So, President Biden is here at the Rouge right now…

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
I agree, but Level 3 doesn’t come close to achieving this, either. We’re another jump in battery tech away from this. For now we need more L2 around town, and more L3 mid-point and end-point locations.

I think we should build for the future. CCS-2 allows up to 500 amps charging. CharIN which is really CCS-3 is working on speeds up to 2 MW. Mostly for trucks but there is a version for passenger cars compatible with CC-2.

Even a 500 amp 1000 v (low voltage) systems charging @ 500 kw, you can get ~ 100 kwh in 10-15 minutes. That is very close to Gas. Though I think even faster speeds will come longer term.

I think the L2's should be abandoned for most public charging (maybe in a handful of places) everything but home. Even at home the amps keep increasing. 40 amp 9.6 kw seems to be the recommendation for now. but the temptation will always be there to go faster.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
While I think you may be right about 250,000 DCFC being too many, I am not sure where you got your information. According to the US government you are off by a factor of 4:

Ford Mustang Mach-E So, President Biden is here at the Rouge right now… Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.40.01 PM

As any Tesla owner in California will tell you, as the number of Teslas on the road has hit 1.5 million, charging stations of even 20 stalls in busy locations are too few- which is why Tesla is now building 50+ charger installations. To service tens of millions of BEVs on the highways sites with 10 or fewer chargers will be too small except in more rural locations. We'll call a good average size 20, spaced 50 miles apart.

20 * 164,000 / 50 miles = 65,000 on the highways

If one assumes your figure of 47 million apartment dwellers is correct, it is virtually impossible to get L2 chargers for the millions that will have BEVs. A more practical approach is for those apartment dwellers who can't get L2 to continue to follow the "gas station" model and have centralized FAST charging that they'll frequent a few times a month. That means DCFC chargers for them as well, and quite a few in larger cities.

RW Journey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford MME FE
Country flag
I agree we won't need 500K L3 chargers but if you have an Apt complex with say 100 units and only 4% of them have EV's, it could still create enough of a "charging" headache that people refuse to adopt them. Society has a touch of "instant gratification syndrome" these days... just saying