So what does the button by the charge port do?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I just got my car last night. Brought it home and plugged it into the FCCS. This morning, I expected to unplug it by just pressing down on the black button on the charge handle and pulling out. No dice. After trying a few times, I pressed the button in the middle of the light circle. The light circle flashed blue, then turned white, then I could remove the charge handle. By the way, the FCCS was slowly pulsing blue while the car was plugged in. Haven’t looked up yet. Also, the car claims 239 miles at 100% (yes, I reset and it’s an ER AWD).

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
So what does the button by the charge port do?
I have a Ford Connected Charge Station. I have never had to use the lighted lock button to remove the nozzle. I just checked again. Different story at some commercial chargers. I do use the thumb button though - but only to remove the nozzle. I usually don’t use the thumb button when inserting the nozzle.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It's weird that people are seeing different results. I'm not even sure that the EVSE is capable of telling the car to lock it in place, so that decision is likely coming from the car. But then why are some people seeing them get locked while others aren't? Maybe it's a result of differing BMU software versions? I've only charged from my ChargePoint Home Flex, but it hasn't locked the connector. I plan to plug into a commercial ChargePoint station at work tomorrow, so I'll see what that one does.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
The thumb button is locked when in use foe my OpenEVSE as well...
weird - my Mach-E is on my OpenEVSE, charging right now, and the thumb button worked as expected; it's not locked. (I literally just tested it.)

EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
weird - my Mach-E is on my OpenEVSE, charging right now, and the thumb button worked as expected; it's not locked. (I literally just tested it.)
Yes, I have to correct myself also... The button wasn't locked this morning. I swear it has happened before though...

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Yes, I have to correct myself also... The button wasn't locked this morning. I swear it has happened before though...
oh, I know, you were just doing an April Fools post! ?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It's weird that people are seeing different results. I'm not even sure that the EVSE is capable of telling the car to lock it in place, so that decision is likely coming from the car. But then why are some people seeing them get locked while others aren't? Maybe it's a result of differing BMU software versions? I've only charged from my ChargePoint Home Flex, but it hasn't locked the connector. I plan to plug into a commercial ChargePoint station at work tomorrow, so I'll see what that one does.
As best as I understand the process....there is a voltage signal that let's the car know if a J1772 or CCS connector. Volt reading below a certain range is CCS while volt ranges above that range is J1772. I wonder if the FCWC is providing a low volt signal and causing that lock to activate?

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
What charger do you have? I have a Grizzl-E and I find that I need to push the button to get it to release.
I too have a Grizzl E When the car is charging at a high rate it will lock the plug. But if it is in a standby mode like preconditioning, or out of the charge time set. It doesn't.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I've used all of my EVSE's (except the Ford mobile charger LOL) and none of them have locked the plug to the car (for reference: JuiceBox, Clipper Creek, and Bosch EVSE's).

I've even used a few public Level-2's and never had the car lock the plug either.

Johnny B

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium RWD 2017Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Occupation
Retired Software Developer
Country flag
Have the Ford Connected Charger. Never have had to use anything but the thumb button to remove the handle.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I know this goes back year already but I had thought that when FCDC the car , the plug is locked if the car doors are locked.

when I was charging at an EA station the other day and car was locked I pressed the button to stop the DCFC and was able to release the plug.

Guess I was wrong

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I know this goes back year already but I had thought that when FCDC the car , the plug is locked if the car doors are locked.

when I was charging at an EA station the other day and car was locked I pressed the button to stop the DCFC and was able to release the plug.

Guess I was wrong
My old comment was in regards to Level 2 charging. The car does lock the connector when DCFC.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My old comment was in regards to Level 2 charging. The connector does lock to the car when DCFC.
Then pressing the button on the port won’t release it when the car is locked?

I pressed that button, charge stopped while car was locked and was able to put handle back on EA unit.

will have to check again next time I DCFC.