Charging Math, Miles Per Dollar - Is this right?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I admit to getting less tolerant of companies introducing half baked products, with poor support and then focusing on their bottom line, and not the customer.
This is common evolution as we get older.

For years we have put up with poor service, poor products and subpar everything. And we know it can be done better because we have experienced it and provided it ourselves. As we get older, tolerance for poor experiences decreases significantly.

I used to wonder why old people are so cranky and seem to complain about everything. I don't wonder why any more.
Sponsored

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
This is common evolution as we get older.

For years we have put up with poor service, poor products and subpar everything. And we know it can be done better because we have experienced it and provided it ourselves. As we get older, tolerance for poor experiences decreases significantly.

I used to wonder why old people are so cranky and seem to complain about everything. I don't wonder why any more.
dang it, now i know why i'm grumpy all the time: i'm getting old. 😎

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
dang it, now i know why i'm grumpy all the time: i'm getting old. 😎
If you want to avoid the inevitable, you have to be intentional about how you react to poor experiences. Be vigilant and don't give in to the temptation to be pissed off at every incompetent and rude person your meet. It's a daily struggle.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
I am not disputing the charges I know I will end up paying. I am disputing the lack of transparency, lousy customer service, and poorly written instructions.
tilting at windmills.

Regarding Authorization Hold charges; Yes I fully understand the concept and see it during many retail transactions. However, I would offer this observation: If a company is going to take "Authorization Hold" money from its customers, where does the money go? What do they do with it? What are the customers recovery options if the company fails? Far fetched? Consider this scenario; If a company has 1000 charging stations, that get used an average of 2 times per day, and 50% of those transactions have "Authorization Holds" at $30 each session, that equals $30,000 per day Interest on that @4% is $1200 annually. Also, the amount of cash flow, through their bank account annually is $10,950,00. In addition, that amount of financial transaction generates $237,750 dollars of credit card fees, that someone has to pay, normally the merchant.

Personally, I think the "Authorization Hold" concept is a legal scam because if a customer is using a valid credit card, the account is electronically validated instantly. As such the transaction is instantly valid and they will get paid. I say this because I owned 4 restaurants for 15 years, and we processed hundreds of thousands of credit card transactions millions of dollars and never, ever got screwed. An insufficient funds card was rejected on the spot and then the guest had to use a different card or cash. Also, none of use ever have "authorization holds" on credit card purchases at the gas pump for our ICE vehicles. So why the "authorization hold? I suggest it is a way to hoard the customers cash and profit from the transaction.
a couple of points since you continue to misunderstand the entire credit card processing system:
  • what you've argued against might plausibly be described as the debit card process but, again and as @dbsb3233 noted, the money isn't actually transferred - it is just blocked against either your credit limit (for credit card use) or your bank account balance (debit card use)
  • credit card processing operates on a rolling monthly disbursement timeline - not a realtime transaction timeline
  • all of these are a part of the system you signed up for (whether credit card or debit card) when you obtained your card so you voluntarily engaged in the process
your description of your restaurant's use of the system is incorrect but i'm glad you had competent staff to keep your business working correctly for you.

Another point about the ZEF system. As I understand it you have 2 options to pay to use their system.

Option 1. Download the app. Pre load it with cash, then use that balance when you charge up.

Option 2. Just use your Credit Card, on site, at the charger. They will debit your card $30 and then reconcile the bill later.

In both cases, they are taking your cash, ( hoarding it ) then reconciling later.
both cases you note above are voluntary options - you have at least three choices: use one of the options they offer or walkaway and don't do business with them.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Went past a sheetz and get go gas station in mars pa with a gas war at $2.95 gallon.
You’re not making me feel any better 🥴

a year ago at the height, petrol (your gas) was costing us equivalent to $11.45/gal 😬😬

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You’re not making me feel any better 🥴

a year ago at the height, petrol (your gas) was costing us equivalent to $11.45/gal 😬😬
Yikes! When I bought a newly built 3 bedroom home for $20000 in 1970 a gallon of gas cost $.29 no misprint twenty nine cents.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yikes! When I bought a newly built 3 bedroom home for $20000 in 1970 a gallon of gas cost $.29 no misprint twenty nine cents.
So the house has gone up like 25x since then but the gas has only gone up 12x. A bargain!

RWG

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You are right! An authorization hold does not mean they took money out of my account!. I stand corrected. However I still give them low marks for Transparency and poor Customer Service. I will be avoiding their locations in the future if possible. I am hopeful that the new deal with Tesla improves our statewide access to fast chargers, but I admit to being concerned about overuse of DC fast charges and potential collateral damage to the vehicle systems, i.e. relays and batteries.
Sponsored