Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Given that the upside for dealers who do it is that they now have you locked in with them (unless you want to go to the back of the line) and the downside seems to be a strongly worded letter from Ford, it seems clear which avenue sleazy dealers will take.

This is reminiscent of the scene in "Aliens" when the lieutenant tells them all not to use their weapons, and the one guy (who gets killed 30 seconds later) says "what are we supposed to use, harsh language?" Apparently that is the worst that a dealer can expect.
The good news is Ford has more than harsh language they can issue. "Oh but the way, remember that Bronco First Edition you thought you had coming?" Unfortunately Ford doesn't seem to use that stick often enough.
Sponsored

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
I was going to submit my order between October and December to ensure I get in on the second build as I need the cat end of March 2021 and could do without longer if second production takes longer. Guess I better start checking dealers and make the final decision on color which will probably be White and maybe some aftermarket colored graphics. May swap my all wheel drive out for 2 wheel drive and long range battery. Got to research what I can expect from rear wheel drive on those 3 or 4 snowy icy days per year here in Portland Oregon. Haven't had any rear wheel drive experience sine 1992.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
May swap my all wheel drive out for 2 wheel drive and long range battery. Got to research what I can expect from rear wheel drive on those 3 or 4 snowy icy days per year here in Portland Oregon. Haven't had any rear wheel drive experience sine 1992.
Some of the videos I've watched on the subject say that in a BEV, RWD is pretty good for traction because unlike an ICE vehicle where the engine is nearly always in the front, the drivetrain (motor + differential) is located over the drive axle. That means in addition to the battery weighing down the entire center frame, you have an extra 500-ish lbs sitting over the rear axle (on a RWD). Plus the Mach-e ER battery places the extra "hump" weight in the back too.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
May swap my all wheel drive out for 2 wheel drive and long range battery. Got to research what I can expect from rear wheel drive on those 3 or 4 snowy icy days per year here in Portland Oregon. Haven't had any rear wheel drive experience sine 1992.
Do you like how the Bolt drives in the snow? The Mach-E will be very similar--at least as far as traction control: EV traction control is much better than ICE simply because the system has finer control over the motor.

I'm getting a California Route 1 (ER, RWD only) even though I'm in snowy Michigan for this reason.

FredA

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 C8 Corvette (April 2020) 2017 Subaru Outback, 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV, Deposit on Premium Mach-e
Occupation
Retired Police Lieutenant
Country flag
Same thing happened to me. I had my $500 reservation deposit refunded so I contacted Ford Marketing and I was told that the reservation had been converted to an order on 7/14/2020. I had talked to the dealership but only to find out if the were going add an ADM to the MSRP. I told them that I was going to wait to convert to make sure that the car did not get delivered in 2020 for tax purposes. My Ford account lists the order as "In Store", yet the dealership claims that they did not place an order. In any case, I have put no money down so we will wait to see what happens with my order.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Same thing happened to me. I had my $500 reservation deposit refunded so I contacted Ford Marketing and I was told that the reservation had been converted to an order on 7/14/2020. I had talked to the dealership but only to find out if the were going add an ADM to the MSRP. I told them that I was going to wait to convert to make sure that the car did not get delivered in 2020 for tax purposes. My Ford account lists the order as "In Store", yet the dealership claims that they did not place an order. In any case, I have put no money down so we will wait to see what happens with my order.
Yep, exactly my situation. That likely means they hit the button to move it from reservation status into an open order (perhaps unwittingly). But they probably haven't hit "SUBMIT" yet, which is when the order is actually placed. Not sure if it can just stay in that open status for months or not, but unless you cancel and start totally over (losing your place in line), it may now be locked into that dealer. Although if you really need it moved out of that dealer, it's worth pressing Ford. Either way, moving it back to reservation status isn't possible (at least that's what I was told).

Best approach now is probably to work it out with your dealership, escalating to the general manager if necessary.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I have to wonder if dealers have heard about customers switching dealers and are taking this action to prevent anyone bailing. Remember, it’s with an extra $500 is the customer stays with their original dealer.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
My $500 has been refunded. Is my reservation gone?!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
In store order. But I don’t have a new charge to a dealer.
Sounds like the same thing happened to you as some of us... Your designated dealer hijacked your reservation without your approval. Meaning they advanced it from reservation status to an open order. You'll need to contact your dealership. They now control your reservation/order. It's probably an open order right now, meaning they probably haven't actually hit "Submit" yet to officially submit the order. The dealer will likely want a deposit paid directly to them for that.

Read the rest of this thread to see my experience plus a few others'.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
Sounds like the same thing happened to you as some of us... Your designated dealer hijacked your reservation without your approval. Meaning they advanced it from reservation status to an open order. You'll need to contact your dealership. They now control your reservation/order. It's probably an open order right now, meaning they probably haven't actually hit "Submit" yet to officially submit the order. The dealer will likely want a deposit paid directly to them for that.

Read the rest of this thread to see my experience plus a few others'.
$500? Or some other amount?

they better honor my x-plan.

OP
OP
dbsb3233

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Both are up to the dealer. Most want a $500 dealer deposit, but they can set it at any amount they want.

Similarly, most honor X-plan, but not all. If they try to tell you Ford doesn't honor X-plan on they Mach-e, they're wrong. Refer them to the Ford bulletin code from earlier in this thread if that happens.

I think most dealers are doing this unintentionally, as it's new and confusing for all. Give them a chance to get it straightened out. Mine eventually did.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag

The dealers set the deposit amount, but most are asking for $500. As far as honoring x-plan, as far as I know it's an all or nothing for the dealer, either the accept it or don't. So you could just generally call the dealer and ask if they honor x-plan. I know some people prefer to get a definite response if they will accept x-plan for this vehicle but I do not believe that is necessary.
Sponsored