million was a good sign.

For the month it was driven, I got $150/day and the Uber driver took very good care.

With the remote tracking, I was able to see where he drove, and never off road...
https://www.hyrecar.com/

OP
OP

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
When I had an extra vehicle that wasn't being driven (Land Rover Discovery Sport) due to the multitude of service visits and over a year of driving Jag and Range Rover loaners, I used HyreCar to find an Uber driver to rent to.

HyreCar only rents cars out to Uber drivers who actually will use the vehicle for money making food deliveries and/or ride shares.

They had a great reputation for screening out potential Uber drivers (must have had no accidents, must drive for a living, etc). Commercial insurance coverage for $1 Million was a good sign.

For the month it was driven, I got $150/day and the Uber driver took very good care.

With the remote tracking, I was able to see where he drove, and never off road...
thanks great tip!

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag

You made over $4k in a month renting your car?

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Y
You made over $4k in a month renting your car?
Yes, but it was taxable income on a W9.

At the time, the Land Rover Discovery was a first year model and rented about the same as a Tesla.

While the vehicle was perfect off roading - as a stock 4WD - it made the Jeeps & Toyota Land Cruiser owners envious...

But had a miserable service experience when it was not running. Many of the parts needed to sent from the UK which made service loan me a Jag or RR for the week or month.
Sponsored

Reactions: SWO