J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Just bought a Mach-E for my wife. We should be receiving it in a few days as we are squaring away insurance, etc. I asked her if she was prepared for 2 types of comments/actions for passers by. 1. Expect to get some looks. She is used to driving my Jag and getting looks, so not too worried about that. 2. The other would be people saying "that's not a Mustang". I may start/search a thread for clever responses but mine was. "Sure it is, the pony on it says so". Her response was "Yes it is, its an electric one".

First Mustang was labelled a secretary special, then Shelby got his hands on it. Can only imagine what a few years will bring. The Mach-E 1400 is certainly a "Mustang", don't you think?
Sponsored

Grux40

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium RWD Ext. Range - Infinite Blue
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
The only thing I have encountered is while rolling into a concert the local sheriff directing traffic shouted into my rolled down window "that's not a Mustang", and I politely smiled and said "it sure is a Mustang, Sir" and kept rolling. I could see him laughing as I continued on.

Other than that a lot of pointing, gawking, and picture taking. Over all pretty good. I've talked to more random strangers in the last 6 months than maybe my entire life.

OP
OP

WhattheChuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4x, 2021 Ranger
Country flag
Other than that a lot of pointing, gawking, and picture taking. Over all pretty good. I've talked to more random strangers in the last 6 months than maybe my entire life.
Yeah, there has been a good number of people who ask my wife about it, so the reception has been mostly good.
I appreciate everyone's responses. I agree that it is mostly just people being more rude and worse drivers in general. Hopefully people will begin to ease up at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Let those #nOtAmUsTaNg and PhonyPony guys see your tail lights. ?

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I've noticed way more people pulling up to me at the light and just FLORING it when it turns green lol I had a 2017 F150 that would prob beat most of these people off the line if I tired, truck was pretty dang fast.

Now I just slowly go off the line and let them have the feeling of having a big p-p before real life kicks back in again. Not saying I never floor it, but its very seldom, mostly just when someone new is in the car and they are asking how fast it is.

IMDIDOC

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 1970 Z-28 RS Original Owner
Occupation
Optometrist
Country flag
I've noticed more tailgating, or is it the slope of the rear window? I often think they just want me to take off to see what it will do. Sometimes I do!

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I have seen much more aggressive driving since covid lockdowns. People got used to being the only car on the road.

I think you are giving too many people credit if you think they are angry because you are driving an EV. My car gets a lot of attention and most people don't have any idea what it is. I even talked to a guy with a newer mustang GT the other day who did not know anything about the Mach E. He thought it was a great-looking car, when I told him it was electric he said what?? Ford makes an electric car??

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have seen much more aggressive driving since covid lockdowns. People got used to being the only car on the road.

I think you are giving too many people credit if you think they are angry because you are driving an EV. My car gets a lot of attention and most people don't have any idea what it is. I even talked to a guy with a newer mustang GT the other day who did not know anything about the Mach E. He thought it was a great-looking car, when I told him it was electric he said what?? Ford makes an electric car??
We definately have an EV education problem here in the states. As I mention to friends and others our latest desire to own and now purchase of an EV, it amazes me how much people do not know about the technology, dealers included. The funky financing and rebate is also an area that there are a lot of unknowns. This remains a problem with EV adoption. Good news is that there will be more MME's on teh road catching peoples eye, and hopefully attention to learn a bit more. I think the F-150 Lightning will be the vehicle that turns the tide, however.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
When I first got my EV I was pestered non-stop by those "Fast & Furious" gnats. Finally one was trying to drive up my ass (slow lane) so I just mashed it -- scared the crap out of me! I have a 3P and it was not in chill mode. He became a dot in the past.

PaulA

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MINI Convertible
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting on one of these so bare with me.
Has anyone noticed an increase in what seems like aggressive driving and/or road rage directed at you when you're driving your Mach-E?
We live in the Midwest and my wife drives all over town with it. It seems like she has noticed an uptick in incidents with lifted trucks that won't let her onto the expressway or get really close behind her, and generally drive very aggressively. Today she said one truck wouldn't let her on the expressway and another one nearly side swiped her.
I told her to keep the non-emergency police line on speed dial and call in the plate when she sees something, but we're not sure if they are just terrible drivers or if they're being a-holes because she's driving an electric car.
We haven’t noticed any incidents of road rage, although some kid in a Dodge product wanted to race. Im not sure why he wanted to be humiliated by a couple of aging Boomers in an SUV. We ignored him.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now that you mention it, I have noticed a bit of aggression from other drivers in what I would consider muscle or sports cars. I will also add that in a side-by-side situation, I tend to show what the MME can do. I think some are in disbelief, I own a 420HP supercharged Jaguar XKR and the MME (officially, my wife's daily driver) can beat it from 0-60. Tough pill to swallow, but that is whet the EV technology brings. Real performance minded drivers would be curious vs. in denial.

The "that's not a Mustang" phrase seems to be more common. Funny story as I was exiting the MME at a local hardware store and some younger kids pulled up in a fox body Mustang that had some mods and parked a few spaces over. I immediately said "that's not a Mustang" and got a little chuckle. I followed up with "Nice car, I like what you have done to it.

Food for thought: Back in the days people used to harp on the six cylinder Mustangs. I always owned the GT's with V8's. I never harped on the owners of the 6 cylinder Mustangs as I realized that they were the bread and butter of the model, and without them, Ford would likely had to discontinue. Remember what happened to the Camaro (for a spell). So, supporting other Mustang drivers is always a good thing. Perhaps the same philosophy can be applied to the MME.
Embrace the new technology, don't fight it.
Sponsored