[SOLVED] Chime sound whenever door is open

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
UPDATE: The headlights got bumped (or changed by Ford Dealership after I brought it in for a software update to fix the does-not-like home voltage issue) from AUTO to ON. I have always kept headlights on Automatic since automatic headlights were a feature so it never occured to me that could be the reason for the constant chimes. Thank you for your help!

UPDATE 2: Seems the root cause might be a software bug in the car. The amber light next to the headlight knob was not on “On” position; it wasn’t on at all (though it behaved light it was in the “on” position). This same thing has happened to others. To fix, “wake up” the headlight knob by moving it, and place it back into the “automatic” position.

————-

Does anyone else have a chime sound play whenever a door is open on their Mach-E? Doesn’t matter if the car is on or off. If a door is open, there is a sound that plays. It used to not do that, but now it happens 100% of the time and is pretty annoying. Does anyone know if there is a setting to turn off the sound or what might be causing it? Thank you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
The only time mine chimes when the door is opened is when the car is on.

SONEWBE

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine did the same thing. I had to turn the headlights to “ON” and then back to “AUTO”.

OP
OP

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Check you head light setting. Make sure it is on “auto”.
That was it! Thank you so much. It must have got knocked from Auto to “on” at some point.

Feedback for Ford if they are reading this: Display a message on the screen if the lights are left on so owners know why the door is chiming.

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
That was it! Thank you so much. It must have got knocked from Auto to “on” at some point.

Feedback for Ford if they are reading this: Display a message on the screen if the lights are left on so owners know why the door is chiming.
I think it is a bug too. It’s happened twice to me and I’m 99% sure I didn’t change it.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Doesn't it show the headlight indicator on the dashboard?

All of my previous Ford vehicles would chime when the door's open, like yours did, and also illuminate the headlight indicator in the dash.

OP
OP

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I am not sure if there was an icon on the dash; I never pay attention to those tiny things. There definately was no am er light at all on the headlight knob. Between observations here and other forums, this seems to be a bug in the car software. It gets stuck on “on”, despite no one moving the knob to the knob position. The amber headlight setting indicator light turns off when this bug is encountered.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help! Hopefully this is something Ford can located and fix with a software update.

mjschillingtec

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Grabber Blue; BMW 328i Convertible
Occupation
Business
Country flag
same issue with the auto headlight setting not being retained in the car memory

PaulP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
UPDATE 2: Seems the root cause might be a software bug in the car. The amber light next to the headlight knob was not on “On” position; it wasn’t on at all (though it behaved light it was in the “on” position). This same thing has happened to others. To fix, “wake up” the headlight knob by moving it, and place it back into the “automatic” position.
Thank you, I had the same exact problem and it solved it! It was driving me mad today!!!

My parents had the same problem with the chime but I never had to diagnose it since their screen went dark almost at the same time. They had to reset the car at the dealer (which took them 4 days since the car was kind of bricking itself when they tried to update it). When the car came back, the chime was gone.

ncaadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
Holy crap - this just happened to me the other day and I was convinced I never touched the light knob (because I’ve practically never touched the light knob…)

I assumed it was a bug
Sponsored