circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
At home I have a NEWA 14 - 50 connection installed. This was done earlier this week.

I wanted to test and experience how to use those public chargers. Tested an Electrify America charger near my house. For 17 minutes I got about 12.96 kWh for free, from the 250 kWh Ford offers.

Well, the process seemed okay.

However, to disconnect the charger from the car, I had to press the disengage button a few times. I initially pressed the stop button on the unit, then pressed the disengage button on the car. Alas, I wasn’t allowed to remove the charger. Tried a few more times and then I was able to do so.

Next weekend I may test the Electrify America charger again…
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The correct way is to press the unlock button on the charge port, wait several seconds until the ring lights turn white, and then press the latch and remove the plug.

New people try to unlatch the plug first which is the wrong way. You’re not supposed to touch the plug latch till you get the white lights indicating it’s unlocked.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
The correct way is to press the unlock button on the charge port, wait several seconds until the ring lights turn white, and then press the latch and remove the plug.

New people try to unlatch the plug first which is the wrong way. You’re not supposed to touch the plug latch till you get the white lights indicating it’s unlocked.
Agreed,
1. Press Stop on EA screen
2. Press unlock button and wait for charge to go from blue->white
3. press trigger and unlock charger from port

OP
OP
circatee

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
Thanks @Mach-Lee and @ThatGuyLando much appreciated. I knew about pressing the button, wasn't aware of the waiting period and seeing the change in the colour of the lights...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Agreed,
1. Press Stop on EA screen
2. Press unlock button and wait for charge to go from blue->white
3. press trigger and unlock charger from port
Step 1 is unnecessary. Pressing the unlock button on the charge port stops the EA charge session.
I stopped the session on an EA charger once and the car showed a “Charge fault” error on the IP.

OP
OP
circatee

circatee

First Name
circatee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Ford
Country flag
Step 1 is unnecessary. Pressing the unlock button on the charge port stops the EA charge session.
I stopped the session on an EA charger once and the car showed a “Charge fault” error on the IP.
Hmm, that's interesting that the 'stop charging' is not compulsory.
On my next trip to Electrify America, I will only use the unlock button on the car, and see what happens...

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My experience with 3 different EVs is to stop the charge from the car, rather than the charge station. Less likely to see faults. Plus you do have to wait for the car to release the latch, that is not controlled by the station.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
Hmm, that's interesting that the 'stop charging' is not compulsory.
On my next trip to Electrify America, I will only use the unlock button on the car, and see what happens...
the main key is that you shouldn't physically disconnect until the car has indicated charging has stopped charging - on our MMEs that's the white light on the ring. other cars have different indicators/colors.

the "stop charging" function on the charger should work every time and i generally use it if i'm near the charger when i'm ready to disconnect. i use the MME charge port unlock button if i'm near the port when i'm ready or pressing "stop charging" on the charger didn't accomplish the task.

in all cases, wait for the ring to change to white before physically disconnecting.

geftsnowball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E, Grabber Blue, Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This was my experience as well the first time. After reading other questions like this #2 then I see the lights change and an audible click, otherwise incorrect error messages!
Sponsored