So, President Biden is here at the Rouge right now…

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
I disagree. The Hummer is clearly a "Chelsea Tractor" so not surprised by the price tag, but given what Ford did with the Mach E I don't expect them to deviate from a winning strategy. They are playing to eat up market share not put out niche products like the Hummer, Model S, Taycan...

We'll find out this afternoon.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
On a slightly different topic:
Could someone explain the use case for chargers at airports to me? Maybe I’m missing something, but they make no sense. Suppose I’m headed to Orlando for a week of fun with Mickey and friends. If I go to the airport and plug my car into a charger, it will be completely charged, even at a slow level 2 charger, in less than 24 hours. For the rest of the week, it’s just going to sit there, blocking the charger from anyone else who may want to use it.
About the only people at airports I could see using chargers are those people picking up passengers and those people making quick turns (PHL-BOS-PHL for example).

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Apartment renting isn’t just for people with low incomes. Here’s a list of people who might rent for reasons other than their income:
1) young people
2) single people
3) people who live in cities
4) people who are recently separated/divorce
5) people who recently moved to a new location
6) retired people who wish to downsize

Please step out of your bubble for a moment. In order to fully understand the issue you’re discussing, and how to solve it, you need to realize that not every patch of land in this country is identical to the one you’re currently inhabiting.
I hate to break it to you, but you listed nearly all the reasons people might be low(er) income.

Back on topic. Is there any truth to the internet rumors that Biden wasn't actually driving that F150? There's a lot of memes and videos that purport to show the passenger having a steering wheel as well.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Yo! Lighting Git in my Garage....

So where does one order one. Or does the order book only open after the reveal. Any pointers would be appreciated.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Back on topic. Is there any truth to the internet rumors that Biden wasn't actually driving that F150? There's a lot of memes and videos that purport to show the passenger having a steering wheel as well.
I really doubt it, if he wasn’t allowed to drive it, he just wouldn’t have. Also lots of press and Ford employees around. They’d all have to be in on it and even then, if someone wanted to leak it anonymously they’d know they could probably easily get away with it if it was a ‘secret’ that a couple dozen outsiders were in on and had to keep.

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Could someone explain the use case for chargers at airports to me? Maybe I’m missing something, but they make no sense. Suppose I’m headed to Orlando for a week of fun with Mickey and friends. If I go to the airport and plug my car into a charger, it will be completely charged, even at a slow level 2 charger, in less than 24 hours. For the rest of the week, it’s just going to sit there, blocking the charger from anyone else who may want to use it.
About the only people at airports I could see using chargers are those people picking up passengers and those people making quick turns (PHL-BOS-PHL for example).
I know several friends that drive close to 200 miles to a major airport. If someone were to drop them off/pick them up, they would likely need a charge to make it back home.

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
That’s possible. I wonder if there’s a market for an EV concierge service at the airports???
Like “I’ll be back Thursday at 4:45pm, if you could have it on the charger then, I’ll set it to precondition”. Then they park your car in a regular space until 8 hours before you get back so it can be charged for your return.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
All I'm going to say is this. If you think you want this ford lighting.................better get that order in quick. It's going to sell out faster than anything. It's that awesome. This a truck to do truck things. Ford knocked it out of the park again.
"How do I install a transfer switch to power my home with my Lightning?" will become the equivalent of "How do I install an L2 charger at home to power my Mach-E?"

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
As a street parker, I love the free on-airport charging in the short term parking at SFO, and try to be as close to empty as I can when I get there ?. My last visit it was charging at 3kw/hour, so it's definitely slow.

As mentioned by someone above, it's great for people driving a long way to the airport, who may not have enough charge to get all the way back home. Thinking about my cousin in Mendocino where it's 175 miles each way.

By definition, it's "short term" parking and it's expensive, like $36 a day, so you might get some people parking for up to a week, but I'd bet the majority are looking at less than 3 days. Considering it took my car about 25 hours to go from 10ish% to full, hopefully there's not too much idle time going on.
Sponsored