Debbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I saw a FB pic that showed a movie streaming on the MME display, but having issues with my ipad and couldn’t read any of the comments. Does anyone know how to stream what is on your ipad on the screen? Would be cool to be able to do that while charging the car.
Sponsored

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
fwiw assuming it's the same FB post I saw, the comments had the poster claiming they had done their own hack software on a Raspberry Pi to do it. I'd just buy what @DaMeatMan pointed you to, especially since the FB post was fishy.

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
Was enjoying the netflix/hulu entertainment apps on the tesla 3 today while I charged. Hope Ford can do that for the Mach e

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Just keep in mind you are putting everything and anything that goes through your phone into a Chinese box that has access to the internet.
It has nothing to do with your phone - this gadget is projecting its display via CarPlay. Apps being projected are not running on your phone.

Besides, I would be far more concerned with a driver watching Netflix in a moving car than his having a "Chinese box connected to the Internet".

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Oh okay, so you don't need a phone to make CarPlay work right??

Every single setup video I've watched with these you pair them to your phone. It has access to your phone and as such could send or access whatever it wants. It could be pretty simple to have that device be malicious.

Dunno, guess its jut the IT Security in me, I would not trust the device. That said, if I could pay for the unlimited HotSpot in my car and have the device connect to that and have Netflix and such work then I'd be down for that. The Chineese can have my netflix account if they want it :D

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I have this device, along with this USB Flash memory, and it works great for streaming video content from Netflix as well as locally stored content:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095R6W43N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Q41PM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The device is a slowish Chinese Android device that talks the wired CarPlay protocol to the Mach E. You plug the gadget into your USB-A or USB-C port, and the Mach E thinks it's talking to an iPhone, but it gives you an unlocked unfettered Android device with a hacked Play Store on it to basically load and run any app on your car screen. Sound comes thru the Mach-E's speakers. (Note the gadget makers have named their device in CarPlay's protocol to be "PlayStation" so that is what will show up instead of "Jimmy's iPhone" when seeing the device name on the Mach-E's screen).

You can, for example, download content from Netflix onto the extra memory storage when in your garage, so that you can play it while charging etc without using a hotspot.

You can sideload any Android apps that won't install thru the Play Store if you have the technical skills to do so. The one app I haven't figured out how to get working yet is Disney Plus -- it installs thru sideloading, but it seems to realize it's on a hacked Chinese gadget speaking CarPlay, and it exits the app.

One word of slight caution: this device doesn't have a legitimate Google-blessed Play Store and account Play Services on it, and so I would not use a Google account on this one that I had anything I cared about in it. I created a new Google account just for this gadget, and there's nothing in the account (not even my payment method for the Play Store) just in case there's malware to suck up data or passwords from the account.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Streaming Netflix on the MME screen?? PXL_20211023_124003322

Tushargl016

First Name
Tushar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache
Occupation
SWE
Country flag
I have an android phone and you can do it just downloading some software on the phone, nothing needed on the MME. Pretty sure there is something similar on apple as well. You can play videos even when car is being driven with those

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I have an android phone and you can do it just downloading some software on the phone, nothing needed on the MME. Pretty sure there is something similar on apple as well. You can play videos even when car is being driven with those
You can accomplish this on an Android phone with some software, but it's cumbersome and you'll still have the bottom bar and top stuff too. So less screen real estate for the video you're playing. Search for something called AAAD on the XDA forums and this will let you install all the right stuff on your Android phone to use this to play video stuff.

You can't do anything like this on an iPhone without first jailbreaking it.

I like the gadget I have because, while more expensive, I just need to plug it in, and I don't have to mess around with my phone and I can play content to entertain my kids.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
This works great, but beware... Mine all broke when I upgraded to 12. Haven't had time to circle back and see if there are updates on XDA.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I have this device, along with this USB Flash memory, and it works great for streaming video content from Netflix as well as locally stored content:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095R6W43N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Q41PM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The device is a slowish Chinese Android device that talks the wired CarPlay protocol to the Mach E. You plug the gadget into your USB-A or USB-C port, and the Mach E thinks it's talking to an iPhone, but it gives you an unlocked unfettered Android device with a hacked Play Store on it to basically load and run any app on your car screen. Sound comes thru the Mach-E's speakers. (Note the gadget makers have named their device in CarPlay's protocol to be "PlayStation" so that is what will show up instead of "Jimmy's iPhone" when seeing the device name on the Mach-E's screen).

You can, for example, download content from Netflix onto the extra memory storage when in your garage, so that you can play it while charging etc without using a hotspot.

You can sideload any Android apps that won't install thru the Play Store if you have the technical skills to do so. The one app I haven't figured out how to get working yet is Disney Plus -- it installs thru sideloading, but it seems to realize it's on a hacked Chinese gadget speaking CarPlay, and it exits the app.

One word of slight caution: this device doesn't have a legitimate Google-blessed Play Store and account Play Services on it, and so I would not use a Google account on this one that I had anything I cared about in it. I created a new Google account just for this gadget, and there's nothing in the account (not even my payment method for the Play Store) just in case there's malware to suck up data or passwords from the account.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Streaming Netflix on the MME screen?? PXL_20211023_124003322
Oof. $300 is a bit steep

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company has said this is a future enhancement, but its release has been “retimed” to “ensure the highest quality customer experience.” It should arrive shortly after fixing the Sync bugs, delivering BluesCruise, and delivering an operating electronic frunk release: sometime between next year and never.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Check out the carlinkit Android box and the ApplePie Android box. I’m considering one of those myself. These provide enhanced app capabilities but break the conveniences such as making/taking calls and messages over CarPlay and Siri inputs, to name a few. These devices can pair with a hotspot or accept a SIM card.

I’ve also contacted Naviks regarding the development of a video in motion module for the Sync 4a system, that would allow the input of an HDMI source (FireTV, AppleTV, other streaming device), that could be used when charging or any other time I may be idling.
Sponsored