Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Long Range Red
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
Electrify America has announced a number of charging infrastructure improvements, one of them being installing solar panels at their public charging facilities. Hmmm.

We have 34 south facing solar panels which provide just enough juice to power our Level 2 charger at approximately 9 kwh, How many of those panels is it going to take to power even one 150 kWh charging station, not to mention a facility that has multiple 350 kWh and 150 kWh stations? Without doing the math I can say with certainty - a whole bunch. Probably enough to completely fill a Walmart parking lot, which is where many of the fast chargers are in the PNW.

Currently charging at an “up to” 350 kWH station which is charging most of the time below 100 kWh, which is likely dictated by the Mach-e.
I wonder what existing EV can even get close to 350?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Electrify America has announced a number of charging infrastructure improvements, one of them being installing solar panels at their public charging facilities. Hmmm.

We have 34 south facing solar panels which provide just enough juice to power our Level 2 charger at approximately 9 kwh, How many of those panels is it going to take to power even one 150 kWh charging station, not to mention a facility that has multiple 350 kWh and 150 kWh stations? Without doing the math I can say with certainty - a whole bunch. Probably enough to completely fill a Walmart parking lot, which is where many of the fast chargers are in the PNW.

Currently charging at an “up to” 350 kWH station which is charging most of the time below 100 kWh, which is likely dictated by the Mach-e.
I wonder what existing EV can even get close to 350?

the strategy for rural, non-interstate, L3 charging is 'boost chargers'.

these stations have on-board 100-200 kWhr battery, which charge at a nice steady 20-30 kw and pound out 150kW charge when needed..... the idea is to avoid 'demand charge' rates common with 3-phase 480v service.

This is a great solution for businesses/roadside chargers that have 'low volume' charging, but would like to provide L3 charge speed when possible. Basically, you get 150kw if the station has had time to recharge and 20-30kw 'worst case' if not.

Mach-e is 150kw max, so....... road trips are just gonna be somewhere between 150kw-20kw for the next couple years.

OP
OP

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
Thanks! Glad to see they are really making a substantial investment in this technology. I see they are offsetting electrical use from their systems by supplying the grids energy generated from large solar farms. So not directly supplying the chargers from local or onsite solar in most cases, but doesn’t really matter. They are replacing the usage. Thanks for the detailed information delivered with a friendly attitude.

CYBER-O

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E4X
Occupation
Independant IT Consultant, Lyft & Uber driver
Country flag

We have 34 south facing solar panels which provide just enough juice to power our Level 2 charger at approximately 9 kwh, How many of those panels is it going to take to power even one 150 kWh charging station, not to mention a facility that has multiple 350 kWh and 150 kWh stations? Without doing the math I can say with certainty - a whole bunch.
I would hazard a guess the panels are meant to supplement hydro use rather than completely replace it, thus reducing their costs.

OP
OP

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
Not sure what you mean by hydro use?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
People in Canada seem to use the term "hydro" when referring to electricity, since much of their power is from dams, unlike the US.

OP
OP

Mandretti

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Musician
Country flag