Service Vehicle Soon (SVS) - Potential HVBJB Issue?

Vish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE
Country flag
I received Service Vehicle Soon notification in the instrument cluster on my 2021 GTPE. I updated the car with recall update two weeks ago.

i was at the red light, and changed the drive mode to Unbridled Extended. The SVS popped up as soon as I changed the drive mode. Battery SOC was 53% (Odometer - 4,900 miles), power meter was only showing two grey bars. I drove the car normally and backed up in a parking spot. The FordPass app also through power malfunction/reduced power code.

I was closer to the dealership, so I turned off the car (probably not the best move). I started the car back and the wrench went away. I turned off the car for couple of hours and plugged in the OBD scanner. The scanner didn't show any codes. The FordPass app alert also went away after force closing and refreshing the app.

I am not sure if it was a software bug which was initiated by changing the drive modes. Any insight will be helpful, thanks.

P.S. Although, this is my first post, I read this forum pretty much every day. I appreciate this community and all the people who help other members.
Sponsored

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I received Service Vehicle Soon notification in the instrument cluster on my 2021 GTPE. I updated the car with recall update two weeks ago.

i was at the red light, and changed the drive mode to Unbridled Extended. The SVS popped up as soon as I changed the drive mode. Battery SOC was 53% (Odometer - 4,900 miles), power meter was only showing two grey bars. I drove the car normally and backed up in a parking spot. The FordPass app also through power malfunction/reduced power code.

I was closer to the dealership, so I turned off the car (probably not the best move). I started the car back and the wrench went away. I turned off the car for couple of hours and plugged in the OBD scanner. The scanner didn't show any codes. The FordPass app alert also went away after force closing and refreshing the app.

I am not sure if it was a software bug which was initiated by changing the drive modes. Any insight will be helpful, thanks.

P.S. Although, this is my first post, I read this forum pretty much every day. I appreciate this community and all the people who help other members.
A friend had something similar happen to him/his wife (pre-HVBJB recall). Wasn't the HVBJB. The dealership updated some modules and the problem hasn't come back. So this might not be an HVBJB issue. Best to have it checked at the dealership though. Good luck!

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
The fact that the SVS message went away tells me it is probably not the HVBJB. Now the real question is what was it? If there are no codes it will be next to impossible for the dealer to tell you much.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
At that SoC, Unbridled Extended shouldn’t have even been an actionable button. I think it was a bug that let you flip it on and then the car freaked out and started saying “turn it off, turn it off!”

Were the 2 gray bars after the SVS message or before? If after, then I’m even more confident it isn’t the HVBJB as that slaps you with a bunch of bars.

if no codes were thrown, small chance the dealer does much of anything. You might get lucky and have them update a few modules, if youhave some that are needed.

OP
OP

Vish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE
Country flag
At that SoC, Unbridled Extended shouldn’t have even been an actionable button. I think it was a bug that let you flip it on and then the car freaked out and started saying “turn it off, turn it off!”

Were the 2 gray bars after the SVS message or before? If after, then I’m even more confident it isn’t the HVBJB as that slaps you with a bunch of bars.

if no codes were thrown, small chance the dealer does much of anything. You might get lucky and have them update a few modules, if youhave some that are needed.
Yes, I was surprised by the activation of Unbridled Extended at that SoC. I didn't pay attention how many grey bars were there before SVS message. After SVS message, I only had two grey bars in the power meter. Hopefully, it was a software bug.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

That's a bug when switching into Unbridled Extended, I think they're working on it. If your HVBJB was bad you'd see a lot more gray bars. Restarting the car should clear it as you found.

Cyrus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag
Feel it appropriate to jump in here. Just like the OP I read the forum almost daily but this will be my first post. A little bit about my car… 22 GTPE. 3000km. HVBJB replaced at 1700km(record time?). Wish I could share some nightmare stories about that process but it was seamless. At the dealership for less than 3 days. No issues with the car whatsoever until (coincidentally?) this past Thursday. No codes thrown but after switching to unbridled with a SOC of 50% and between that 50% and 30% SOC power was reduced by 30%. Plugged car in that night and all bars but two are gone BUT, those two bars remain. Hopped in the forum today and saw this post after my search query and thought something seems fishy. Hoping to solicit a response and some insight from @DevSecOps as that dudes previous work on this forum deserves a freaking pay check.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Hoping to solicit a response and some insight from @DevSecOps as that dudes previous work on this forum deserves a freaking pay check.
I'm here and I accept USD or CAD, or for that matter anything 👋 🤣

Thanks for the kind words. If you send me your VIN in a DM I'll see what I can see.

However if you switched to unbridled extend then it's just a bug with the recall software that triggers the DTC. It's not an actual failure of the HVBJB. So if that's what you did you can safely ignore and go about your normal driving.

Last edited:

Cyrus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag
I will most certainly take you up on yet another generous offer to help one of us out with diagnostics and get that VIN to you before end of day.

Switch was to regular unbridled. As far as DTC there was no code ever thrown. Not entirely sure when the power was reduced by 30% but as mentioned it was somewhere between 50-30% SOC. I haven’t noticed an appreciable difference in performance but the “2 bar”power reduction at least visually remains.
Sponsored