So, President Biden is here at the Rouge right now…

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
“What does that have to do with batteries and charging”, you ask? He just commented that the government is planning on helping get 50,000 chargers installed across our roadways.
Here’s to hoping.
Sponsored

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
“What does that have to do with batteries and charging”, you ask? He just commented that the government is planning on helping get 50,000 chargers installed across our roadways.
Here’s to hoping.
If it changes the subject on the front page, go for it. My fear is that areas that could benefit most (high population/no apartment charging avail.) will not be heard and that affluent areas (and corporations that can do this without subsidies ie: the Walmarts, etc.) will get the lion's share of the benefit.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Can someone please tell him to use ChargePoint so my stocks will go up?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
50,000 or 500,000 doesn't matter as much as the type of charger. Let's hope they are all DCFC and not L2
Speech said "About $15 billion of the amount would go to 500,000 new EV charging stations"
At $30,000 per charger that means DCFC.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
True, we don't necessarily need them all to be DCFC - but there is a case to be made for most of them being DCFC. L2 is cheap enough even for apartment complexes to invest in putting some in anyway, potentially just passing the costs on to the users. It's not perfect, but L2 is orders of magnitude cheaper than DCFC and thus not necessarily the right place to focus. Power companies and states could help there; federal money should go to situations where it is unprofitable and expensive to put infrastructure. I view it in the same vein as the Eisenhower Interstate system, TVA, hoover dam, and so many other large infrastructure projects that neither private industry nor states can afford. Just like those projects, the Fed would kick in enough money to build them but they would not be owned by the fed. In rural and urban communities alike DCFC would ensure access to reasonably fast and available charging so that BEV's can hit a majority adoption rate.

The number one concern people have is range anxiety, and the best way to allay that concern is if charging can be done reliably, quickly and everywhere. A 150+ kw DCFC can service several dozen cars a day, whereas an L2 is only good for 1 or 2 - overnight or all day at work. L2 chargers take way too long to charge and thus won't make nearly a big enough dent in the problem. 500,000 L2 chargers might get another 1 or possibly 2 million BEV's on the roads, but that is nowhere near good enough. We need 20 or 30 million on the road to appreciably cut down on CO2 emissions.

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Speech said "About $15 billion of the amount would go to 500,000 new EV charging stations"
Or it means $300 portable EVSE’s without an outlet anywhere nearby. And some corporate pandering so the execs can justify the 100x markup. It is the government. Sadly, this isn’t sarcasm.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I hope that really means 250,000 150+kw DCFC and maybe grants for another 250,000 L2 in urban areas. 50kw DCFC is a waste of resources; the general public isn't going to go for stopping an hour for every 2 to 3 hours of driving.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I think the average installed cost will likely be significantly more than $30K each. Especially for a government program.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Or it means $300 portable EVSE’s without an outlet anywhere nearby. And some corporate pandering so the execs can justify the 100x markup. It is the government. Sadly, this isn’t sarcasm.
It will also be nice if they try and target those places where L2 or L3 chargers might not be financially feasible to install but I don’t have my hopes up - I bet places like high-end malls will be all over getting government funded chargers.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I hope that really means 250,000 150+kw DCFC and maybe grants for another 250,000 L2 in urban areas. 50kw DCFC is a waste of resources; the general public isn't going to go for stopping an hour for every 2 to 3 hours of driving.
I'm sure it's a mix but there is clearly a lot of DCFC in there.
Sponsored