Tiff

First Name
Tiffany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
Charging on a 350kw electrify america and the highest ilthe cars been able to pull a charge is at is 50kw starting at 46% battery. Other EV's are charging at 180 and going to 120 kw before hitting 100% charge. Using same 350kw charge electrify america.
I have 2021 select standard battery. Anyone else having issues getting over 50kw charge when using 350kw. It takes me over an hour and a half to charge to full battery. While others are charging in 20 or so min. What's happening?
Sponsored

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

Depending on what the other cars were, they may have been capable of charging faster than the Mach-E by design. The MME Select has a maximum charge rate of 110kw, and that will vary depending on the battery level, charger factors, etc.

I too drive a Select and used 2 EA chargers recently - on one I was getting 50kw, and on the second one I had over 100kw.

You may want to check out this thread that does a good job at discussing the variable charge curve that EVs (and specifically the Mach-E) has:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-fast-charging-rate.25126/

I hope this information is useful, or at least lets you know that there's not anything necessarily wrong with your car.

OP
OP

Tiff

First Name
Tiffany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

Depending on what the other cars were, they may have been capable of charging faster than the Mach-E by design. The MME Select has a maximum charge rate of 110kw, and that will vary depending on the battery level, charger factors, etc.

I too drive a Select and used 2 EA chargers recently - on one I was getting 50kw, and on the second one I had over 100kw.

You may want to check out this thread that does a good job at discussing the variable charge curve that EVs (and specifically the Mach-E) has:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-fast-charging-rate.25126/

I hope this information is useful, or at least lets you know that there's not anything necessarily wrong with your car.
Thank you. This has been helpful and useful information

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
You're very welcome!

And let me tell you preemptively that your dashboard will tell you that you'll get lower mileage range estimates in the Winter. There are plenty of threads on that subject and it's a common question by new EV users.

Last edited:

Runningslow

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Job 2 MME Premium 4X Carbonized Grey
Country flag
Also download the PlugShare app. Users will post comments and updates when a charger is malfunctioning or down. I use it anytime I’m planning a trip that requires charging.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Due to the battery configuration, the standard battery is incapable of higher peaks than about 120KW and it steady-state charges around 90KW, so it's not advantageous to use a 350KW DCFC. Even the extended range battery only peaks at about 164KW and its steady-state charging is around 130-140KW so 350KW chargers are for the most part wasted on ours too. 🤔🐩

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It is also quite possible that the EA charger you were using was de-rated to around 50kW. That happens as well.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
EA SUCKS!!! When we got our two MME first editions in 2021 EA was AWESOME. Now they give away FREE energy to EVERY manufacturer. As such they will charge to 100% at 7 KW just because it is free. When all of the WORKING chargers which may be few are being used the charge rate decreases.
This is THE why I avoid EA. My wife and I charge often as together we drive 6000 Miles per MONTH. Most of our charging is at home but we also have to charge on the road. EVGO is THE best. They do NOT give away FREE energy. As such people only charge normally to 80%. They are also on top of their maintenance which EA never is. At EVGO on a 100KW charger I get 72 KW up to around 80%. After that it drops to 34%. At a 350 KW I get 120.-140.

in short EA is total CRAP

Pedro Diaz

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E 4X California Route-1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I would like to understand this too! But I've been lucky to hit over 150 kW at 350 kW stations on multiple occasions on my '22 MME CR-1. What I don't get is why it slows down below 50 kW after 80%. I would understand it needs to balance out at 95% to give it time to cool off. But 45 min from 20-80% and 1 hr from 80-100% it's nuts.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Due to the battery configuration, the standard battery is incapable of higher peaks than about 120KW and it steady-state charges around 90KW, so it's not advantageous to use a 350KW DCFC. Even the extended range battery only peaks at about 164KW and its steady-state charging is around 130-140KW so 350KW chargers are for the most part wasted on ours too. 🤔🐩
In its prime, my car would start out at 160+ before settling in between 100 and 125 on the EA 350s. No longer, probably due to some combination of software updates and ailing EA equipment.

I would like to understand this too! But I've been lucky to hit over 150 kW at 350 kW stations on multiple occasions on my '22 MME CR-1. What I don't get is why it slows down below 50 kW after 80%. I would understand it needs to balance out at 95% to give it time to cool off. But 45 min from 20-80% and 1 hr from 80-100% it's nuts.
The slowdown above 80% is well-documented. It’s to prevent battery damage. All non-LFP cars do this to some degree. 80 to 90 shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes. Above 90, forget it. If you think it’s bad now, you should have been around in 2021 when it dropped to 12 KW at 80%. 😄

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
The charger was punishing you for using a faster charger than your car can accept.
I’m assuming there were no 150kw chargers available.

Phil-Springs

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA RT1 AWD Extended DMG 2022
Country flag
Certainly would be nice if the center screen had some display with all this data, so one could figure out if moving to a different charger is warranted

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
There is. This is my first EV I'm learning as I go. I'm understanding more about this since my post.
We have all been there. This forum is a goldmine of information.
Sometimes we/I are sarcastic but we usually have go info and discussions.
Sponsored